Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2019, 03:41 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
This...toilet.

I know it's a first world problem. But BESIDES the knee-smacking contortions when doing...toilet things...in our 27FB water closet (yes, I know should have thought it through BEFORE we settled on the 27), I have issues with the china bowl and the plastic seat with regards to physics, fluid dynamics, and cleanliness. It's not for the squeamish. You have been warned.

It seems that when a male person (which I am not, but I live with one) uses the toilet in a typically male fashion, the smallness/shallowness/slope of the china bowl combined with the lack of a rim on the bowl allows - or perhaps even causes - a certain, hmmm, spray pattern to appear on the underside of the (lifted) seat and lid. And also on surrounding areas, like walls. I do not think this is an issue (shall we say) regarding aim, but one might suppose that is a discussion one will have later.

(In fairness, it is of course possible that a female person, even when seated, could produce a spray pattern on the underside of the seat, but certainly not on the lid or walls. Unless something has gone seriously haywire.)

While said spray pattern is undesirable in all cases, cleaning the lid and walls is not that big a deal, since they are, for the most part, flat (also a discussion one might be having later.) However, the underside of the seat is divided by plastic ribs, presumably for strength. These are a royal pain to clean.

I cannot change the size of the water closet. I cannot (from the research done on these forums) change the size of the toilet (please tell me if I'm wrong.) I cannot change the laws of physics. But I might be able to change the toilet seat to one without ribs.

Is Home Depot my friend? Will any regular round household toilet seat fit without Dremelling or drilling or bits and pieces or sacrifices of limbs?? Will I be able to change the direction of my life - wait, going too far - just changing the toilet seat will make me happy. For now. Please, Airstream gurus - tell me it's possible!
Old 10-07-2019, 04:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Sizee of bathroom

The size and layout of the bathroom in the 27' AS is why we purchased a 2019 FC 25 RBT. The next size AS with this same bathroom is the FC 30'. Very roomy and tons of storage.

Tell the male in your household to do just as you do. Sit down and do his business. It is the right thing to do. No misty spillage all over everything. There are ways to change his behavior. Get my drift (no pun intended)?
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Yeah. Everybody sits. Not a bad idea.

You can replace the toilet seat with something else from any big box store. I did - wooden seat with slow drop lid. 2 hand-tightened bolts - that’s it. Just like at home. I don’t remember for sure but I think it’s an extended seat (17.5” if I’m not mistaken?). Triple check before buying for your own.

I believe if the bolt pattern on the floor is right, you can also rotate the toilet a little toward the hallway to eliminate the knee knock against the sink.

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:28 PM   #4
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Fuss about the mess, tell 'em to sit down and I'll bet your problem will go away.....because they'll pee in the sink.....lol
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
My wife is enjoying this thread! The underside is a bad design for cleaning.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:35 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
GOUSC, right??? I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so.

CRH, fortunately, the sink is too high.

SteveSue, I am shopping TOMORROW.

Uraljohn...the 25 was too small, thought the 27 would be enough. And it is in every other way. I'm still not sure the extra three feet is worth my knees not knocking.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
I believe we have a similarly configured trailer....sooooo
My wife thought I was nuts 5 years ago when I asked a Dometic 310 with the elevated seat and spray nozzle for Christmas. However I was serious and it has helped things a lot. The 310 seems to fit better than the 320 though that would be my preference.
The 310 gets you into an elongated bowl and I put a solid self closing seat on it from Home Depot to get rid of the cheap one it comes with.
There is a long thread about folks doing swap outs that include how the 320 went.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:05 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Bweybright - according to my Dometic manual, the 320 is the elongated bowl and wooden seat. I think we have the 310 now (19 inches long vs 22). Not sure we have room in the 27fb for the 320's elongated bowl, although that might help.

I think I'm going to get a regular toilet seat and see if that helps anything. Least problematic thing to try!
Old 10-07-2019, 08:39 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnooMc View Post
I know it's a first world problem. But BESIDES the knee-smacking contortions when doing...toilet things...in our 27FB water closet (yes, I know should have thought it through BEFORE we settled on the 27), I have issues with the china bowl and the plastic seat with regards to physics, fluid dynamics, and cleanliness. It's not for the squeamish. You have been warned.

It seems that when a male person (which I am not, but I live with one) uses the toilet in a typically male fashion, the smallness/shallowness/slope of the china bowl combined with the lack of a rim on the bowl allows - or perhaps even causes - a certain, hmmm, spray pattern to appear on the underside of the (lifted) seat and lid. And also on surrounding areas, like walls. I do not think this is an issue (shall we say) regarding aim, but one might suppose that is a discussion one will have later.

(In fairness, it is of course possible that a female person, even when seated, could produce a spray pattern on the underside of the seat, but certainly not on the lid or walls. Unless something has gone seriously haywire.)

While said spray pattern is undesirable in all cases, cleaning the lid and walls is not that big a deal, since they are, for the most part, flat (also a discussion one might be having later.) However, the underside of the seat is divided by plastic ribs, presumably for strength. These are a royal pain to clean.

I cannot change the size of the water closet. I cannot (from the research done on these forums) change the size of the toilet (please tell me if I'm wrong.) I cannot change the laws of physics. But I might be able to change the toilet seat to one without ribs.

Is Home Depot my friend? Will any regular round household toilet seat fit without Dremelling or drilling or bits and pieces or sacrifices of limbs?? Will I be able to change the direction of my life - wait, going too far - just changing the toilet seat will make me happy. For now. Please, Airstream gurus - tell me it's possible!

100% - this is from two males sharing a similar trailer.
I am regularly cleaning/wiping and fully intend to swap out the seat. The multiple ribs/sections make it a colossal pain to clean.
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:04 PM   #10

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quite honestly the toilet in my 30’ Classic is not conducive to a stand up mode and as a courtesy I use it sitting in order to keep things tidy. I feel that asking your male companion to use this toilet accordingly is not out of line.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:13 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
LBOskiBear - I will post pics if I find a suitable seat!

Jack - that's good to know about the 30. Lessens the buyer's remorse. As for the other...we'll see!
Old 10-07-2019, 10:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Quote:
Bweybright - according to my Dometic manual, the 320 is the elongated bowl and wooden seat. I think we have the 310 now (19 inches long vs 22). Not sure we have room in the 27fb for the 320's elongated bowl, although that might help.

I think I'm going to get a regular toilet seat and see if that helps anything. Least problematic thing to try!
If you currently have the 310 then you are ahead of where I started. I would definitely suggest getting a solid seat....(I do like my solid wood self closing one I put on, not spacious but comfy)
I do highly recommend the spray nozzle for skid mark and stuck tissue issues..... as well as a better rinse than the bowl gives on low water pressure....oh boy talk about intimate and tmi posts....
The crown makes the royal family happy each day so it is important to get it as good as you can.
I have read threads here somewhere when they shifted the bolts and moved the angle more towards the door, moved a wall or something.... and installed a 320. But I am not sure what this does with the space constraints at the back side flush side of the thrown. I did not pursue that course of action as I wanted quick and easy, then go traveling.
I do however think better seating helps things a lot.
Good luck on your quest.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:35 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Since we are on the toilet topic, we have a 27FB as well and I, as a somewhat short person, find the toilet seat a tad high. I have found that a small step stool on which to place my feet helps with the angles.
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:12 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
A man's perspective.

Yeah, the rimless toilet is a problem. All one has to do is try to pee while wearing shorts to understand the spray issue. That was my first actual complaint about our 30' Classic (2019).

It requires some experimentation, but if the stream is focused almost at the waterline in the front it minimizes the spray. The lid has to be lifted for this. You also have to wipe up after yourself because occasional spray still happens.

Also, if you think females are immune to this while sitting, you are sadly mistaken. The yellow tinge under the front of the toilet seat that is often blamed on males not lifting the seat is usually due to female usage. As an experiment, after doing your business, take a fresh piece of paper and wipe the inner rim and you will see what I mean.

It's everybody's job to clean up after themselves - whatever that entails. NEVER leave the mess for someone else to discover. It's the source of much marital and familial discord.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:00 PM   #15
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Of course you got the seat with the minimalist plastic composite in your Flying Cloud. That selection is the Thor corporate cost saving mantra in action. Dometic does make a seat for all their toilets that replicates what you have become accustomed to in household settings. This is what you want:

https://www.ganderoutdoors.com/slow-...ite-96154.html

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:55 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Well, I gambled. After taking some measurements, I determined that an elongated seat/lid (wooden, flat bottom) would fit our round bowl, just barely. You can see one of the water fill holes at the very front. Although technically this change only helps with the cleaning aspect (no more ribs!!!), the seat is surprisingly more comfortable, and possibly a little more user-friendly, than the plastic. My husband says it now protrudes too far and he hits his knee on it while standing there brushing his teeth, but you can't have everything, apparently.
Not sure this is the ideal long-term solution, but it's relatively cheap and easy and non-invasive. We'll run the experiment for awhile because why the heck not.
I've taken some pics but the WiFi hamsters are lazy. I'll upload them in the next day or so. (The pics, not the hamsters.)
SnooMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:30 PM   #17
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
So... wonderful, whole post got flushed... spectacular.

Your question... why and how can I control this "issue"... litterally

Flow dynamics. A fluid stream at perpendicular strike angles plunges into another liquid where it causes higher disruption in the surface tension and viscous bonds... "it splashes". Same stream at a 30 or 45 degree angle will have less 'splash'. You can test this with your garden hose sprayed directly then at a 45 degree angle to the side of the Airstream. Net, try spraying into a bucket.. spray directly and get lots of splash.. hit the side on an angle... much more interesting.. This can be applied to serving beer... drip down the inside or pour down the middle? Which is less likely to bubble up?

Now, imagine the 'issue' impacting the side of the toilet bowl.. much less splash! and quieter in our small spaces..

Also, keep some disinfecting wipe which can quickly deploy for those pesky pressure change or trailer movement deflecting the stream...

The underseat.. clean slots then fill with baking soda and use super glue to lock in place. A final coat of thin epoxy paint will set the problem to rest.

Many other options... these are jus to get the juices flowing in a useful way..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:45 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Well, I gambled. After taking some measurements, I determined that an elongated seat/lid (wooden, flat bottom) would fit our round bowl, just barely. You can see one of the water fill holes at the very front. Although technically this change only helps with the cleaning aspect (no more ribs!!!), the seat is surprisingly more comfortable, and possibly a little more user-friendly, than the plastic. My husband says it now protrudes too far and he hits his knee on it while standing there brushing his teeth, but you can't have everything, apparently.
Not sure this is the ideal long-term solution, but it's relatively cheap and easy and non-invasive. We'll run the experiment for awhile because why the heck not.
I've taken some pics but the WiFi hamsters are lazy. I'll upload them in the next day or so. (The pics, not the hamsters.)
Why did you go with an elongated seat if you have a round bowl? You should have bought the round seat. Fits perfectly on the dometic "round" bowl.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7858_res (2).jpg
Views:	102
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	353845  

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:56 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Fascinating discussion! My male counterpart apparently doesn't seem to have aiming issues... However, we've found through trial and error (mostly error) that when doing one's solid waste disposal duties, filling the bowl partway with water before sitting down seems to help things "slide down" better. We also have a sprayer which we find is wonderful for additional rinsing.
I'm seriously going to look for a solid seat, though, because those slats are #***# disgusting to clean!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:12 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Turk123, we prefer elongated bowls in general, for the extra space when seated.
The seat does cover the entire time; it's not like there's a gap. We'll see how it works.