Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2019, 05:13 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by nryn View Post
I can't speak to the Costco grill, as I have a Weber (which I have converted). The principles are the same, though.

The A/S has a low-pressure propane quick release port. These portable grills are designed to run off 1-lb high-pressure propane cylinders (most people will know these as the green Coleman camping cylinders). Because those cylinders are high-pressure the grill has a regulator just after the propane cylinder connection.

To convert one of these grills to low-pressure use, their regulator and propane cylinder attachment (a threaded port) needs to be removed (which involves decoupling the regulator from the burner assembly and usually detaching it from some kind of support on the grill) and affixing in its place a propane hose quick-release connector.

For the Weber, there are expensive-ish kits that save you the hassle of finding (for cheap) the right parts at the hardware store. I used one such kit by a company called Torjik. In addition to providing "custom" support brackets for their hose attachment, they also have an accessory hose that includes a regulator so that if I want or need to I could again use a bottle. If they or some other company does not make such a kit for the Costco grill, just Google for instructions; I'm sure someone already has exact part #s for an online or big box store for your grill if the parts are not identical.

Hope that helps.
It does; thanks! This particular grill is meant to run off of a regular propane tank like a large grill and there is a hose and regulator just like my regular home Weber. The grill end has a bolted connection and the other end is for the standard tank. I don't think this was ever meant to run off of a small coleman-style tank (I do have a burner from my tent camping day that sat on top of one of those little tanks). In any case, I will do some more online searching but thank you for spelling out some of those parameters!

On a side note; glad to see you are just about ready to hit the road in that new AS and TV! :-) I have been following that thread.
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:49 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewTheDew View Post
It does; thanks! This particular grill is meant to run off of a regular propane tank like a large grill and there is a hose and regulator just like my regular home Weber. The grill end has a bolted connection and the other end is for the standard tank. I don't think this was ever meant to run off of a small coleman-style tank (I do have a burner from my tent camping day that sat on top of one of those little tanks). In any case, I will do some more online searching but thank you for spelling out some of those parameters!
If this grill at Costco is the one under discussion here, you should be good to go. It's hard to tell from the pics whether the hose connection point is a quick-connect fitting (it doesn't look like it); if it isn't you'd simplify your life a bit by getting a low pressure quick connect fitting to attach to the grill and a hose with quick-connects to run between your grill and the port on your AS. Save the hose it comes with for use with a 20lb propane tank (you'll need the regulator on that hose--that regulator is already built-in to your A/S).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewTheDew View Post
On a side note; glad to see you are just about ready to hit the road in that new AS and TV! :-) I have been following that thread.
Thanks! The A/S has about 2000 miles on it now and 12 nights and things are going well. Everything got a good shaking down and in addition to a few minor fixes, I'm having them change some things to make travel easier and more enjoyable. Germane to this thread--no idea why A/S puts the propane quick-connect on the street side of the trailer. In zero instances did I want to grill on that side (everyone's at the picnic table, not over by the dump valves...) and it's a waste of 4' of hose to run it to the patio side! So that's one thing I'm having moved.
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote