Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 2018 - Current Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2018, 08:09 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrg View Post
Hi Kodiak2006,

Switch #1 controls the rear street side & curb side stabilizers, and switch #2 controls the front street side and curb side stabilizers. Having a switch for each stabilizer would have made more sense to me.
Wouldn't that also have required two more motors?
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:44 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
Wouldn't that also have required two more motors?
Yes, as I have written many times in this thread - we have four stabilizers each with its own motor.
ddrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 05:29 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Yes, as I have written many times in this thread - we have four stabilizers each with its own motor.
Well then 4 switches is a no brainer,,,doesn't make sense that they didn't do that???
Old 01-24-2018, 08:28 AM   #44
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
2018 Globetrotter Electric Stabilizer Deployment Instructions?

Clearly, with this model they took a different approach. Won’t somebody, anybody, who owns or is considering one of these units ask their dealer or Airstream how they work on uneven ground instead of speculating without any facts?

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:19 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Hi Kodiak2006,

Switch #1 controls the rear street side & curb side stabilizers, and switch #2 controls the front street side and curb side stabilizers. Having a switch for each stabilizer would have made more sense to me. Expecting someone to manually crank down the non-touching stabilizer also doesn't make sense to me.

We don't have a locked access panel, so I have ordered a lock to replace the twist latch.

I'm sure once we're past the teething pains, it will be a fantastic trailer.

Thanks... Duncan

Duncan,
I am trying to not be overly cautious, but also do not want to make an error of consequence. It is interesting the door is not keyed, I wonder if that was a running change?

I looked at another model at the dealer last weekend (lighter color), but did not pay attention to the jack switch compartment.
Gary
Kodiak2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:25 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak2006 View Post
Duncan,
I am trying to not be overly cautious, but also do not want to make an error of consequence. It is interesting the door is not keyed, I wonder if that was a running change?

I looked at another model at the dealer last weekend (lighter color), but did not pay attention to the jack switch compartment.
Gary
Hi Gary,

I don't know if GTs shipping now have a locking stabilizer switch compartment - maybe more recent owners will reply. I'll be installing the lock I purchased this weekend. Others have posted that they have repurposed the outside shower compartment lock.

I also replaced the battery compartment thumb turn latch with a 5/8" lock that I purchased from Home Depot. The lock will definitely not deter a determined theif, but hopefully our AGM batteries (solar) will be safer.

Please note that we have a unicorn - possibly the first GT that left the factory. It is a unicorn because we are told that it is the only instance of the GT which has Firefly lighting / environmental control (controls at 4 locations) like that found on the Classic. We also have Hafele 822.99.340 Pop-Up Power Stations built into the bedroom night stands versus the current production model which has USB plugs built into the bedroom walls.

Thanks... Duncan
Old 01-26-2018, 08:01 AM   #47
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
So there no resolution on how the power stabilizer is to work with uneven terrain?
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:07 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
We finally took possession of our 2018 Globetrotter this past Saturday. The trailer has power stabilizers front and back. Each end pair of stabilizers is controlled by one switch - the back pair of stabilizers is wired to one switch and the front pair to the other switch.

When deploying the stabilizers on uneven ground, what is the process? (There are no instructions in the 'manual'.) Are you expected to place a block under the side which is lower than the other, stop once the first stabilizer touches down and then hand crank the other, or let the short side stabilizer motor grind on until the longer side stabilizer touches down?

I would have thought there would be four switches, but this seems to be how it is.

Thanks... Duncan
I phoned the Airstream Factory technical support line (1-877-592-6111) this morning to ask how the GT stabilizers are expected to be used on uneven surfaces. The answer was to chalk the stabilizer pad that hasn't touched down. Not the answer I was hoping for, so I'll see about how difficult it will be to have 4 switches versus two.

Thanks... Duncan
Old 01-26-2018, 11:32 AM   #49

Thanks for calling!

That's actually kinda funny. Unless you are camped on a level slab, they haven't really saved time or added convenience. On an uneven campsite, they've actually made it harder because the owner now has to fuss and worry about whether they've put the right number of blocks on the low side so the two stabilizers come out even.

I'll stick with my manual stabilizers and a power drill, thanks.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:55 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

Oak Harbor , wa
Couldn't help myself, had to try this.

2018 GT, electric stabilizer jacks. Level floor in the garage, raised rear stabilizers all the way. Then put a 4x6 under one jack and ran them back down using the single switch for the rear pair. As expected the stabilizer touched the 4x6 first, both slowed momentarily, then the jack on the 4x4 stopped while the other continued until it also touched then stopped.
There is a separate motor for each jack!
Upon retracting the one on 4x6 fully retracted first, the other one simply continued until it also fully retracted and stopped.
Each motor is wired separately but I do not know the control mechanism. I did not see any brand info. There is no mechanical connection between the pair!
Does anyone know the brand and model # info?
Stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:26 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormalong View Post
As expected the stabilizer touched the 4x6 first, both slowed momentarily, then the jack on the 4x4 stopped while the other continued until it also touched then stopped.
Now, that's the way they should work. Thanks for confirming this.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:06 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormalong View Post
2018 GT, electric stabilizer jacks. Level floor in the garage, raised rear stabilizers all the way. Then put a 4x6 under one jack and ran them back down using the single switch for the rear pair. As expected the stabilizer touched the 4x6 first, both slowed momentarily, then the jack on the 4x4 stopped while the other continued until it also touched then stopped.
There is a separate motor for each jack!
Upon retracting the one on 4x6 fully retracted first, the other one simply continued until it also fully retracted and stopped.
Each motor is wired separately but I do not know the control mechanism. I did not see any brand info. There is no mechanical connection between the pair!
Does anyone know the brand and model # info?
I previously posted (see page 2 of this thread):
Here's an update - I guess I'll be calling someone on Monday.

I looked under the back of our Globetrotter tonight and discovered two (2) "BAL RV Products Group" Powered 'C' Type Stabilizing Jacks. The model number may be 21100005. (BAL RV Products Group is a brand of Norco Industries.) As I previously wrote, both stabilizers are wired to one switch.

According to the BAL installation manual (http://norcoind.com/bal/downloads/ma...k%20Manual.pdf), by implication, it is expected that each stabilizer motor be controlled independently by its own switch:
Existing system with only one switch: If you plan on installing both switches at the original, single switch location, the existing hole will need to be enlarged. Refer to suggestions in Step 1A for guidance on cutting the hole. In either switch mounting situation, a second wire (not included) will be added from the second switch to the included 12v breaker to the Jack assembly (Fig 8).
BTW, I don't know if this is a situation unique to our Globetrotter, as I've written before that it is a one of a kind build.

Thanks... Duncan
Old 02-19-2018, 10:08 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
Now, that's the way they should work. Thanks for confirming this.
Actually not, according to both the Airstream Service line (use block on the longer travel side) and the jack manufacturer (use two switches). See my previous post.

Ciao... Duncan
Old 02-19-2018, 10:32 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
More and more interesting. I’m looking at power stabilizers to ease the pain of having to kneel to deploy my manual jacks...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:37 PM   #55
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Actually not, according to both the Airstream Service line (use block on the longer travel side) and the jack manufacturer (use two switches). See my previous post.

Ciao... Duncan
Did you test yours and see if they function as described here (and as described in the manual)? Did you hear a grinding noise as you described early on in this thread?

Be careful about using two switches. The danger is that one can presumably rack the frame. It would be a downgrade over any sort of automatic levelling, whether mechanical (as described in post 15) or electrical.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:28 AM   #56
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
mcdonough , Georgia
Here’s what’s in my 2017 Classic manual.

Power Stabilizing Jacks

The Classic trailer is equipped with two sets of power stabilizing jacks� These jacks are controlled by a switch located in the locked utility compartment on the side of the trailer�

NOTE

Power stabilizing jacks automatically adjust to the terrain and should only be lowered until they make contact with the ground.

CAUTION

Stabilizing jacks are designed to stabilize the trailer only. Misuse of the power jacks to level or lift the trailer will result in damage to the jacks and potentially the trailer.
ksteve06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:51 AM   #57

This is entertaining. Still waiting for someone with one of these beautiful trailers to break down and call the mothership for a detailed explanation of how these power stabs are supposed to work on un-level ground.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:53 AM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
mcdonough , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
This is entertaining. Still waiting for someone with one of these beautiful trailers to break down and call the mothership for a detailed explanation of how these power stabs are supposed to work on un-level ground.

They auto adjust to the terrain whether level or not, doesn’t seem like rocket science, why is thee a need to call anyone?
ksteve06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:58 PM   #59

Sure, but it seems like most folks on the thread are still asking questions without bothering to get an authoritative answer from the manufacturer. Everything here so far is guesses and empirical info (e.g. try it and see what happens).

Old 02-20-2018, 10:31 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Sure, but it seems like most folks on the thread are still asking questions without bothering to get an authoritative answer from the manufacturer. Everything here so far is guesses and empirical info (e.g. try it and see what happens).
Maybe they missed my post on the fourth page of this thread:
I phoned the Airstream Factory technical support line (1-877-592-6111) this morning to ask how the GT stabilizers are expected to be used on uneven surfaces. The answer was to chalk the stabilizer pad that hasn't touched down. Not the answer I was hoping for, so I'll see about how difficult it will be to have 4 switches versus two.
Ciao... Duncan