Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2017, 05:46 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
Water Pressure Reducer

So I followed all the advice and purchased a water pressure reducer with a gauge and brought it with me when I went to pick-up our new trailer. Dealer said not to use this because the trailer already has one and if you have two, there won't be enough water pressure in the trailer.

I'm fine with the electrical side of things but plumbing I just don't do.

Does this make sense?
Are other 2016 owners using reducers and if so, does it cause any problems?
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Water Pressure Reducer

The pressure reducer not only will protect your coach it will protect the hose if you attach it to the hydrant,
I don't believe an external pressure regulator will have much if any effect on the water pressure in the coach.
If the pressure down stream from the external regulator and it is 50 psi the internal regulator (if the same psi or less) will pass through. There may be a slight loss from the internal friction but I don't believe it will be much difference.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:42 PM   #3
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
The pressure reducer not only will protect your coach it will protect the hose if you attach it to the hydrant,
I don't believe an external pressure regulator will have much if any effect on the water pressure in the coach.
If the pressure down stream from the external regulator and it is 50 psi the internal regulator (if the same psi or less) will pass through. There may be a slight loss from the internal friction but I don't believe it will be much difference.
I believe this is correct. I can't imagine a way in which doubling up on pressure regulators would reduce pressure inside the trailer to an unusable level. They are pressure REGULATORS, not reducers, so they target a particular useful pressure...

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:59 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Houston , Texas
If the downstream water pressure is lower than the set point of the regulator (actually regulator "valve") , the regulator goes wide open until the set point is reached. You can have multiple flowmeters in a row, and as long as one of them doesn't have a lower coefficient of flow (i.e., one has a smaller internal bore) or lower set point, the downstream pressure will remain the same.
subsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:24 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Great. I liked the idea of having one where I could see the pressure on a gauge.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
I use a external pressure at the spigot to protect the hose. Works fine.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:24 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
The hose costs half the price of the reducer with gauge. Why would you be trying to protect it?
Old 01-22-2017, 07:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
It's not so much the cost as the inconvenience when you blow a hose and may have water spewing out in the middle of the night. Plus the fact you may have to drive some distance to get a replacement.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:39 AM   #9

Tillamook , Arizona
I have a 2017 20 ft Flying Cloud I just purchased in November. I bought a water pressure regulator as you did and was told that I didn't need it by the dealer as you were. I've used the regulator a couple times with no reduction in water pressure but the last two parks I've been in the water pressure was drastically reduced so I removed it and my water pressure is great! I plan on using it as long as my water pressure does not get reduced as I just experienced. I don't see any problem blowing a hose, if I do I carry a back up and they are only $15-20.
dcarver27 is offline   Reply With Quote