Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2019, 01:28 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2023 30' Classic
Denver , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
We turn ours off when not in use too. However, when we turn it back on a few hours later, it should not immediately activate the pump. It should hold water pressure.
Mine does the same after its been off for a few hours, assumed this was normal. The pump only stays on for a couple of seconds though.

Is anyone able to turn there pump off for a few hours and not have it come on momentarily?

Dave S
link2dks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:37 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Ours stays quiet for hours and hours when running on fresh water tank. I’ve had no issues with leaks or backflow into the fresh tank (yet. I’m not going to bet that will be the situation forever. Stuff breaks. )
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:20 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by link2dks View Post
. . .
Is anyone able to turn there pump off for a few hours and not have it come on momentarily?
. . .
Yes, that is the textbook standard operation. If we forget to turn the pump off, the system makes it through the night without the pump coming on, or at least until the first flush.

If we turn the pump off, and leave the system with pressure in the lines, even a week later there is plenty of pressure [from the air head in the water heater] to get some flow out of a faucet.

In other words, the plumbing system is designed to be completely watertight.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:35 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by link2dks View Post
Mine does the same after its been off for a few hours, assumed this was normal. The pump only stays on for a couple of seconds though.

Dave S
I had a Winnebago Class C for 10 years. I could pressurize the system, turn the pump off, and leave it for a month. When I turned the pump back on, it would not activate the pump. The Winnebago held the water pressure. I did that on a regular basis if we went a month between camping trips.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:43 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2023 30' Classic
Denver , North Carolina
OK, thanks. Another issue to add to the list!
link2dks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:09 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Clayton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
I had a Winnebago Class C for 10 years. I could pressurize the system, turn the pump off, and leave it for a month. When I turned the pump back on, it would not activate the pump. The Winnebago held the water pressure. I did that on a regular basis if we went a month between camping trips.
I wonder if your Winnebago had a water pressure accumulator, which the OP's Airstream does not.

See https://goneoutdoors.com/rv-pump-acc...n-5984303.html
and
http://www.rialtainfo.com/winnebago/...remiumPump.pdf
TV: 2017 Ford F250 Lariat w/ Blue Ox Sway Pro
AIRForums #126944 WBCCI #1297
Baby Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:33 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
If the OP has a standard water heater with a proper air bubble in it, that acts like a pressure accumulator
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:26 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Zeppelin View Post
I wonder if your Winnebago had a water pressure accumulator, which the OP's Airstream does not.

See https://goneoutdoors.com/rv-pump-acc...n-5984303.html
and
http://www.rialtainfo.com/winnebago/...remiumPump.pdf
Uhhhh, I AM the OP. And, no, the Winnebago did not have an accumulator tank.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:32 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
If the OP has a standard water heater with a proper air bubble in it, that acts like a pressure accumulator
Echoing earlier post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
. . .
If we turn the pump off, and leave the system with pressure in the lines, even a week later there is plenty of pressure [from the air head in the water heater] to get some flow out of a faucet.
. . .
Does anyone here read all the posts carefully any more? [not directed at you Rich!]

Old 05-25-2020, 02:05 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
OP here. I am resurrecting this old thread because, after 18 months, I have found where the water leak is that causes the water pump to pulse on momentarily every few hours. Airstream sent me a new water pump in case the water pump was bad, but that did not fix it. Just today, I finally found that there is a SLOW drip from the pop-off valve on the water heater. I have never had a pop-off valve leak before, especially a new one. I tried opening it and re-closing it, but it still drips SLOWLY. Since the drip is outside of the trailer where it won't harm anything inside, it is not worth my time to replace the pop-off valve. I will just continue to live with the occasional brrp of the water pump pulsing, but I will stop worrying about where in the trailer water is rotting something out.
Old 05-25-2020, 03:00 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the update.

You can get a replacement PRV in the hardware store and swap it in about 5 minutes. Have some Teflon tape ready. Suggest buying an extra to stow onboard -- a good investment IMO.

Water with high mineral content can mess with these PRV's, and the last thing you want is for your failing PRV to fail in the "frozen shut" mode.

Peter

PS -- 2018 Post #3:
Quote:
You probably have a very small leak someplace.
. . .
Have you checked the pressure relief valve [PRV] at the top of the water heater? Guessing you have a small leak there, which may be air right now, but will show water eventually. Turn off the water pressure and flip this valve up and down a bunch to times, to get any grit out.
. . .
Old 05-25-2020, 08:27 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Thanks for the update.

You can get a replacement PRV in the hardware store and swap it in about 5 minutes. Have some Teflon tape ready. Suggest buying an extra to stow onboard -- a good investment IMO.

Water with high mineral content can mess with these PRV's, and the last thing you want is for your failing PRV to fail in the "frozen shut" mode.

Peter

PS -- 2018 Post #3:
Quote:
You probably have a very small leak someplace.
. . .
Have you checked the pressure relief valve [PRV] at the top of the water heater? Guessing you have a small leak there, which may be air right now, but will show water eventually. Turn off the water pressure and flip this valve up and down a bunch to times, to get any grit out.
Yep, you nailed it. When I checked the valve earlier, it must have been leaking the air pocket.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:15 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks.

If the water system is pressurized, and you first turn off the hose bib and/or pump, by gingerly flipping the PRV handle up and down . . . the residual pressure in the system might purge any mineral grit out of the valve. Don't try this with full water pressure "on" . . .

Glad you found the problem . . . subtle things like this can be annoying.

Peter
Old 06-21-2020, 04:44 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
z , Texas
I had the same issue with my 2016 FC TRB, but it only did it when I left the city water cap off, put the cap on no pump burp, I wanted to add that in case someone else had the same problem
5150mike is offline   Reply With Quote