Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2018, 02:13 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Belvedere , California
Advice - 25FB vs 27FB

Been lurking here for about a year or so. We have decided to purchase the Globetrotter and are trying to decide between the 25FB and 27FB with Twin Beds. Based on what dealer is saying and what i have read in the forum, the main reason (or an important one) the 27 is chosen is to have the larger area around the Queen bed. However, we are keen on the Twin bed so that is not an issue. Therefore seems to come down to having a bit more room in the pantry and double closet space. We are not full timers and are thinking that perhaps the extra space in those two areas are nice but perhaps offset by having a slightly smaller trailer. But that assumes that a smaller trailer is enough of a benefit. Curious how you think about handicapping the smaller trailer vs. the larger trailer in terms of benefits. is it noticeable? slightly lighter but that doesn't matter so much. i think i noticed that the tongue weight might actually be higher in the 25 vs the 27?

anyway, looking for opinions on the tradeoffs and what people think.

Andrew
AKahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
I kept reading about 2 ft it is. That is keep wanting 2 ft more trailer. So when I sold my 25' I went right to the 27 so I would only buy one more trailer.

25' vs 27' The price was not much different so as this is definitely my last trailer I went with the 27 twin which is scheduled to be built mid January

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:21 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Grand Junction , CO - Colorado (U.S. State)
We went from a 21 Rockwood to a 27 GT. We really debated the size issue since we like to boondock a bunch.
Many trips after the fact I have to say the length has not been an issue. We love our 27 and have not looked back. I have been in the 25. They are nice, but I do appreciate the extra 2 feet.
Either way, you will most likely be happy. There is nothing better than an Airstream.
Happy trails!
mrfallover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
We’ve been delighted with our 25FB Twin. It took some doing but we were able to get a microwave pull out in the hall closet which was the one thing that gave us pause. So far we’ve been able to take six week trips and remain married.

There were a few places I was glad we weren’t longer, mainly national park campgrounds , but only a few. Haven’t missed the extra space inside, probably because we’ve never had it.

Your stuff will expand to fill the space available.

My F150 would have been right at its limit with a 27.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
We ordered a 25’ but changed it to a 27’ early enough that it did not affect the build date. Glad we did because the extra room around the queen bed makes all the difference and the weight doesn’t matter to our truck. Might not matter as much if you’re getting twin beds but we’re not ready for that yet ��

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:18 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Truckee , California
We originally were after a 25FB, but the tongue weight is higher with the 25, so we ended up having to go to the 27FB to be able to pull it. So glad we have the extra space. We're not full-timers, but there is never enough storage.
SGandMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:47 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1960 28' Ambassador
Libertyville , Illinois
I went from a 26' to 31' trailer and did not notice any difference towing. I did notice a difference in backing up - not a deal breaker - just an adjustment to my technique. While the extra size is great with my kids, I plan to go shorter later in life. Reason being my goal to visit all of the National Parks. With that said a 25' is appealing because I have read that several have tight accommodations.
Short563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:09 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Clackamas , garyburke
We love our 27fb. Towing with a Tundra, does great. Nice to have extra storage but wish there was a little more legroom in the bathroom ��
gary1burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:16 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
New Orleans , Louisiana
State Parks & AC units

We have a 25 front bed twin and love it (my wife and I + two kids). We also like staying in the boonies & state parks which usually have length restrictions (several we have stayed at don't allow longer than 25'). Overall I'm happy with the 25 and have no desire to go any longer.

I believe the 27 has 2 AC units? -no big deal but we have a micro air on our single unit and can easily plug into a 20amp outlet or use honda 2000 propane geni when convenient/traveling if we really need air. If you plan to spend a lot of time with full hook ups, you may appreciate the second ac unit on the 27.

Not sure on tongue weights, but I know the 25 is HEAVY at 860 lbs with full propane & 2 upgraded deep cycle batteries (this is from my tongue scale/not the owner's manual). I am about at the limit of what my 2018 yukon denali can handle weight/axle-wise. The truck has more than enough motor (6.2L) and transmission (10-speed auto); the issue becomes how much weight is on your vehicle axles so you'll want to dial in your WD hitch (which will also pull some of the weight off of your tongue). If you go with a blue ox WD hitch, do yourself a favor and go with the 1500 lb bars (not the 1,000 lb bars recommended). Our 1,000 lb bars bent like blades of grass, and wouldn't move the weight to my front axle. The 1500lb bars are easier to connect, stabilize the ride much better, and take a LOT more weight off our our rear truck axle & put it on the front. I have found the dealers don't realize that your WD bars need to be able to not only lift your trailer tongue weight, but in order to truly transfer the weight to your vehicle's front axle you need to be able to pick up some of the rear of the truck too. I'm not a rocket scientist, but the CAT scales don't lie. If you aren't pulling with a 2500/HD where this isn't as much of an issue, please spend the time to use the CAT scales a few times to dial in your axle weights (it makes a MASSIVE difference in stability and comfort while towing, especially in high winds and when passing 18-wheelers).

Best of luck!
HunterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:17 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
We have a 25 FB with the queen bed. Most of the time it's just the two of us plus how ever many dogs we have at the time (at least one, as many as three). For us, the only reason we have "27'-envy" is the bed size and orientation. If that's not an issue for you, and if you travel the way we do, the 25' would work fine, is lighter overall and fits in less space for parking, camping and storage.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:32 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Cincinnati , Ohio
I purchased a 27’ twin 2 months ago. When I ordered it the 25’ wasn’t available. I was deciding between a 25’ FC and the Globetrotter. I am very pleased I got the extra 2’. The marginal cost is not significant. The 25’ queen looks stupid. The 27’ twin is visually more appealing by making the space look longer. 2 twins have more total square footage than the queen. Importantly, my wife wants her space.
Tomsap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:38 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Orange Beach , Alabama
Go with the 27

Robyn and I bought our 2018 27FB Twin bed AS in Feb. 2018. We are full timers and love our unit. The extra space over the 25’ has been very useful. We didn’t want to regret not going with the 27’. We have not regretted our decision. How cool for you...you have a win-win choice! Safe travels.
robertwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:43 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Madison , Wisconsin
We went 27' Twin. We came to our GT from some other brand that had a lot more storage. The extra storage in the 27 versus 25 helps to ease the transition for us. We used to have a sob unit that was just over 30' long, the 27 GT is 28 feet long and just barely fits into a "30 foot long" storage unit with mere inches to spare.
EricF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:49 AM   #14

Currently Looking...
Belvedere , California
all very helpful comments. appreciate it.

we will definately dial in the tongue weight/payload issues and get an appropriate TV - get to buy a new truck!!!

hard to decide. since we are going with Twin beds (which took us a long time to decide since we didnt even consider that in the beginning but after spending time in the unit, we really like the ability to use that space as additional sitting/talking etc.), the loss of the pantry space and closet is offset by the smaller trailer. the hard part for me is trying to get a handle on the value of a 2 ft smaller trailer if any. in other words, i understand what we would be giving up going to the 25 but harder to understand what we are getting. just intuitively, having a smaller trailer seems attractive.

appreciate everyone's thoughts. super helpful.
AKahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:29 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Nanoose Bay , British Columbia
We went with the 25 FB twin over the 27. We started with a $10,000+ CAD cost difference and asked what we’d get for it which was: a tiny bit more space at the end of the road side twin bed and a slightly larger coat closet and slightly wider kitchen drawers.

We didn’t like the 27’s tiny microwave in the pantry pull out (and loss of pantry space). We also did not like the 27’s shower base. In the 25 the shower base had a full length foot high shelf road side and a full length standing well curb side. In the 27 there was a smaller area to stand.

We are two adults and a black lab and we don’t use the storage space we have in the 25.

I have nothing against the 27 but it just didn’t make sense for us cost wise. It’s a personal choice.

The tongue weight is not an issue for me as we pull with a 1-ton with a huge payload capacity and we don’t stuff our trailer anyway.

By the way, the twin bed concept is great. It gives one a great feeling of space the full length of the trailer inside and the space between the beds is like having an extra room.
gnijman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:56 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
2013 27' Flying Cloud
El Prado , New Mexico
We've had both a 25 and now a 27, both with twin beds, like you want. In the 25, the bed buts right up to the bulkhead, making it more difficult to make up. The 27 gives you some extra room at the bottom of the bed. Seems like a small point, but it does make a difference over time. You mentioned closet and pantry space, and I'd suggest that that is also something you want to maximize.
Allons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
27 FB Twin here. Spent a good amount of time in all the layouts (25’ Globetrotter was not out when I purchased). I don’t have any camping experience in it yet—I don’t officially take the trailer off the lot until March.

But I’m writing to say that I’ve planned a trip from the Midwest to Alaska for next summer and have not had any issues with the 27’ length at any national park that I have made reservations. I know there are parks and campgrounds within parks that have length limitations that would prohibit a 27’ trailer, but I think most (but not all) of those would also prohibit a 25’ trailer. And perhaps any trailer when towed with a longer vehicle. No such restrictions along our route apparently.

If we (my family of 4, including 12 and 8 year old kids) were just weekending or if it was just my wife and I, a 25’ would be totally fine and maybe even preferable. We are all tent campers and avid travelers so we can pack pretty light. But I’m looking at 2.5-3 months in this thing next year—half of which will be just me and the kids—and I wanted more room for both living and for storage (they are relatively small humans still but are accompanied by more shoes/boots, clothes, food etc.)
Old 12-13-2018, 01:27 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Both are great Airstreams. I prefer a bit more space. Decide what is most important to you.
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:32 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Rockaway , New Jersey
Thumbs up 27 v 25

We just got a 2017 27FB twin from Colonial.

I agree with your thinking, and would have taken a 25' if it was available.
To me, the shorter trailer is better and the larger closet not worth the trade off..

That said - I took the advice of many here on the forum to buy used if possible, as the unit is pre tested for issues, and since only 27' was available, that is where I went.

So far, so good - but again, a 25' would be a bit more maneuverable.
Tomfeury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:43 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
2021 30RB Classic
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Texas
We chose the 27 FBQ FB.

The main reasons .....

1. We didn’t want to be sleeping against the cold aluminum siding during cold weather camping.

2. The bed is easier to make when you can get on 3 sides of it.

3. Larger closet.
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote