Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2017, 04:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Midlothian , Texas
Ya'll are scaring me!

Hi Airstream folks - we are supposed to pick up our new 30' FC in 2 weeks and ya'll are scaring the jelly outta me!!! LOL. - We have had such trouble with one of the big box trailers from another manufacturer and we were thinking (?) that the Airstreams would be of such amazing quality that we would not have to worry on every trip and constantly be needing repairs and replacement parts and and and......

It really gives us pause, in fact I said to hubby today that I sure hope we are not spending more than 2x the price of the box "lemon" and still have a long list of repairs and issues to work out.

Take me down off the ceiling fan if you can, ok? Hubby is very handy with most stuff but we just don't want to have to go there again.
TexasMarci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Unclench the hands from the ceiling fan blades--it's not that bad!

Yes, as with any new hand-built device, there may be a few teething pains. The dealer is supposed to do a thorough checkout of the entire Airstream inside and out and verify all the systems work properly.

You should consider searching the forums for a new trailer checklist that you can use to inspect everything. Then make it very clear to the dealer that you expect and require that they promptly fix anything that is out of order or not put together right.

The dealer should demonstrate how to operate everything in or on the Airstream. Take notes, or video record every bit of it. He should demonstrate that the electricals work correctly, the water works both on shore and tank water, and in general answer any question you may have or even not thought of.

It is a complex system, and it takes time to understand how to use it, maintain it, and enjoy it.

Also search the forums about 'extended warranties", wax or sealants, etc. that the dealer may try to sell you. They are usually not worth the money--they just line the dealer's pockets, in my opinion. Be ready to say no if your research leads you to that conclusion...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:23 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
mcdonough , Georgia
We bought a 2017 Classic in July and have taken 5-6 trips and the worst problem we had was locking ourselves out on our first trip [emoji3]. Second set of keys stays in truck with keypad on door now. We had one latch that was not attached correctly on drawer, we fixed that. We were also missing two screws for the blinds valance, and we also fixed that. We do have the solar package and noticed that we did not have AGM batteries installed that should have been. Airstream sent them to our dealer and I swapped them out and replaced them. Alde system has also worked flawlessly.
ksteve06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Airstream backs their products with a two-year warranty, and they actually pay attention to this forum.

I contend that they do not want unsatisfied customers to protect their reputation.

I will point out that our 2007 had and continues to have, very few issues.

A reasonably handy person can easily maintain one themselves, with basic tools.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:38 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Delta , Pennsylvania
Take a breath

You see alot of issues and complaints because most people don't post that there trailer is awsome and everything is great. We bought in July and have been camping every other weekend with minium problems.
Tbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Do not be scared but I caution due deligance. Be sure to do a complete inside and out visual and operational inspection of all structural components and systems and demand correction to your satisfaction before signing any paperwork or handing over a check.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:58 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Naperville , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMarci View Post
Hi Airstream folks - we are supposed to pick up our new 30' FC in 2 weeks and ya'll are scaring the jelly outta me!!! LOL. - We have had such trouble with one of the big box trailers from another manufacturer and we were thinking (?) that the Airstreams would be of such amazing quality that we would not have to worry on every trip and constantly be needing repairs and replacement parts and and and......

It really gives us pause, in fact I said to hubby today that I sure hope we are not spending more than 2x the price of the box "lemon" and still have a long list of repairs and issues to work out.

Take me down off the ceiling fan if you can, ok? Hubby is very handy with most stuff but we just don't want to have to go there again.

We purchased a 2016 Classic from Airstream of Chicago, and our only problem was a leaky connection feeding the hot water heater, which I easily fixed. ( I think dealer prep has a lot to do with Airstream Trailer final fit, finish and performance.)
1995 & 2004 Gary Fisher Hoo-Koo-e-Koo emergency vehicles
pt.reyesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:44 PM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

You can find people here on the forum who are still "talking about" a problem they had at delivery on their trailer in 1997. To listen to the story, it happened yesterday. They have devoted their life ever since to telling and re-telling that story. People who had no problems don't have a cool story. You don't hear from them.

Indeed, be aware of what you are buying. More important, be ready to learn a whole lot about a whole lot. There are a number of systems on any trailer. Keeping them all running *does* take effort. The two or three hour "orientation" you will get on the trailer is a numbing amount to absorb in a hurry. Stay here on the forum and ask questions about the trailer as they come up. Nobody can absorb all that info at once.

Accept that some dealers are better than other dealers. That's not completely unexpected. Your experience may be better or worse depending on your dealer. Depending on the dealer to do everything for you ... not going to work with any of them. You will be taking an active part in understanding and running the trailer. You don't learn how to drive from the car salesman .... You don't learn how to build a house from the lumber guy at Home Depot

We have had our trailer for a full season. We bought it new. We have a short list of things to get fixed eventually. None of them have stopped us from camping. That's also been the experience of everybody we know with Airstreams.

I have been listening to stories about problems with Airstreams, other RV's, and every single auto model on earth since the 1950's. They just never seemed to be first hand stories ... hmmm.... Now through the glory of the internet, a one in 250 million story source is here on the forum with you. Welcome to the new world

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:06 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
Step away from the craziness... on my 2017 16' I have only had 1 minor issue taken care of immediately by the amazing people at Airstream of New Mexico.

Inspect, make sure you trust your dealer, and inspect again.

My Airstream was worth every penny I paid for it and will last a LOT longer than a box trailer. It will last longer than me :-)
Old 11-30-2017, 07:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Take every post here with a grain of salt.

Realize a lot of the problems are not Airstream issues. A bad air conditioner is not an Airstream problem.

RVs are not automobiles and are not built to the same standard. This is true with any brand or price.

All dealers are not equipped to deal with all issues. Take your time, make a list of issues and travel to Jackson Center. They will correct any isssues and the adventure of the trip is worth it.

Ain’t nobody no where bragging about or rebuilding any other brand.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:27 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
"we were thinking (?) that the Airstreams would be of such amazing quality"

These are mass-produced RVs, with all that entails. The designs are generally excellent, and the materials are mostly of high quality. But workmanship varies from decent (as witness a few replies here) to sloppy (my 2017 International was in the latter category).

My advice: inspect and reinspect. Go over the rig with a fine-toothed comb at least a week before the scheduled delivery, type up your "punch list," and give it to the dealer. Then reinspect when the dealer tells you all items have been fixed.

Don't sign any papers or hand over a final payment until you have established firsthand that all flaws have been remedied. As long as they don't have your money (not counting the deposit), they have a good reason to cooperate. Afterward, they won't be motivated to make things right. So get the problems fixed before you pay.

Nevertheless, be prepared to find some additional issues as you start using the rig. Document everything in writing. You may return to the dealership for warranty service, or you may fix minor things yourself, but make sure they know about any and all problems, in case you need to make a warranty claim later.

This all sounds scary, I know. Most of us love our Airstreams. I love mine. In the long run, these are great trailers--there's nothing else like them. Just don't expect a perfect rig upon delivery.
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Airstream backs their products with a two-year warranty, and they actually pay attention to this forum.

I contend that they do not want unsatisfied customers to protect their reputation.

I will point out that our 2007 had and continues to have, very few issues.

A reasonably handy person can easily maintain one themselves, with basic tools.
Man, seems like all I read is the opposite. I'm a fan but as they say, good news goes nowhere.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:20 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Yup. It seems all you hear about is endless complaining about quality, using too small a tow vehicle, or why a particular hitch design is “just fine”.

That’s why I try to talk about other things, because basically, my AS works fine, my truck is big enough for my uses, and I’m completely convinced my ProPride hitch is the right choice for me.

Beyond that I’m into explaining stuff to others and my own improvement projects. Not that I won’t make a statement in one of our typical discussions...[emoji3]
Old 11-30-2017, 09:29 PM   #14
Some Guy

1968 26' Overlander
2021 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
I believe you'll find bad in any good thing. We had a 2015 25 Eddie Bauer and truly experience no issues. We now have a 2018 Tommy Bahama and short of a few cosmetic issues (due to it being on their showroom floor) which Airstream replaced quickly (I did the install - just drawer pulls and some button covers), we've (knocks on wood) had no issues.

If your husband or you is handy, you'll most likely be a-ok.
2019 RAM PowerWagon TV-Petrol Hemi
WBCCI # 22342
djarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Yup, never my Airstream kept us at a toasty 72 degrees when it was below freezing last night.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:41 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
We've had our 2017 28' Serenity for 1 year and have had 1 minor issue with the hot water heater. Dometic/Atwood sent a mobile repair team to my house to fix it. We read everything we could find on AS before our delivery. The same thoughts went through our minds about quality and problems days before making the three hour drive to accept our trailer. All I can say is zero issues after a nearly 4 hour delivery. I went over every system with the tech and ran each on shore power and batteries. Pulling out of the dealer and heading down the road for the first time was awesome. This is a great website, but AS are not perfect and you'll find some issues but the manufacturer stands by its product and goes to great lengths to correct any problems. Welcome and enjoy your adventure!
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:11 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
Ain’t nobody no where bragging about or rebuilding any other brand.

Regards,

JD
There are a few exceptions... but damn few!

Of course, those are the older units, but we are extremely satisfied with our '08 Airstream which has a lot of use put to her and she's holding up just fine! The only problems have been appliances and those are the same things that happen regardless of brand, and have been simple to fix. (water heater propane regulator, broken plastic water fittings such as the drain valve on the fresh tank (replaced with brass valve), etc. Great value in a travel trailer, IMO.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:16 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
Stop the ticker going through your head. You are experienced RVers, have already had a "lemon", and are aware of the towing and maintenance needs you incur as a trailer owner.

Find a dealer that you can work with, trust yourself, and I bet you'll be pleasantly amazed with your new baby ! Now get camping...
DMP54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:32 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
I'm the one who started the "I'm so bummed" thread. Don't let us scare you. This is all part of the shake down of a new RV. Like I said in the other thread, I bought a new Winnebago in 2007 and had issues. Not the same issues, but they are never the same. Took a little time to get them worked out, then had 10 wonderful years in that RV. I am sure that the Airstream will be no different. I just had to air my (temporary) frustration. We will work through it, and enjoy our Airstream for years. I do not regret my purchase of this Airstream even though I am griping.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:21 AM   #20
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Ya'll are scaring me!

I’ll join the good news parade from above! We bought a 14 new in late 13 and truly had no Airstream design nor construction issues to speak of. Most every failure we experienced under warranty was either appliances or systems found on every RV including many $2m bus conversions. We love our Pete, and spent the last two weekends aboard with our grands......

Relax and enjoy the ride. Just do what the posters above me said as to walk through, hold your dealer accountable, and get out there and go Airstreaming!
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote