Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2019, 06:25 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Top Pantry Opening on the Road-27 FB FC

We have a Flying Cloud 27 FB model.

The pantry is a triple door stack.

Bottom and middle are both pull-out type and have a push-button positive push button latch. No problems there.

The top section is a hinged door with 2 shelves behind the door.

We have had the door get pushed open while driving, spilling the contents all over. I assume that these contents are quite literally pushing the door open.

What solutions have users come up with to prevent this from happening? Ideally I would like a solution that is not ugly.

One idea would be to do some type of netting inside the cabinet for each shelf individually to prevent the contents from pushing the door.

Anyone have any other ideas?
Or any ways to secure the door besides ugly plastic baby proofing products?

Thanks in advance.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post

Bottom and middle are both pull-out type and have a push-button positive push button latch. No problems there.

The top section is a hinged door with 2 shelves behind the door.

We have had the door get pushed open while driving, spilling the contents all over. I assume that these contents are quite literally pushing the door open.

What solutions have users come up with to prevent this from happening? Ideally I would like a solution that is not ugly.

One idea would be to do some type of netting inside the cabinet for each shelf individually to prevent the contents from pushing the door.

Anyone have any other ideas?
Or any ways to secure the door besides ugly plastic baby proofing products?

Thanks in advance.
Piggy Bank, I feel your pain! We found the two drawers under the sink in our 27’ GT on the floor after a trip in the Rockies.

Credit goes to nryn for finding a magnetic lock that works great - and does not change the outside appearance of the cabinet.

Check out post #18 for photos: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f543...te-199643.html

The locks can be disabled during use and only locking during travel.

The other option is to add another latch to help hold it close. I found some on Amazon that look like the Airstream versions but with more strength. They rate them in pounds of force to open.

Hope that helps!
Jeff
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:32 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The typical "latch gizmos" on the doors and drawers are a common RV item. You can buy them on Amazon or from a number of trailer outfits. They come in a wide range of pull strengths ranging from "pathetic" to "I need a crowbar". They are pretty cheap.

It just takes a screw driver to swap them out. Indeed there are probably some with a different screw pattern on them, if so I've been lucky so far.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:58 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
Push Button Rim Latch

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/push...ch-chrome.html

Installed this a few years ago had no problem since, also installed this shelf.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00S2220-polished-nickel-push-button-latch-f-10.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	354486   Click image for larger version

Name:	.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	354487  

Old 10-18-2019, 08:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Two solutions I have found for identical problem (Remember, the door is not springing open. It is being pushed open by the contents sliding and pushing it open from the inside. In my case it was our single-serve Keurig.))
1. Simple, field expedient. Cut a 1x2 appropriate length to bridge the shelf, side to side, behind the door. Use some double sided tape to hold it in place.
2. More exotic. Ask the parts man at your Airstream dealer to order a latch identical to the one on the other two doors. You must still put a 3/4 inch lip on the bottom shelf for it too catch on, put it will look nice.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:21 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
You would think

I see issues with this being posted quite often. You would think that the AS people would come up with something that actually works for drawers and shelves on a moving trailer. Everyone seems to have to deal with this eventually, and it's really annoying given what we pay for these things.
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:33 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Currently Looking...
Antes Fort , Pennsylvania
I hold the door closed with a shock cord while traveling.
alphamale49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:47 AM   #8
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
Try Shower Adjustable Shower Rods

Not a very elegant solution, but we use adjustable shower rods to keep things closed, e.g. the floor drawer by our 27FB entry door, our pantry door and sometimes, the door above the pantry (the one you are having trouble with).

Just extend the shower rod to whatever length you want and then wedge it between the culprit door and a surface across the hallway. Works great if you don't want to experiment with stronger latches.

I agree that Airstream can do much better with their latch choices and for the money we're already paying, should not be cutting corners in a manner that introduces an unnecessary, chronic and aggravating problem.
demijac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:02 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
I saw one of the Vintage trailers at Doswel where the owner had added Permanent Magnets to hold the flip up door closed. Others simply doubled up on the spring cylinders

i have lost more than half of my Corel dinnerware to the floor of the trailer in shards that I'm still recovering from under the couch. I plan to investigate this as a possible solution. In the mean time I fold up a tea towel and tuck it under the bottom layer of dishes then flip up the rest over the front of the stack...so far it is working
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 12:18 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Clearwater , Florida
Drawers and cabinet opening

We bought some light weight bungie cords. Tie the kitchen 4 drawer stack and the wardrobe door together. Problem solved
ChuckFeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 12:41 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post

I'll assume your three cabinets are similar to mine on the 26, two with button latches and one with a catch.
First, I found a scrap of white carpet and cut it to fit the cabinet. That pretty much stops things from sliding. (I also did that in the drawers where I keep pots and pans) I also added some non skid shelf liner.
Then I replaced the 4 lb. latch with the exact match, except in a 10 lb. pull. Seriously, I can't tell a lot of difference...but....
Airstream uses 'Southco' and I only replaced the part with the spring. Holes all lined up.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Some folks were having trouble with the button drawers sliding open. I didn't, but I still made some insurance. I cut a 3/4" dowel about 26" long and put rubber cane tips on it. I cut it to fit snugly between the drawer and the bathroom door opposite. Nothing moves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Prop.png
Views:	69
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	354511  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 12:59 PM   #12
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Let's try a different approach. Maybe, maybe, lowering your tire pressure by 5, 10 ..... And see if lowering the PSI will give your rig a smoother ride.
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 03:25 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Thanks for all of the ideas.

Think I will start with the obvious but not there now rubber non-slip liner on the shelves. As Homer Simpson says "d'ohh!"

Then I am considering something like netting inside the cabinet to cover the opening when in transit. My reason for this consideration would be that it would not be visible from the outside and would not require any holes in the door front.

I am intrigued by the tension rod across the aisle idea also.

Molly's dad-thanks for the amazon link on the spring catch. I need to get one anyway for under the bench. Might as well get a couple.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:08 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Pack differently?

I have not had that problem. I'm thinking it's because I keep light/boxed stuff in that upper cabinet. Most often it's loaded with cereal boxes, bags of ground coffee and such.

One solution might be a rearrangement of where you load stuff to put battering-ram items below and lighter, fluffy things (a bag of marshmallows for the 's'mores?) above.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:07 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaDog View Post
I have not had that problem. I'm thinking it's because I keep light/boxed stuff in that upper cabinet. Most often it's loaded with cereal boxes, bags of ground coffee and such.
Mine has dishes. Once I found all my new Corelle dishes on the floor! Thankfully, it's on carpet and none broke.
I'm sure the door doesn't open because the trailer bounces up and down, it opens because one side of the roadway has a dip and the other side doesn't, causing a 'snap roll' as pilots would call it. Everything gets tossed sideways.
Since I put the non-skid in and changed the latch to a 10 lb. spring nothing has moved.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:46 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Petrolia , Ontario
I had the identical problem in our 23' and corrected it by installing the push button latch Airstream uses for the slide out pantry cabinet. Now my biggest problem is remembering it is there and pushing on the button before pulling on the handle. Only seldom now do things fall out at my feet when I open the door. I had expected it to become a booby trap, only to be released when you open the door the first time after each day's travel.
Thinking about the sprung pole idea, rather than a shower curtain size, maybe (if they're still available) you could get a window sized tension rod and insert it inside the cabinet. That would stop items inside from "knocking" on the door.
Portage to Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:47 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Great Solution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portage to Caravan View Post
maybe (if they're still available) you could get a window sized tension rod and insert it inside the cabinet. That would stop items inside from "knocking" on the door.
The cabinet in question would not require a latch if contents can be controlled as you suggest.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:58 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Yorba Linda , California
We had the same problem.

I replaced the latch with a non-magnetic touch latch from Rockler Woodworking there part# number 92891 420622 S# 400000928913. The latch is a positive latch, to open, push on door and latch releases door to open.

I think there is another issue, as I had small things fall of couch while driving. I think the pressure is to high for the GVW and these tires and this makes the rougher ride, I lowered my tire pressure to the pressure Goodyear has on the chart for the tire size and GVW. I now have less bounce damage.
soling917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:47 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
We were able to fix our cabinets with child proof locks that can be released when the trailer is in one place. It also helps to have a very "slip proof" cabinet/drawer liner under anything that is apt to wander during travel...I used a piece of a yogo mat and nothing wanders anymore.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (we also use these in our home as earthquake locks!)
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 12:44 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Simpsonville , South Carolina
Bungie cords

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckFeldt View Post
We bought some light weight bungie cords. Tie the kitchen 4 drawer stack and the wardrobe door together. Problem solved
Likewise, we bungee all the lower cabinets and the wardrobe.. No problem with the the upper cabinets yet, but they have double spring latch closures.
sctinman44 is offline   Reply With Quote