Old 01-16-2018, 05:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Bolivar , OH
2 weeks in 2018 Globetrotter

Hi All:
My wife and I have spent two weeks in our new 2018 globetrotter on Chokoloskee Island and wanted to share our experiences.
I would post in the 2018 Globetrotter section, but there isnít one (yet).
Let me say we love this trailer. Itís our first airstream but we have previously owned everything from a home built adventure trailer to a diesel pusher Bluebird Wanderlodge. We bought this to replace a fifth wheel flooded by Irma.
We love how quiet it is inside. Very tight during a recent thunderstorm. We love all the natural light and airflow when windows are open. We like the factory mattress and use regular queen sheets without issue. Walmart sells striped runner carpets with same color blue at edges as our couch upholstery. We have enjoyed the tv and sound system and have found them to be both easy and versatile. Hint: Go to setup menu and lock your phone in once paired and you shouldnít have connectivity issues. Ultramarine app for phone allows remote control of stereo from outside which is a nice feature. We can confirm ease of cleaning spills on upholstery and floor.
We really love the minimalist design which fits with our continued downsizing and simplification of life. This trailer speaks to tiny house sensibilities and the clean design compliments the exterior nicely.
I will list some issues, most of which are minor and I bring up as these issues as they may not be unique and others may want to check prior to delivery: Other issues likely relate to being a new model with some growing pains or relate to bean counter design choices. Please donít read them as a list of complaints but as my experience and opinion.
Issues at delivery:
Leaking AC unit in closet - fixed by dealer
Broken Shower Light -still on order
Speaker not working - fixed myself - both wires never connected
Issues Iíve since noticed
Broken chrome bezel around radio head unit (the guts are hidden under blue ray player in overhead bin. Replaceable and under 20 bucks on polk website
Poorly constructed and assembled kitchen cabinets with drawers that are out of alignment and crash into side of L penninsula when opened. I have adjusted some but slides used are lower quality units without built in adjusters so I will eventually remove and reinstall slides and probably whole side of cabinet by entry door due to poor alignment with countertop. In my mind, kitchen and baths sell houses and RVs and this kitchen is well designed but the execution is maybe 8th grade shop classÖ.
Odd design choices made by AS:
Wasted space everywhere. Obviously, they have never spent time in a Roadtrek.Thereís a big open space under closet with a hinged door which is a prime candidate for a build out. Three trash cans in kitchen is also an odd choice. Iím hoping to make a funnel for right counter trash hole to big trash can to make more useful. Iím also going to buy some more of those rubbermaid trash cans (made in USA, while they are still available cuz someday they will be replaced with chinese junk which wonít fit perfectly)
Sharp edge everywhere: I have cut myself entering cabinets on sharp laminate corners, most commonly getting clothes out of sterlite bins under beds.
Storage above refer is not self supporting so you have to hold door open with hand or head to get stuff in or out of cabinet.
Random use of corner beading around cabinets without much success where used. Almost like a partial fix of production issues with inconsistent application or simply an often forgotten item during installation.
Bathroom light switch hidden by hand towel holder.
Hot water tank switch similar to light switches used elsewhere and not hidden by hand towel. Hit the electric power on an empty hot water tank and find yourself out an electric elementÖ.
Dimmable overhead lights but not dimmable indirect mood lights.
TV in bedroom too low. I will build VESA shifter to raise it 4-6 inches with existing mounts
Too few towel bars (they are Kohler Alteo units and can be purchased at Amazon). There is also a matching robe hook available.
Some great Choices made by AS:
Radio head unit - polk waterproof marine unit with app control works well and sounds good.
Great lighting. Best I have since since our old Bluebird. Great for everything from reading to tv watching.
Zip Dee awnings (need I say more)
Laminate cabinets which are durable and clean easy.
Atwood hot water and real forced air furnace We like it cold at night but first thing in morning itís great to hit heater and its warm in a matter of minutes.
Lots of made in USA labels on subassemblies. Thank you.

Samstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Thanks for taking the time write such an extensive report. I also appreciate your objectivity. And congrats on your new Globetrotter!

A few questions if you don't mind:
1. Do keep the dining table up at all times or do you make it into a larger lounge? 2. Is the lounge area comfortable for extended periods of time (like watching a movie or waiting out a rain storm)?
3. BTW which color scheme did you get?

My DW loves the looks of the Globetrotter and wants to see one in person. But she is concerned about the comfort of the lounge. I am as well!

Thanks!

Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I understand that to make the dinette into a bed you have to use a couple large extra cushions that must be carried either in the TV or put in one of the closets. Is this correct?
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:20 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Oak Harbor , wa
2 days into new globetrotter

We are 2 days into our new globetrotter. We have very few nits! Yes, accent lighting should be dimmable. Yes, way to many sharp edges that will need some talc with 400 grit to soften the ridge. Our cabinets seem to fit nicely. Love the power awning and stabilizers.
We can't believe the extra room in the dinette area with the new bolster arrangement.
Funny thing is we really wanted a Pendleton until we found Globetrotter.
I wish they would install a MAGNUM energy 2000 inverted and make all the plug INS operate from shore power or inverted power.
We have dark walnut Dublin slate color scheme.
Overall fit and finish way better than our previous 2015 FC.
Happy campers!
Stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:23 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
I understand that to make the dinette into a bed you have to use a couple large extra cushions that must be carried either in the TV or put in one of the closets. Is this correct?

That is correct. Itís definitely a downside of the lounge back design.
YippieKiYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:26 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
Samstu - does yours have an odd hole between the lounge back and the cabinet wall directly under the main TV? Does the piping trim end abruptly there?
YippieKiYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:17 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Bolivar , OH
We keep the table up at all times and find everything very comfortable. I have been sitting at couch for last 3 hours watching tv and on computer. We chose light colored wood with blue cushions as we like sunlight and all the windows and skylights but couldn’t trust ourselves with white cushions. White curtains are bad enought!!
Yes the dinette requires 2 additional cushions to make into bed. The GT comes with 4 extra cushions 2 for couch, 2 for dinette plus we got 6 decorative pillows and 4 bed pillows. 3 cushions will store under bed center section, 1 is in closet and extra pillows are under couch and above bed. Will leave more of these home next time.
I don’t see any odd holes below tv but there is a ĺ inch gap between fridge cabinet and sidewall of trailer.
Samstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:20 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Annapolis , Maryland
Refer cabinet strut

Just a small tip. I installed a simple strut on the cabinet door above the refer.

I also installed a larger spring strut on the bathroom mirror cabinet.

Both work well.
rhpeahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:25 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Palm Beach Gardens , Florida
Love the design of the GT. Thanks for sharing your experiences. -John
John Geisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:41 AM   #10
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi Samstu,

We're sorry to learn about the issues you described in your 2018 27' Globetrotter. Please call our customer service and technical support team at*1 (877) 596-6111, option 2 so we can learn more and help.

Thanks.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:48 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
You're under Airstream's 2-year warranty with your new unit so be sure to take advantage of that with some of these items on your list.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:01 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Richland , Washington
Thanks for sharing your experience. For the price Airstream wants for their trailers, I wouldn't be too pleased that there are so many poorly designed items and poor quality installations. I'd be having a discussion with them about it. I'd expect much more for my money than what you've described.
PamsCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:12 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Albert Lea , Minnesota
Thanks for your post Samstu. It cured my post "purchase dissonance" this morning. We are leaving tomorrow morning to pick up our new GT at a dealership. We are newly retired full timers.

Safe travels
sheinzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:49 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Dublin , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samstu View Post
Hi All:

My wife and I have spent two weeks in our new 2018 globetrotter on Chokoloskee Island and wanted to share our experiences.

I would post in the 2018 Globetrotter section, but there isnít one (yet).

Let me say we love this trailer. Itís our first airstream but we have previously owned everything from a home built adventure trailer to a diesel pusher Bluebird Wanderlodge. We bought this to replace a fifth wheel flooded by Irma.

We love how quiet it is inside. Very tight during a recent thunderstorm. We love all the natural light and airflow when windows are open. We like the factory mattress and use regular queen sheets without issue. Walmart sells striped runner carpets with same color blue at edges as our couch upholstery. We have enjoyed the tv and sound system and have found them to be both easy and versatile. Hint: Go to setup menu and lock your phone in once paired and you shouldnít have connectivity issues. Ultramarine app for phone allows remote control of stereo from outside which is a nice feature. We can confirm ease of cleaning spills on upholstery and floor.

We really love the minimalist design which fits with our continued downsizing and simplification of life. This trailer speaks to tiny house sensibilities and the clean design compliments the exterior nicely.

I will list some issues, most of which are minor and I bring up as these issues as they may not be unique and others may want to check prior to delivery: Other issues likely relate to being a new model with some growing pains or relate to bean counter design choices. Please donít read them as a list of complaints but as my experience and opinion.

Issues at delivery:

Leaking AC unit in closet - fixed by dealer

Broken Shower Light -still on order

Speaker not working - fixed myself - both wires never connected

Issues Iíve since noticed

Broken chrome bezel around radio head unit (the guts are hidden under blue ray player in overhead bin. Replaceable and under 20 bucks on polk website

Poorly constructed and assembled kitchen cabinets with drawers that are out of alignment and crash into side of L penninsula when opened. I have adjusted some but slides used are lower quality units without built in adjusters so I will eventually remove and reinstall slides and probably whole side of cabinet by entry door due to poor alignment with countertop. In my mind, kitchen and baths sell houses and RVs and this kitchen is well designed but the execution is maybe 8th grade shop classÖ.

Odd design choices made by AS:

Wasted space everywhere. Obviously, they have never spent time in a Roadtrek.Thereís a big open space under closet with a hinged door which is a prime candidate for a build out. Three trash cans in kitchen is also an odd choice. Iím hoping to make a funnel for right counter trash hole to big trash can to make more useful. Iím also going to buy some more of those rubbermaid trash cans (made in USA, while they are still available cuz someday they will be replaced with chinese junk which wonít fit perfectly)

Sharp edge everywhere: I have cut myself entering cabinets on sharp laminate corners, most commonly getting clothes out of sterlite bins under beds.

Storage above refer is not self supporting so you have to hold door open with hand or head to get stuff in or out of cabinet.

Random use of corner beading around cabinets without much success where used. Almost like a partial fix of production issues with inconsistent application or simply an often forgotten item during installation.

Bathroom light switch hidden by hand towel holder.

Hot water tank switch similar to light switches used elsewhere and not hidden by hand towel. Hit the electric power on an empty hot water tank and find yourself out an electric elementÖ.

Dimmable overhead lights but not dimmable indirect mood lights.

TV in bedroom too low. I will build VESA shifter to raise it 4-6 inches with existing mounts

Too few towel bars (they are Kohler Alteo units and can be purchased at Amazon). There is also a matching robe hook available.

Some great Choices made by AS:

Radio head unit - polk waterproof marine unit with app control works well and sounds good.

Great lighting. Best I have since since our old Bluebird. Great for everything from reading to tv watching.

Zip Dee awnings (need I say more)

Laminate cabinets which are durable and clean easy.

Atwood hot water and real forced air furnace We like it cold at night but first thing in morning itís great to hit heater and its warm in a matter of minutes.

Lots of made in USA labels on subassemblies. Thank you.

Thanks for your detailed summary. I also have one on order. I will use your experience as a guide.

Kodiak2006 is offline   Reply With Quote