Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2018, 10:13 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Albert Lea , Minnesota
Equalizer not working

Hello

My little piece of heaven is a new GT and a 2015 Ram 1500.

The issue is the Equalizer does not level the truck and trailer. The truck front is approx 4+ inches taller than the rear end.

The Equalizer is the four point with 10,000 lbs and 1,000 lbs tongue weight. The ball is at a small pitch down and has three washers on the ball assembly.
The truck bed is empty as is the back seat area.

Would raising the bracket on the trailer frame lower the truck front?

I am really at a loss. Help is much appreciated.
sheinzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Go to Equalizer website for proper setup instructions.Very easy if u follow the instructions
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, you will find that 5 or 6 washers works for most set-ups. Three barely does anything.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:24 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Albert Lea , Minnesota
Thanks

Apparently I should not have relied on the dealer installation.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Yes, you don't have enough WD dialed in. It'll take more washers. Usually 5-6 as above but I've heard some use 7.

It really also depends on the position of L brackets on the tongue where the WD bars sit. You may need to lift them up by 1 hole. But give the washer a try first.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:41 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Albert Lea , Minnesota
Yes, the L brackets

Looking at the L brackets today the do look quite low (only one empty hole on top. I'll start with the washers though.

Thank you all for your help.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:24 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Bellaire , Texas
I followed the Equalizer website instructions and I am very pleased with the results. I jumped from 5 washers to seven. I raised the l-shape brackets and now I have very good weight distribution. Take the measurements first and make sure the trailer is level. Then make sure the hitch ball on your TV is approximately even with your coupler on the trailer. Follow the instructions.
morrismaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:44 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Albert Lea , Minnesota
Too Darned Busy

Wife's mother just had her 101st birthday so no chance to readjust the Equalizer. Too much birthday cake these days.

Looked at the three washers and it appears that they are copper. Are the washers specific to the system? I did not get any additional washers from the dealer. Do I need washers specifically from Equalizer?
Old 04-23-2018, 06:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
They are hardened steel washers. You can buy them at ACE Hardware here in the east. BTW: My Equal-i-zer manual says four washers are the minimum, eight is maximum.
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:37 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheinzer View Post
Looked at the three washers and it appears that they are copper. Are the washers specific to the system? I did not get any additional washers from the dealer. Do I need washers specifically from Equalizer?
I asked Equalizer that exact question when I first installed my hitch. They answered that they are hardened steel, gave me the size (1/2"(??)) Take one with you, or buy several sizes, a package of four is about $2.
and I bought some from Lowe's in the fastener bins. Grade 7 washers.
But start with the truck ball at the correct height. (I recall 17.75) You can move the hitch head up and down on the shank. (1 1/8" socket and a breaker bar) Then use the washers to fine tune the adjustment. I use six. I'd have to look at my trailer to see which hole the "L" brackets are mounted in.

When set up correctly, there's no way I could pry the bars onto the "L" pads using the tool. I have to raise the hitch and truck both using the electric jack, then once the bars are on, lower it all down.

BTW, the washers flatten down after a while, and you'll develop a gap between the set bolt and the shank. Re-adjust.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:16 AM   #11
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
If it’s not too late consider removing the jack bolt under the head and install with head contacting shank instead of threaded end.

The threaded end can get smashed and damaged. By putting bolt head against shank, no damage. Access is slightly hampered but not bad.

Consult manual for setup as noted.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:42 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
If it’s not too late consider removing the jack bolt under the head and install with head contacting shank instead of threaded end.

The threaded end can get smashed and damaged. By putting bolt head against shank, no damage. Access is slightly hampered but not bad.
Gary
I had to read that several times to understand. Now I get it. Flip the bolt over. I never thought of doing that, but it makes sense. Of course, if you never remove the adjustment bolt, you don't care.
Or replace the adjustment bolt with a grade 7 version and I doubt it would ever get damaged.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:56 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheinzer View Post
Looking at the L brackets today the do look quite low (only one empty hole on top. I'll start with the washers though.
In searching Google for images of Airstreams with Equalizer hitches, it appears that most have one empty hole above the frame/L bracket.
I want to think mine has two, but it's at the storage yard, I'll double check next time. Mine was adjusted by the dealer's "expert", and he spent a couple hours tweaking.
It drives great, so I hate to make changes.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:42 PM   #14
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I had to read that several times to understand. Now I get it. Flip the bolt over. I never thought of doing that, but it makes sense. Of course, if you never remove the adjustment bolt, you don't care.
Or replace the adjustment bolt with a grade 7 version and I doubt it would ever get damaged.

It’s those threads getting beat up right at the end. Then if you back it out, ouch.

FWIW I just tweaked a noobs equalizer install. It had too long of a shank on hitch ball and bar socket crunched it during tight turn, hitch head bolts loose big time, jack screw on bottom not tightened and applying pressure to head adj washers.

Thunka thunka thunka.

No biggy, the entire head was moving up and down over bumps. Replaced ball with correct shank length. Tightened head bolts.

All installed on new hitch by a MAJOR RV place.

I have a BIG breaker bar, sockets and not afraid to use ‘em.

Gary
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 04-23-2018, 02:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
I agree — size matters.

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:28 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Bellaire , Texas
New Airstream. Dealer installed a weight distribution hitch and did not install it correctly; rode really rough and loud noises, no weight distribution. Took the hitch off and received credit for it after a big argument... went to another RV dealer and told them to put on a Equalizer since I liked it on first AS. “We install a hundred a month...”! They installed it wrong; truck front end up, too low on the rear, trailer not level, no weight distribution, etc... I took everything apart after watching the videos and reading the documentation. I am proud of my work! It all looks good and has good measurement numbers. Most importantly both TV and AS are level and weight distribution is engaged!
morrismaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:38 PM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
None of these are finished until the rig is on the scale. 100% FALR is the starting point for maybe a bit more, or a bit less.

Eyeball or fender measurements are no more than a rough-in. The TT is “level” if a level placed across doorframe says it is.

And, yes, the final small adjustments are crucial. Thus the need for a CAT Scale. See those threads.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
It’s those threads getting beat up right at the end.
The bolt pushes against the shank. It doesn't turn. It doesn't wear a hole in the shank.
So it might bung up one thread. How else are the threads being damaged?
I thought a solution might be to add a nut to the bolt, and let it ride on the shank. But in the end, I've never removed the bolt, and I accept the wear of one thread, as did the engineers at Equalizer.

Quote:
I have a BIG breaker bar, sockets and not afraid to use ‘em. Gary
It's how I acquire all my tools, one at a time. I put two breaker bars and the sockets for them under the back seat of the truck, just in case. Oh, and a three foot section of pipe, just in case. I call it my "torque amplifier".

I must say I was happy with the dealer install, but....
I found my hitch used. That's good, because it was a great value. The bad part is the dealer refused to install a hitch they didn't sell. I get it, they make $300 selling hitches and slapping them on. But I couldn't leave with the new Airstream until we had a hitch, and I was prepared to install the "L" brackets myself. It was 90 degrees and I was there all day already. So we compromised. They charged me for one hour's labor and their "hitch guy" mounted and adjusted the "L" brackets. He didn't touch the part on the truck, and I had set the height according to the web site along with 4 washers. He earned every penny. He had a dedicated truck with an air compressor for tools and spent two hours tweaking. It drove like a dream on the way home.
Since then I've added one washer. I do need to take it to the Cat scale, but I hesitate to change things because it sits level and drives like you hoped for.
The washers don't get thinner, but because they're stamped, they're not perfectly flat to start and they flatten out as they're used. Periodic adjustment of the pivot bolt is necessary.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:58 PM   #19
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
The bolt pushes against the shank. It doesn't turn. It doesn't wear a hole in the shank.
So it might bung up one thread. How else are the threads being damaged?
Mollysdad,

That it, threads get chewed up as you tighten. I turned it over a couple of years ago.

In this video I asked Equal-I-Zer the question or more like commented about flipping the bolt

Even got a response from Equal-I-Zer

"Interesting idea Gary. Glad it's working for you. Thanks for chiming in!"

Gary
Old 04-23-2018, 06:11 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
with you TV and a normal load but no tallier , measure the road to wheel well distance. save this number for all four wheels

hopefully the L & r are the same at the front lets say they = 24"
measure the L & R are at the back, lets say t they =23"

if L & R do not match , front or rear, find out why

THEN

follow the OEM instructions. Your TV will be WD properly if the deltas with the trailer on is the same

ie the front = 21" and the rear is 20". just as you had a 1" spread no load, you want the same with the load

again with WD and the trailer, see if L & R do not match , front or rear, find out why
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote