Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2017, 10:25 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
Trickle charger

I have been told that having a trickle charger will keep my batteries charged while in storage. With that info any suggestions for a brand and size? Do any of you seasoned RV'ers use one. What keeps it from over charging the batteries?
dlenloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:31 AM   #2
The Tin Man

2017 27' International
SoCal , California
I would not use a trickle charger on RV batteries for long term storage. I would charge them fully and then disconnect them from the trailer. If I was going for super long storage (like a year) then I would pull the batteries and keep them with me, charging them up as needed at home. Trickle chargers wear your batteries out. You only get a good 4-500 charges out of lead-acid batteries anyway. As always, the information expressed is SOLELY my opinion.
WBCC #4913
sandollars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
A 'smart' charger such as BatteryMinder will maintain batteries without damage. I've used such for years, even on the massive house bank on our sailboat. See their website for sizing.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:01 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
Thanks for the info. I'll check into the Battery Minder website.
dlenloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:21 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
A 'smart' charger such as BatteryMinder will maintain batteries without damage. I've used such for years, even on the massive house bank on our sailboat. See their website for sizing.
Agree...we use a 3a battery minder from Costco. Been using similar chargers for years with great results. Be sure to check the water level especially in summer months.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:09 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Ramara , Ontario
I like the ctek battery chargers, I have a 3300 and a 4300. I am using one to keep my batteries maintained right now as our AS sits in the driveway.
Kevin
KSA63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 05:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
What about using the 160W solar panel as a trickle charger? Glass mat batteries....
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:06 AM   #8

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Solar panels are great trickle chargers power source, it's your controller that needs to have a float charge setting. Most do do you should be okay.
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:35 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
Irving , Texas
what does the use store battery rocker switch inside do....when I'm not using the trailer do I press the store side...my batteries still loose the charge...
George Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
No, the store switch does not completely disengage the batteries. If everything is shut off in the trailer then the store switch might not help. But it does prevent the possibility of something being accidentally left on. Like a light in a storage compartment or a closet or something like that. So use the switch and arrange to deal with the parasitic drain if storing long term.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:16 PM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
With our Lifeline AGM's the final solution was charge them fully, remove neg cables, and wait 'til Spring.
At first I removed them in the Fall, but noticed they lasted the thru Winter if fully charged at the start.
Next... left then in with switch in store, installed switch on LP detector but parasitic still drained' them. AGM's will hold if no draw.

Marine/RV,(as our Boat) not so much...best case, take out and maintain "on the bench".
Leave installed on the converter and ck often.
Leave installed on a dedicated "storage" charger.

I would...✋🏻if stored remotely disconnect electrical completely, no shore power, no DC. Why temp fate?

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-29-2018, 04:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we have used the DEWALT DXAEC80CA for a few years

it has a 30A output
it can do two batteries independently
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:06 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Having read most of the threads regarding trickle charging batteries over the winter, there seems to be no consensus. I have two 6V Interstate batteries that I purchased at the beginning of the season and am charging them with a CTEK float charger. The trailer switch is in the Store mode. Does keeping the batteries on the trickle charger through the winter cause any wear to the batteries? Some people trickle all winter, some don't and some disconnect the batteries altogether. Just trying to get the most out of batteries that were new at the beginning of the season.
abqdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:10 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqdor View Post
Having read most of the threads regarding trickle charging batteries over the winter, there seems to be no consensus. I have two 6V Interstate batteries that I purchased at the beginning of the season and am charging them with a CTEK float charger. The trailer switch is in the Store mode. Does keeping the batteries on the trickle charger through the winter cause any wear to the batteries? Some people trickle all winter, some don't and some disconnect the batteries altogether. Just trying to get the most out of batteries that were new at the beginning of the season.
Having them on a trickle charger and keeping them fully charged is the best way to maintain your batteries for long life. Keeping them on a charger with a float charge will not cause any wear to the batteries.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 12:19 PM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There is no need or value to trickle charging a battery *unless* it self discharges to a dangerous level. What's dangerous? A level that then allows it to freeze. Yes that's a combination of two things, the rate your batteries self discharge (in cold weather) and just how cold it gets where they are sitting.

Really old batteries that are on their last legs may self discharge pretty quick. They probably should be replaced. Batteries that are in reasonable shape should hold a charge through the winter that is "good enough" for -40 degree temperatures.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I put a trickle charger on my AS batteries (Interstate). For these types of batteries they last longer when a full charge is maintained. I leave the batteries in, the chargers on, and I have no problem. The Pole Barn is not warm, but that’s not a problem. If you have different types of batteries this may not be the case. For the Interstate Batteries no need to disconnect from trailer. No need to take them out. Just check from time to time. In the past I left the trailer plugged into 20 AMP outlet. I had no problems with the batteries going dead.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:34 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlenloe View Post
I have been told that having a trickle charger will keep my batteries charged while in storage. With that info any suggestions for a brand and size? Do any of you seasoned RV'ers use one. What keeps it from over charging the batteries?
I use a two step process.
Step one. Disconnect the batteries with a switch at the battery box.
Step two. Use a trickle charger with a "float" cycle. I'm currently using a NoCoGenius 3500. I plug it into the power source, not the trailer.
Over the years I've had at least 5 Battery Tenders and all of them have failed. You can tell me about the warranty, but I've already dealt with Deltran, so I know it's meh.
If you like them, great.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:23 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I recently bought a charger/maintainer from NECO with terrible results. These smart chargers are sometimes designed wrong and in my case, charged the batteries and then went dormant. It was defective and I almost lost 2 Lifeline AGM batteries.

Disconnect them and take them home where you can watch them.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:42 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
I remove my house AGM and store it in a semi-warm area, every month during the months its removed I first check the battery charge / status then charge on a trickle charge for about 6 hours. They never discharge appreciably in the month. Now I only have one battery if you have four house batteries that’s getting to be a big job, but for some with one or two, not so bad. I am conservative and don’t recommend leaving a trickle charger hooked up for months at a time . That’s me.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:25 PM   #20
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Have run our trailer on the Progressive Converter for 6 years. Only changed batteries January 2018 because I am a freak. Of course living in central Texas as we do, has unique weather.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote