Old 08-16-2019, 09:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
2020 fusion radio

My wife and I picked up our 2020 Globetrotter today. At the dealership we thought we tried everything, spent several hours there, but realized this evening when doing some "driveway camping" and turning on the Tv's and dvd player that we can't get audio from the DVD player or TV's through the Fusion radio. I can't figure out if it's something not hooked up correctly (since all the connections are concealed) or purely operator error. Anyone have experience in this? I figured I'd try tonight, I'll call the dealership tomorrow if need be, but hoping we don't have to make a day of summer disappear into a trip across state to the dealer for a dummy "you didn't press this button" scenario.

goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
This is just a guess as to your problem but it's a possibility. There will be multiple sources available (AM, FM, Bluetooth, Sirius, AUX) on your Fusion Apollo. AUX should be the source for DVD and TV sound and if you don't have it selected there will be no sound from those devices. If you don't know how to choose a source, hopefully AS included a Fusion owner's manual for the stereo.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

2018 30' Classic Twin (sold)
2020 25' Globetrotter Twin (inbound)
2017 F250 4x4 6.7 max tow Platinum
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Yes there’s 2 aux options and an optical. None of those work. Only am/fm and Bluetooth. The manual wasn’t much help. We even tried it on the fusion link app with no luck
Old 08-17-2019, 10:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
Too bad it wasn't something simple. Please post the resolution to your problem when it's resolved. Good luck.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Old 08-17-2019, 11:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Will do. It’s going back in for a few other fixes as well. I was just hoping it was an easy thing. There was a broken hdmi cord between the TV and the wall, I’m wondering if it took out a fuse behind the radio or something on that output, or maybe the plug was loose? Who knows but I didn’t want to take it apart to get access with it under warranty and me not knowing what holds it all in. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2886.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	237.9 KB
ID:	349677
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2887.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	349678
Old 08-17-2019, 08:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Well I had a nice talk with the dealer tech today, he's going to call the factory on Monday to confirm, but unless there is something we're both totally missing there actually is no audio wiring coming from the TV back to the fusion radio. I was able to slide my iPhone in and take a picture and confirmed there are no wires connected to the aux rca's on the back of the radio either. At first I thought that perhaps they were using ARC technology to feed sound back through the HDMI cable, but the TV isn't ARC compatible according to LG. With there being plenty of room behind the TV I'm considering for simplicity sake just adding one of these to the living room TV.

https://www.amazon.com/TROND-Bluetoo...ateway&sr=8-14

It comes with an adaptor to RCA and should pair up just fine and do the job. Maybe I'll hear back differently on Monday but I don't think so based on how it's wired. Still love the trailer, but odd to think they put such an amazing system in and potentially left out the TV's from the speaker system. I will say I love the Fusion-link app though. I'll update with the official answer in a few days.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
Hard to believe that they purposely designed the system so that TV audio or the DVD player won't play over the house speakers. My guess is that someone forgot to install the proper cabling between the TV and your Fusion head unit.

FWIW, the Samsung TV in our Classic has an HDMI connection to the TV (presumably from the DVD player) and then a stereo mini plug from the TV audio out which feeds RCA cables for the left and right audio channels to the Polk head unit.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Old 08-17-2019, 09:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
I don't disagree with you, but I see no signs of anything for that, no design for other wires, no ports on the walls or cut in the cabinets. From what I see the 2018-2019 units had the radio (which was polk) by the living area TV, and the wire would only have to run a few feet, and not much further to the bedroom TV, but with the radio relocated to the roof locker by the door means probably at least a 30 foot rca cable, and probably 20 feet for the living room. I can only assume it was a cost savings measure, but for sure a step back because man oh man does the audio system sound good!
Old 08-17-2019, 09:49 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Chicago area , Illinois
Just for clarification, only the head unit (called the “remote” in the Polk literature) in the 18-19 Globetrotters was under the TV. The amp and all the connections were run back to the upper locker where the DVD was.

I ended up replacing the TV with a 1080p version and running optical out for audio (to a converter which then utilizes the RCA inputs). Running new cable is not straightforward but very doable but I’d understand if it’s intimidating.

FWIW after getting the new TV onto the audio system I thought the factory audio layout sounded horrible, so maybe it’s not such a big deal that you can’t get audio on the trailer speakers. If you are listening at the rear window in the lounge as I do, the sound is projected above and away from on front of you. I added speakers and it now sounds incredible.

My mods are in the “Traveling with Tatay” thread in the “On the Road” forum.
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 11:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nryn View Post
Just for clarification, only the head unit (called the “remote” in the Polk literature) in the 18-19 Globetrotters was under the TV. The amp and all the connections were run back to the upper locker where the DVD was.
In our Classic the DVD, front TV, and Polk head unit are all located within a couple of feet of one another so I made an assumption about where the connections all terminated. Admittedly, I didn't trace everything out.

Regardless, it really does seem like a big step backward not to be able to play CD's, DVD's, or TV sound over the house speaker system. Even our 2017 Flying Cloud was set up to allow all inputs to play over the main speakers and now with the new Globetrotters it's not. Seems like an odd design choice.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Old 08-18-2019, 12:02 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Chicago area , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
Regardless, it really does seem like a big step backward not to be able to play CD's, DVD's, or TV sound over the house speaker system. Even our 2017 Flying Cloud was set up to allow all inputs to play over the main speakers and now with the new Globetrotters it's not. Seems like an odd design choice.

I’m not sure why they moved to the Fusion system. But really, the TV audio on the stock Polk system was a bit of a hack and sounded horrible. The audio out on the TV was a hacked set of RCA jacks that were soldered (I assume) to the TV speakers inside the TV and run through a hole drilled in the back of the TV casing. So not only were the acoustics bad, the TV speakers had be on as well.

It’s hard for me to say that removing all of that is a step backwards.
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nryn View Post
I’m not sure why they moved to the Fusion system. But really, the TV audio on the stock Polk system was a bit of a hack and sounded horrible. The audio out on the TV was a hacked set of RCA jacks that were soldered (I assume) to the TV speakers inside the TV and run through a hole drilled in the back of the TV casing. So not only were the acoustics bad, the TV speakers had be on as well.

It’s hard for me to say that removing all of that is a step backwards.
The arrangement in our Classic is different. The Samsung TV receives audio and video via an HDMI connector from the Blu-Ray player. The TV has a dedicated Audio Out jack that accepts a standard stereo mini-jack. This feeds a Y-connector which connects to regular RCA cables which presumably connect to the Polk head unit. No holes drilled, no hacked solder jobs, just typical audio connections. The resulting TV sound over the house speakers is hardly audiophile quality, but it's not bad and no worse from the TV or DVD/CD than it is from any of the other sources. For movies, we use the TV speakers to help localize dialog and the house speakers to expand the soundstage. It's no 11.2 Dolby Atmos system, but it's ok.

My thought is that while it's not a step backward to remove what was apparently a bastardized connection setup in your Globetrotter it's definitely a step backward to completely eliminate the ability to play movies, CD's and TV sound over properly connected house speakers.

BTW, the Fusion Apollo unit with 4 channel amp (26 watts RMS, 70 watts peak/channel) sells for $649.00 so it's not exactly a cheapo piece.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Old 08-20-2019, 07:41 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
I heard back from the head of service that JC confirmed that they are only running HDMI from the blue ray/dvd to the TV’s and not audio. I’ll report back how the Bluetooth works out, I’m ordering one this evening.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
I heard back from the head of service that JC confirmed that they are only running HDMI from the blue ray/dvd to the TV’s and not audio. I’ll report back how the Bluetooth works out, I’m ordering one this evening.
To make sure I understand, you're saying that AS is only running HDMI (which by definition contains both audio and video signals) to the TV but provides no separate audio signal to the Fusion system and house speakers. A big change from recent practice on my last two AS trailers.

I'll be very curious to hear how your Bluetooth solution works out. Please post about your experience and good luck.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson