Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2016, 09:57 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
In additional benefit of adding a pressure tank is your pump will have much fewer starts, the water flow will seem more regulated and the pump when it runs will run longer to replenish the stored water supply.

A tank can be added anywhere in the plumbing system. Perhaps under the bathroom sink. I would recommend a 2 gallon tank which will provide 3/4 of a gallon of water between pump run cycles. It can be place in just about any orientation. Physical size 10" diameter, 12" tall.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:55 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
No leaks in our 2016. We had a strong pouring rain on our shakedown trip to confirm. I have had 3 airstreams and no leaks in any. Now hot water bubble is a whole different subject. I have learned to open a faucet a short second or two when running the hot water heater to remove the pressure. All trailers and motor homes have this problem not just airstream. The acumulater is the true fix. Not sure why manufacturers don't just install this in construction. Cost is only answer.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:00 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Palos Verdes , California
Water Leaks 2015

I have posted before, my 2015 30ft bunk leaked from day 1.
After getting Corporate involved, they fixed the issue, but I am concerned that they sealed it up so the water does not leak out to show itself. They put a nice amount of silicone at the base of the counters where water was spilling thru in the past.
We just returned from a trip and water was leaking under the sink in the bathroom and none of our GFI outlets worked. That leads me to believe that water intrusion occurred. We reset the breakers, checked the fuses, and none of those worked.
So........we took her to our dealer, and the Sales manager that we purchased 2 brand new trailers from, could not even stand up and acknowledge our presence or issues.
BFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:34 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
Now hot water bubble is a whole different subject. I have learned to open a faucet a short second or two when running the hot water heater to remove the pressure. All trailers and motor homes have this problem not just airstream. The acumulater is the true fix. Not sure why manufacturers don't just install this in construction. Cost is only answer.
Airstream used to spend the money for it. Mine had one from the factory.

By the way, back in '98 my factory order was list $52k, $42k to the dealer after negotiation.
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:14 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntley , Illinois
Our 2015 FC 25 fb. Leaked like a sieve on the way home from the dealer in driving rain. It took 2 trips to the factory. So far no leaks but hVe not had the driving rain. Colonial airstream has installed a true leak testing set up where they pressurize the unit and find the leaks since we live in the midwest it was a long journey back. We will take it back if the leaks reappear

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
cegardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:54 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
East Falmouth , Massachusetts
cegardner
Where were the leaks
miskeeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:30 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

Oak Harbor , wa
We purchased a 2015, 25 flying cloud brand new. I was very disappointed in quality control regarding both fresh water leaks and exterior skin leaks. Since we are a long way from a dealer (250 miles round trip) I fixed all these myself. Lots of loose fittings and clamps on fresh water system. Once I got up on the roof most of the leaks were obvious voids in caulk that quality control guys should have found at the plant.
All turned out well in the end but sure agree about cost versus initial quality.
Stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:20 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
If the bubble is in the water heater, wouldn't the accumulator work better in a hot water line?
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:54 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgibbs View Post
If the bubble is in the water heater, wouldn't the accumulator work better in a hot water line?
The hot and cold water system is connected to each other, pressure is felt equally throughout. The instructions for our accumulator say to put only in cold water line. Perhaps the hot water will damage the rubber bladder inside the accumulator.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:39 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
2010 20' Flying Cloud
Los Gatos , California
I went to install a pressure tank on the cold water line on our 2010 20FC. I read somewhere (I think in the 2010 owners manual or the literature that came with the pump) instructing the owner to not install an accumulator as the pump has the feature built in, and it can ruin the pump! FWIW.
TerryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:19 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryC View Post
I went to install a pressure tank on the cold water line on our 2010 20FC. I read somewhere (I think in the 2010 owners manual or the literature that came with the pump) instructing the owner to not install an accumulator as the pump has the feature built in, and it can ruin the pump! FWIW.
Not sure this makes much sense IMO. Any chance you can find a written reference for this notion?

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:15 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Anytown , USA
We got a brand new 2016 27FB Flying Cloud. Went camping for a couple of nights and it rained heavily for short period of time and there were no leaks. Then we took it for a day long drive back home and it rained moderately most of the ride and found out it leaked through front windows on to the bed. We never opened those windows at all and maybe that was the mistake?

Taking in to a dealer next week (200 miles round trip) so we'll see how it goes.

I never had a different brand trailer so don't have anything to compare. But I didn't expect an Airstream to leak practically out of the dealership given their reputation and $$$.
happycampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:23 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampr View Post
We got a brand new 2016 27FB Flying Cloud. Went camping for a couple of nights and it rained heavily for short period of time and there were no leaks. Then we took it for a day long drive back home and it rained moderately most of the ride and found out it leaked through front windows on to the bed. We never opened those windows at all and maybe that was the mistake?

Taking in to a dealer next week (200 miles round trip) so we'll see how it goes.

I never had a different brand trailer so don't have anything to compare. But I didn't expect an Airstream to leak practically out of the dealership given their reputation and $$$.

Can you say more about the leaks? Where specifically on the bed were they? How severe?

I have a 27FB. You have those external stone guard window shields which lock down with those rubber t-handles and then the actual Windows behind those. Were both the external and internal windows locked tight? If you never opened them yourself, I'm wondering if someone else opened them at the dealership but never latched them fully closed. You wouldn't know that behind the curtains if you didn't look at it yourself directly.

You also have a fantastic fan vent above the bed. Was that closed tight as well?

If so, thankfully you'd be under warranty and can have that fixed asap.

Sorry to hear about this but it's either a very simple solution (latch the windows/vent) or a covered warranty repair.

Good luck!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:52 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Anytown , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Can you say more about the leaks? Where specifically on the bed were they? How severe?

I have a 27FB. You have those external stone guard window shields which lock down with those rubber t-handles and then the actual Windows behind those. Were both the external and internal windows locked tight? If you never opened them yourself, I'm wondering if someone else opened them at the dealership but never latched them fully closed. You wouldn't know that behind the curtains if you didn't look at it yourself directly.

You also have a fantastic fan vent above the bed. Was that closed tight as well?

Sorry to hear about this but it's either a very simple solution (latch the windows/vent) or a covered warranty repair.

Good luck!!
Thanks! So the wet area was along the top of the bed where the pillows are. The bed cover in that area was pretty wet. I actually went and checked the windows and the stone guards now and they are closed well. The vent above the bed was closed. The vent is towards the bottom of the bed. And we could see the water water line along the sides of the windows. I didn't notice anything on the ceiling.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:57 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampr View Post
Thanks! So the wet area was along the top of the bed where the pillows are. The bed cover in that area was pretty wet. I actually went and checked the windows and the stone guards now and they are closed well. The vent above the bed was closed. The vent is towards the bottom of the bed. And we could see the water water line along the sides of the windows. I didn't notice anything on the ceiling.

So just to be sure - when you say the windows are closed, are they locked as well? The handles on the window turn up a latch that should be inside a plate (like threading a needle).
Assuming that's the case, I'm going to guess you've got a warranty repair on your hands.

Bummer for sure, but fixable and under warranty. So "git r done" and hit the trails for some camping!!

Good luck!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:49 AM   #56
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Anytown , USA
Quote:
So just to be sure - when you say the windows are closed, are they locked as well? The handles on the window turn up a latch that should be inside a plate (like threading a needle).
Assuming that's the case, I'm going to guess you've got a warranty repair on your hands.

Bummer for sure, but fixable and under warranty. So "git r done" and hit the trails for some camping!!

Good luck!!
Yep, closed and locked.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:05 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
We bought our FC 25FB last September/October and have had to deal with a intermittent leak under the galley sink at the filter bypass. I have taken it in to have it repaired by our local dealer- who I might add has been helpful and repaired 14 other QC issues, but the leak has returned even after they tightened the PEX rings on all the connection under there.
We also had a leak in the city water inlet valve. The only reason I was able to find that was because of another post on this forum that mentioned it. I proactively looked for the connection which is inside a closet and hidden away behind a small ply panel. Sure enough the leak was between the inner and outer wall and the insulation was soaking wet. The dealer replaced this as well. I would encourage others to look at that connection as well. It's a slow leak, and there is no other way to find it but accessing the area from inside the trailer and feeling for wet insulation through the small opening around the valve. Be careful, the aluminum sheet will cut you when you stick a finger in there to feel for wet insulation.
For all the QC problems, I will admit that as the days go by, I am less and less hassled by these issues and more appreciative of the fact that we still have the luxury of being able to tow a small house to some beautiful areas to 'camp'.
wanderingduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:27 AM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Anytown , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingduo View Post
We bought our FC 25FB last September/October and have had to deal with a intermittent leak under the galley sink at the filter bypass. I have taken it in to have it repaired by our local dealer- who I might add has been helpful and repaired 14 other QC issues, but the leak has returned even after they tightened the PEX rings on all the connection under there.
We also had a leak in the city water inlet valve. The only reason I was able to find that was because of another post on this forum that mentioned it. I proactively looked for the connection which is inside a closet and hidden away behind a small ply panel. Sure enough the leak was between the inner and outer wall and the insulation was soaking wet. The dealer replaced this as well. I would encourage others to look at that connection as well. It's a slow leak, and there is no other way to find it but accessing the area from inside the trailer and feeling for wet insulation through the small opening around the valve. Be careful, the aluminum sheet will cut you when you stick a finger in there to feel for wet insulation.
For all the QC problems, I will admit that as the days go by, I am less and less hassled by these issues and more appreciative of the fact that we still have the luxury of being able to tow a small house to some beautiful areas to 'camp'.
That's a great tip. I'll make sure to check for that leak next time we are out.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:01 AM   #59
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Anytown , USA
Quote:

Good luck!!
The dealer said the front windows were fine, but that the "marker lights" were not sealed. I didn't get a chance to talk to tech who did it, so not sure which lights are those. So it seems like this was a worse problem then I though because if the water was coming through the light openings that means it got in between the walls and got the insulation all wet. We'll hopefully that was it and we won't see the leak again.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:49 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
My wife and I are sooo disappointed. We've been looking at travel trailers for quite some time now. Kept coming back to Airstream as the brand we need, primarily due to the lowest VOCs of any of them on the market. Then, we kept trying to decide which size. Changed our minds several times. Finally decided the Flying Cloud 20 was just the right size for the two of us. So, we went in to our dealer this morning for the walk-through. We had a great gentleman providing the orientation and provided some very helpful tips. Things were looking and feeling great. About 1 1/2 hours into the orientation we experienced a flood of water pouring out of one of the A/C air in-take registers. There must have been about 1/2 gallon of water pour out before the technician turned off the A/C. Water also oozed out of one of the panel seams - so we are certain water got into the sidewall and soaked the insulation. As a result, we decided to NOT take delivery and are now trying to decide what we should do. Right now we are terribly disappointed and disillusioned.
CanonFan is offline   Reply With Quote