Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2019, 09:27 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
Water on floor near tall closet

Our FC23FB has had a puddle of water on the floor at the foot of the bed nearest the taller closet which is beside the refrigerator. This has happened twice in one week. Any idea what might be going on?
dlenloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Your fridge and AC have condensate drains. The fridge drain may have become disconnected or stopped up. Look inside the fridge to locate it and then look in the outside fridge door (the lower one if you have two) to see if you can find it an make sure it has not gotten disconnected somewhere. If if comes disconnected from the bottom of the fridge the water could end up on the floor of the compartment and run into the trailer.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Well, unless someone in the trailer is incontinent and unwilling to admit it, I would bet you have a water system leak.

That being said, let's eliminate some other possibilities: Is there an overhead Air conditioner in that general area? If so, can you confirm absolutely, that no condensation is dripping out of it and puddling on the floor? One means of testing this theory would be just to shut the AC off for a while and see if you get another puddle, or put a basin under the AC to catch any potential drips on their way down.

Next possibility is that you have a leak in the FW system or in your drainage plumbing (both of which may pass through/behind the closet). Can you see the floor in the closet you mentioned? Does the puddle of water exist inside this closet as well as outside it? Does the puddle form conincident with any particular activity, for example, when someone takes a shower? Are you using shore water, or pumping it from your FW tank?

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:51 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
The closet is not wet only a small area on the floor. The A/C has not been running because we are in a colder climate so it does seem that it could be the condensation drain. I checked the outside door to the fridge area and did not see a disconnect there. So I will check inside fridge. Thanks so much for the info. Oh, and fortunately no one in the trailer has become incontinent YET!! Lol
Old 06-13-2019, 09:53 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
Thank you for the info. It does seem like a logical explanation. I will start searching that out.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:44 AM   #6
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
That area is directly under the AC unit as you have likely figured out. It is also directly in front of the fresh water pump which is under that closet floor. Open up the door in the bottom of the closet (it is there, hidden by the thin carpet) and check for a leak there. A roof leak could be your problem if it's been raining. The hot water tank is opposite under the smaller closet. Pull on the panel below the drawers. It opens like a door even though it has no handle.

Laying out a paper towel in the area can help to identify the flow of the leak (a drip from above or flow from the side).

?pup? ?sink water spray? ?liquid/water stored in the small cabinet under the front of the closet? ?wild party last night?

You will find the answer. We had an intermittent leak under the sink. Only showed up when the hot water heater was activated. That was odd. Dealer found a leaking shore water pressure regulator. Also had a leak at the toilet - sometimes - higher water pressure opened a small crack in a plastic fitting. Easy to fix, but hard to find. Punt - buy an adjustable external water pressure regulator and set it at 40 psi. See if your situation changes. It likely won't, but you will have another tool in your box of tricks.

Oh, and the bright light ..... if you have unlimited funds, you can upgrade the AC too a 15000 btu; the fresh water to a quieter pump, an inboard adjustable pressure regulator, better filtration bank, and a pressure accumulator tank; and a roof reseal. Or you could learn a lot about your coach systems if the budget demands a DIY approach. A win either way.

Good luck on the trouble shooting. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:47 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlenloe View Post
Our FC23FB has had a puddle of water on the floor at the foot of the bed nearest the taller closet which is beside the refrigerator. This has happened twice in one week. Any idea what might be going on?
You might want to post this on the "23FB Forum" thread dedicated to your exact model:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...um-166374.html

That forum is a great resource with many knowledgeable owners of the same unit, and you may get a precise answer quickly IMO.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:33 AM   #8
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
As mentioned, top suspect is the water pump or nearby fitting, which is located under the false floor in that closet. The floor lifts out to expose the pump and plumbing. Look around there, if not obvious, wrap toilet paper around the various fittings and run the pump by turning on a faucet and check the paper for wetness.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:36 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
As mentioned, top suspect is the water pump or nearby fitting, which is located under the false floor in that closet. The floor lifts out to expose the pump and plumbing. Look around there, if not obvious, wrap toilet paper around the various fittings and run the pump by turning on a faucet and check the paper for wetness.
Since the water only shows up randomly, hopefully that means water pump is ok.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:23 PM   #10
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlenloe View Post
Since the water only shows up randomly, hopefully that means water pump is ok.

Probably a loose connection, also take a good look at the inline filter ahead of the pump.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:24 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
[emoji106]
Old 06-14-2019, 09:20 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , SD
We have/had this problem on our 16 month journey. It turned out to be condensation from the fridge sloshing out onto the floor when we moved.

My wife temporarily solved the problem by wiping up the water under the crisper drawers before me moved.

Our drain was not plugged and worked fine. Still water built up on the floor of the fridge.

Our light in the fridge was not working. I read in another thread about someone who swapped to an LED light in the fridge and starting having condensation problems. Come to find out the light comes on periodically when the door is shut. The heat from the bulb somehow prevents condensation.

I fixed the broken light. We'll find out in a couple weeks if it permanently solved the problem.

Larry
devilsbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:47 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
We had the same problem a month ago; although for a 25 FC; and it turned out to be a bad water pump.
Anders79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:39 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Does it especially puddle on floor after you take a shower? If yes, it might be a loose fitting on inside area of city water inlet. Mine is behind the back closet panel which is easily removed with screwdriver. Use flashlight to locate where city water inlet is and see if there is a slow drip. Have someone turn on shower to see if it drips. If you see dripping, tighten the fittings there. That solved my puddling last summer.
PatLee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:41 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Was it raining? My fridge compartment floor is the same level as the hall floor. When it rained, water was coming in through the fridge outside door, pooling in the fridge compartment and running across the hall floor. For reasons unknown, Airstream's design of the trim around that door opening had a gap at the bottom. Rain would come down the sides of the trailer, go between the trim and the door and run into the compartment through the gap. One of the PO's tried to fix it but his fix didn't work. I took some aluminum angle and made a dam to go across the gap. No more water on the floor. I forgot about this when I wrote my previous post.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:48 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Was it raining? My fridge compartment floor is the same level as the hall floor. When it rained, water was coming in through the fridge outside door, pooling in the fridge compartment and running across the hall floor. For reasons unknown, Airstream's design of the trim around that door opening had a gap at the bottom. Rain would come down the sides of the trailer, go between the trim and the door and run into the compartment through the gap. One of the PO's tried to fix it but his fix didn't work. I took some aluminum angle and made a dam to go across the gap. No more water on the floor. I forgot about this when I wrote my previous post.

Al
Hi Al,
I had the same problem about 2 years ago and I noticed water on the floor in front of the fridge in the trailer also but only while driving in the rain. After checking everything else with no results I determined the water was rain water that was somehow coming in from the outside door. I took some small mop heads and laid them inside of the outside opening on the floor under the fridge. That did the trick. The mop heads got soaked but no water entered the trailer. Now when I travel I put mop heads in there and it keeps the trailer dry inside. I dry the mops out when I'm done traveling for the day and then put them back in place for them to do their job.
I like your approach but I'm having trouble visualizing how you mounted the angle. Please post a picture so I can fix mine too.
Thanks!
Old 06-26-2019, 02:07 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Gold Canyon , Arizona
Check the drip/condensation pan located on the inside back of the fridge. Make sure it is secure and properly aligned with the drain hole. Condensation should run down the back of the fridge into the tray and out the drain hole. Also don't overload the fridge which inhibits air flow .
Old 06-26-2019, 04:17 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
It was raining off and on. Thanks for that info. I'll check mine out
Old 06-26-2019, 04:24 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

crete , Illinois
Water on the floor

I have the same trailer. About a year ago this happened to me, the problem was the refrigerator plastic drain line became brittle and broke. Check that line from the outside access door that opens so you can see the back of the refrigerator.
perm10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:44 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
Will do! All of the suggestions I have received gives me a wealth of information to pull from. You guys/girls are awesome.

« Pealing | Top | regrets? »