Old 01-06-2019, 10:26 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Traveling with teen granddaughter and her BFF we found a long mirror 4ft tall 2 ft or so wide less than $10 was a must. They preferred the CG showers and that helped quite a bit. Was surprised how well they packed with mix and match outfits.
Used CG laundry hen needed. While traveling they entertained themselves with cell phones or sleep.

Old 01-06-2019, 02:41 PM   #30
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Canadian laundromats use $1 coins, universally called "loonies" because of the picture of a loon on them. You might collect those, as well. (The $2 coin is called a "toonie.")

If you ask ahead, your local bank might set you up with Canadian bills before you go, otherwise just change some money across the border. Right now the Canadian $ is worth 75c US, so your money will go a lot further.

While the Alberta and Montana weather patterns tend to be similar to the mountains in Wyoming, we just prepare for cold weather at night.

One other thing I might mention is that Glacier and Banff are really big parks. You know from Yellowstone that it might be easier just to stay out all day, because back-and-forth during the day soaks up a lot of time.

We used to make Glacier NP an annual trip, but forest fires during the past two years have really impacted the visibility and closed sections of the park at times.
Hopefully you won't experience any this summer.

Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:03 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Haute-Aboujagane , New Brunswick
We used to camp with our three teenage boys in a Apache (pop-up camper) until a few years ago.

Here are a few tips to saving your sanity in a camper.
*Buy a pop-up hamper for dirty clothes. It will keep everything tidy.
*Get 4 bins to organize everyone's stuff (keys,cellphones, etc..)
*Bring along ear plugs and sleep mask for everyone ,that way you have less chance of disturbing one another at night or early morning for bathroom breaks or snoring etc..
*Get a bin for your shoes 4 sets of shoes at the door can become annoying quick.
*A screen tent with fold up chairs is a great way to expand your "living area" and give everyone a little extra space.
That is all I can think of for now, I hope you have a great trip!
chrisetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:16 PM   #32
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Check out www.rvtripwizard.com, itís Airstreamer (and forum member owned). It will save time and help you find great campgrounds and provide a logical way to store your trip info.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:20 PM   #33
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Possible...👍 You bet.

You can do a lot in an AS.😳

We 'docked in the Adirondacks with no hook-ups for two weeks...4 adults and two dogs.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_417.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	393.0 KB
ID:	331335   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_365.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	331336  

"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel itís supposed to be done"Ö..
Amanamus

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:49 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
chrisetmike,
Thanks for the practical ideas. The "mudroom" is the hardest part some times.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:41 AM   #35

Bad Vilbel , Hesse
The only recommendation I can add after that bunch of good advice: agree before between you 4 that signal, that says ĄI need time on my oneď. We had our 26 year old son last fall with us in our 25 RBQ. From time to time everyone needed this private time without explanation why, as we are not used to be so close all the day anymore. We found his ideas for what to visit very inspiring and out of our regular interests.
ClaudiaU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:18 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

Anchorage , Alaska
LL Bean sells a very nice screen tent. You can upgrade it with a floor and/or rain fly. The year we went to Banff and GNP the mosquitoes were horrible. Thermacell a great addition to screen tent. We use a folding table for in the screen tent. 4 people you just naturally need space to stretch out or get some alone time.
AKStreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:08 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Claudia-great idea on a polite "pretend I'm not here right now" signal.

AK-thanks for the additional screen tent idea.

I have been looking at a few. It appears that most have a floor like a regular tent. If the campsite has a fixed in place table, then the tent couldn't be used with the table.

Do you find that you use it with your chairs more, and want the floor, or over the pic nic table and don't need a floor?

Also-we got our reservations yesterday 40 minutes after they opened the website, after the page crashing on me 3 times. So it is official now!

Piggy Bank
Old 01-10-2019, 10:12 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Thanks for the thermocell mention.

Santa actually brought us one this year (at a friend's recommendation). I opted for the newer version that uses the rechargeable battery instead of butane, since it will work in all elevations. Haven't had a chance to try it.

I was not aware of the battery operated Thermacell Radius until your post Piggy Bank. We go thru quite a few butane cartridges during the 9 month bug season full timing here in south central Texas. The cost per hour is similar between both technologies but the convenience factor would make it worth the switch. Thanks for the heads up.
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:14 PM   #39

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Poulsbo , Washington
Also-we got our reservations yesterday 40 minutes after they opened the website, after the page crashing on me 3 times. So it is official now![/QUOTE]

Wow, wasnít that crazy, getting reservations? We are planning a trip in August. I was online just as reservations opened, and had the same experience- website crashing a few times before we got our spot. By the next day, only 15 spots left out of the ~850 in Tunnel Village Trailer Court, during the time weíll be there. Hope the park isnít too crazy; we want to get in a few hikes and some driving to see some other sites. Cant wait! Iíve been looking forward to it for a few years! And, looking forward to hearing how your trip goes!
DougFelts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:38 AM   #40
1 Rivet Member

Anchorage , Alaska
[QUOTE=Piggy

AK-thanks for the additional screen tent idea.

I have been looking at a few. It appears that most have a floor like a regular tent. If the campsite has a fixed in place table, then the tent couldn't be used with the table.

Do you find that you use it with your chairs more, and want the floor, or over the pic nic table and don't need a floor?[QUOTE]

Piggy-the LL Bean screen tent floor is a separate piece. Set up the screen tent, then lay in the floor. Itís effectively a lightweight tarp that has elastic cords that attach to the corners to keep it in place. Would be easy to pick up and place over a campsite picnic table or set up off to the side. Itís very versatile and very durable. With two teenage boys, weíve had ours up and down a couple dozen times and in use 50+ camping days. It isnít cheap but I would buy again in a heartbeat once/if this one wears out.

To beat the privacy/moment-to-yourself drum again, that screen tent has been a godsend. With a couple gravity recliners, it is a wonderful quiet place to read a book, take a nap or listen to music (earbuds). Lousy weather, no problem, phenomenal rain fly with sidewalls that can be rolled up for ventilation. With tie downs itís stood up to 20 mph winds with driving rain - cozy.

I am sure there are other wonderful models out there, but I can say the LL Bean model is a 10 out of 10.

Enjoy the Going-to-the-Sun road. Spectacular views, nerve-wracking narrow road. NO TRAILERS! My crewcab GMC 2500 almost seemed too big - it wasnít, but my gosh are those inner curves tight.

Have Fun
AKStreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:16 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Thanks AK. I will have to build up some LL bean credit card points I guess!

I was looking at some of the screen room options, and mentioning it to my husband.

His comment was-what do the people on the Airstream Forum think about how bad the mosquitos will be?

So that is the next question I guess. What have people's experiences been with sitting outside and mosquitos in July in Glacier and Banff?

We have had mixed experiences in Yellowstone. One year no issues, next year, it was so bad we stayed inside pretty much the whole time.

Piggy Bank
Old 01-11-2019, 02:36 PM   #42
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We have a screen tent with no floor, because that was all we could find locally on short notice.

Advantage-- easy to set up over a standard picnic table. No problem with camp chairs, &c. We brought it to the Lake Louise CG in Banff NP one year when the mosquitoes were bad, and it worked well for 4 of us traveling together, plus the 3 other Airstreamers who dropped by to say hello.

I'd say July is mosquito season in Glacier and Banff-- they tend to die down later in August and September, but some years are better or worse than others.The forests have been dry enough the past few years that mosquitoes haven't been the problem: it's forest fires. Even when they're not close, if it doesn't rain the smoke build-up becomes pretty bad.

Disadvantages-- unless you can roll down some flaps and the tent is super well-made, it isn't useable in the rain. For tent campers (like grand kids) you'd need some kind of additional ground sheet, and a back-up for rainy nights.

Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote