Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2016, 02:35 PM   #121
3 Rivet Member

Milford Center , Ohio
For those of you with lift kits - it seems like a lot of people with very tall trucks (like the new Fords) end up with long drops down to the ball & generally more complicated hitch setups. Would having a lift kit make it easier to get the hitch setup, or is it just a matter of having to order an extra part or two?
DPRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 03:32 PM   #122
explorer

Currently Looking...
On the Road Full Time , Utah
I wouldn't get a lift just for that. I don't feel like a lifted truck has a more complicated setup, you just need to run an adjustable height hitch. If anything, an adjustable hitch should help you dial in your trailer better. (Unless you're an idiot like me and you raise it too much).
explore more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:38 AM   #123
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Have to agree on the lift kit. My tow vehicle (4x4 2500 diesel chevy) sits a lot higher than my original vehicle did. I just bought a geny hitch and it's perfect now.
https://genyhitch.com

I think you pretty much have to expect to have a long drop down when a lot of the trucks now have 20" tires (even without the 4x4), so you're already having to drop down, then once companies toss in the 4x4 capability and it's tough finding a 2500 diesel without 4x4 regardless of brand, you have to drop down even further. But the lift kit on the airstream doesn't add that much to the equation. You will still need a drop down.
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:18 PM   #124
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
Hi Steve and Teressa,
I responded to one of your YouTube videos last week about our experience with our 23D. Actually, I subscribed to your channel way back when you were first looking for a trailer. Glad you chose an Airstream. After all these discussions on the 25SS, I hope Airstream considers bringing it back. If we went larger in order to full-time, we'd consider the 25SS (if we could find one -- and it's been a tough search) or the 27FB. The 25FB is not one that works for us -- that sideways bed is bad feng shui, or something. Our dealer offered one to us (Safari trim) when we bought our 23D (International) for the same price as we paid for the 23D. It just felt "off" to us. Knowing what we know now, we should have placed an order for a 25SS back in 2008 when we purchased. Oh well.

I'm pretty obsessed by the 25SS and get really excited when I see one (like on the back of the current Airstream Life magazine -- there is a thread about that one here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f370...al-106742.html).

Also, I just saw this interview with these full-timers, and yup, they have a 25SS: I like the way they narrowed the dinette. In your case, you would make it into a desk. All good!

Take care, and I'm glad to see you are considering keeping the 30 -- it cuts down our competition! ha! kidding!

Lisa

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:20 PM   #125
explorer

Currently Looking...
On the Road Full Time , Utah
Good luck. We won't be competing for a 25ss anytime soon, so best of luck. I'd love to design a new airstream model from scratch. I've got some fun ideas.
explore more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:20 PM   #126
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
I'd love to design a new airstream model from scratch. I've got some fun ideas.
Me too. Today I went and looked at a 26U twin. I really liked it. I was having a bit of trouble with the U dinette but the layout was great. My 25 twin has a couch and similar to the 25ss. The couch in the front without the dinette front and center just seems to open up the trailer. There is floor space. I noticed it especially when I looked at a 30' Classic today. Yes it was a longer trailer but most of that length was in the rest of it- the kitchen counter, the wardrobe the bathroom, etc., the couch and living area were so open. I like the older Classic 25 like mine but I really like that 26 U bathroom layout. Your 30' is certainly a good choice.
Old 11-13-2016, 05:06 AM   #127
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
I like the older Classic 25 like mine but I really like that 26 U bathroom layout. Your 30' is certainly a good choice.
We seriously considered the 26U before we bought the 23D. There's a lot to like about the layout of the 26U. Ironically the one thing we liked about the 23D was not having to break down the table every night to have a bed for our daughter (who now is at college).. we had to break down the table to make the bed in our A-Frame and we were looking forward to not having to do that every night. The ironic part is, it only took one night of sleeping on the slide-out for our daughter to decided she really wanted to sleep on the end where the table is, so we have to make that up every night when she camps with us.

But there's a lot to like about the 26U.
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:52 AM   #128
3 Rivet Member

Milford Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrisett View Post
But there's a lot to like about the 26U.
My spouse and I just visited an Airstream dealer for the first time yesterday, and took a good long look at a 26U. Based on the photos & videos, I was afraid that the hallway down the middle would feel too cramped (especially compared to the 25, 28 and other trailers in that range). I was pleasantly surprised by the whole trailer - it really didn't feel any more cramped in the middle than the others, and we really liked the U-shaped lounge area, especially with one table up.

I think a tiny more space in the bedroom area does make a little difference, even if it's less than a foot. The 25 twin has a wall immediately at the foot of both beds, with a storage locker that overhangs the bed. The extra space at the foot of the bed in the 28 makes the bedroom area feel more open, but we liked the 26U bedroom even better - the small dresser/drawer area made it feel even more open. I think it's the best rear bedroom in the 26U is the best of all of them. it's only a foot longer than a 25, and a foot shorter than the 27 & 28, but we'd choose it over any of them.

Another big surprise was how much we liked the Classic. I thought it would feel old and fussy, and I've been questioning the taste of those who own one. I was dead wrong - in person, it's absolutely beautiful! I'm now jealous of those of you who own classics. I'm not sure we'd want a trailer that long, even if we could afford it, but it sure was pretty to look at.
DPRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote