Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 2018 - Current Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-26-2018, 07:48 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Lakewood Ranch , Florida
Newbie owner

Hi everyone,

We are waiting to take delivery on our new Globetrotter in July, but had a few questions. If you are going to use a water softener and an inline water filter, any preference to what order they are in the setup? Also, I see that some people add inverters to their trailer. For what reasons? Also, do people get the surge protector that goes between the end of the rv amp line and the electrical box? Any help would be greatly appreciated! I will post pics when we have her home!
Yabadab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:37 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabadab View Post
Hi everyone,

We are waiting to take delivery on our new Globetrotter in July, but had a few questions. If you are going to use a water softener and an inline water filter, any preference to what order they are in the setup? Also, I see that some people add inverters to their trailer. For what reasons? Also, do people get the surge protector that goes between the end of the rv amp line and the electrical box? Any help would be greatly appreciated! I will post pics when we have her home!
Congradulations on your new AS. Hope you enjoy your new toy.

Response to your water softener, water filter questions. Usually I use the water softener w/o the water filter. On occasion when I don't properly back flush the water softener after I add salt, some of the salt passes through. When that happens I use the water filter "after" the softner to clean it up the salt taste until I can back flush properly.

Not sure with the Globe Trotter models but more recent AS models already have inverters installed. Inverters make AC (house current) current from DC (12 volt battery) current. Typically inverters are used when shore power is not available and you need to run a small AC appliance like a coffee maker or TV for a short period of time. If you have an inverter, you will see inverter AC outlets next to some of your normal AC outlets with a "blue" tag on them saying for inverter use. Also you will see on your "control pannel" a button saying "Push for Inverter"

IMO of all of the after maket goodies you can purchase, a proper surge protector is mandetory to protect your investment. RV parks, including some of the fancy ones, are known to have improperly wired power posts than can cause major electrial failures in your AS. (I learned this one the hard way). Make sure what ever brand you purchase has the following mimum capabilities: 1) Protection against power spikes or surges; 2) Protection against low voltage, high current draw; 3) Protection against reversed wiring
polarity and/or open ground. If it has any other protection features besides these three major ones consider it gravey.

Good luck and safe travels
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
I put the filter before the softener to keep crud out of the softener.

I have only used the softener once, when we spent four months using well water on a limestone mountain.

We use the external surge suppressor at every campground that has an electric hookup. We started with the suppressor sold by camping world, but it did not last (poor quality electrical contacts). We now have the one from Progressive. Recommended.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:51 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Lakewood Ranch , Florida
Thanks for the info everyone!
Old 05-29-2018, 06:45 AM   #5
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Congrats on your new GT.

It definitely has an inverter. And I agree with others that a surge protector is a good investment. Did you order your GT with dual A/C's? If so you will need a 50A surge protector. Otherwise 30A is required.

What colors scheme did you choose?

Enjoy!
Hans627 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:40 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Lakewood Ranch , Florida
We did get the 2 AC units being in Florida. The boss picked the London Grey. We hope to hit the local rally in November. Thanks for the advice all!