Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2016, 06:44 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Victoria , British Columbia
Thanks Gene. After doing all the reading possible, I want to go with a Blue Ox for now. It seems to be the easiest to adjust when the trailer weights and tongue weights change dramatically. Given that we travel pretty light, I wonder whether I should get 800lb bars rather than the 1,000lb bars that the dealership is suggesting. It seems that over specifying the bars is hard on the AS.

The other thing that I cannot get a grip upon is how well weight distributing hitches work. The data on the forum suggests that people are putting about 15% of their tongue weight back on to the trailer with a WDH based on their actual numbers from the CAT scales.

The Airstream Owner's Manual suggests that about 1/3 of the tongue weight gets transferred back to the trailer when using a WDH.
Hullap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:17 PM   #42
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Good hitch choice. I think it is the best out there if you are not flush enough to go with a force projection hitch. BO says to match or exceed your tongue weight. The dry hitch weight is 837 lbs. You are adding an 80 lb hitch and have reduced the battery weight a bit. So, the 800 lb bars may be marginal if you add fresh water to the tank and a bit of gear to the storage area under the beds. My understanding is that many of the new trucks only have to return the front axle to the unloaded weight. That is not a lot of weight transfer, and given the slower speeds of local travel, the lighter bars might be worth a try. You could always go heavier if you were not happy with the outcome. Unfortunately the lighter bars are 750 lbs and not 800 lbs, so you may be locked in to the 1000 lb solution. Some careful weight estimation and figuring is in your future.

Good Luck. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:03 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
It is quite amusing to me that the biggest push back that I am getting from the dealer is having the twin beds delivered to me flat when the trailer is level rather than a quarter of a bubble out towards the "inside" and having the bed bases the same size as the mattresses. It seems quite bizarre to me at this price point.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:31 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The modification charge at the factory would start at $200 plus the expense and would have to be done after the unit comes off the line at the Service Center.

We had the twin mattresses made to fit the platform drawing. They could have been four inches longer to fit from the bottom of the board all the way into the radius at the head (or rear on our Classic). For really tall folks, the mattress could extend another ten inches at the bottom of the bed to the wall.

We ordered the 8" Rocky Mountain mattress thickness like we had in our 2013 25FB International Serenity but will re-order next time the 10" mattress thickness from Rocky Mountain as we really like the 10" we put in the 23D.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:06 PM   #45
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullap View Post
It is quite amusing to me that the biggest push back that I am getting from the dealer is having the twin beds delivered to me flat when the trailer is level rather than a quarter of a bubble out towards the "inside" and having the bed bases the same size as the mattresses. It seems quite bizarre to me at this price point.
Airstream does not like to make modifications and thus charges as much as they can for them.

So far as bar weight goes, Equalizer's manufacturer says you only use what you need, so you could use 5,000 lb. bars (theoretically) if you wanted. They claim bar weight does not affect ride. I really don't understand that, but that's what they told me years ago. I see an Equalizer on Amazon is $500 with free shipping. I think they are 1,000 lb. bars. I believe Blue Ox makes very heavy duty equipment, but otherwise I know nothing about them. If someone chooses to use lighter (or heavier) bars and wants to change them, different sizes may not fit the hitch head, so check that out before you buy any brand. Some hitches do not want you to back up while they are installed, check that out too. And check things out anywhere but the dealer—salesmen or mechanics may not know what they are talking about.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:25 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
That is why I am asking so many questions here ....
Old 07-25-2016, 03:05 PM   #47
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
BOSP backs well. The bars all fit the head.

Our head was fitted with 1000s. We specifically wanted 750s. They pulled the 1000s and installed the 750s.

The way you know the bar rating is to look for the depressed dots on the round section of the bar.

350lb Bar = No Dots
550lb Bar = (1) Dot
750lb Bar = (2) Dots
1000lb Bar = (3) Dots
1500lb Bar = (4) Dots
2000lb Bar = (5) Dots

Good luck with your rig setup. Pat
Old 07-27-2016, 07:05 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
It seems that I will be AS vehicle number 537105. If the scale actually started at 1 and has been completely incremental since then with no gaps, I am even more impressed and honoured to be part of this community than I was before.

I know that there are traditional rules for choosing the names of cars, trucks, boats, trailers, planes etc in the AS world and beyond. The old rules are that "girl's" names have to be used. In my family, there is a long tradition of using "boy's" names in the last 3 generations.

I am thinking of using Frank for the trailer, Lloyd for the towing vehicle and hoping that they both have the "Wright" stuff when my wife and I get settled in as a team with both vehicles in a nod to mid Century American design which I love and is the main reason that I am going to spend a silly amount of money on an AS vs a.n.other brand.

Has anyone made this choice before? I don't want to step on anyone's toes and can look at alternative names if my spontaneous and unresearched choice has been used before.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:42 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Huntington Beach , California
Congrats, and wise choice. We went around in circles shopping for over a year before pulling the trigger on the 25FB. We started out wanting the 20, which is probably one of the best small floor plans, but didnt want to outgrow it after we start a family. The 23D/FB was a toss up for a while, but in the end it didnt make any sense to not go for the 25FB if you are considering a 23.. so much better in every way. The sideways bed hasnt been a big deal. 27FB crosses my mind, but I enjoy being able to just fit the 25 at my home pad, and fit into smaller spaces when camping. I am 6'4, and that was a major reason for going 25. Second was the openness and amount of windows and natural light, 3rd being the rear dinette facing your views (most of the time).

You made the right choice.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:51 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Among our interests while touring with our Airstream is mid-century modern architecture, especially work of the master. Here's one we visited in Florence, AL just off Natchez Trace, another American icon. Airstream travel is terrific in many ways.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5918.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	477.0 KB
ID:	267843  

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:08 PM   #51
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Frank and Loyd ..... should work well. The Wright is kind of icing on the cake.

Travel safe. Pat
Old 08-02-2016, 09:38 AM   #52
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
FLW influenced American architecture from the late 1890's through a very long life. We look for his buildings when we travel—Guggenheim Museum in NYC, Falling Water, house in Springfield, Ill. (can't remember name), Taliesen West. Our latest travel thought for this year is part of the river road and if we do, maybe we won't be too far from Taliesen East.

Though he was great designer, his architecture skills were lacking and his buildings eventually need a lot of work—hope your Airstream and TV do better. He does remind me in one way of Wally Byam—both incessant promoters who sold their product very well, though Wally's product fared better as to reliability when Wally was alive.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 03:44 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Just to bring some closure to this thread :

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...re-157835.html