Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2017, 03:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
brooklyn , New York
Stove/Range Fan Intermittently Stops Working

Hello,

I have a new (2018) 30 foot Flying Cloud bunk.

We've experienced about a dozen or so times the fan for the stove just stops working. This is when plugged in to otherwise properly working shore power (50a).

Generally it just stops. Next time we want to use it it works fine. We don't notice any other electrical problems.

Nothing on our fuse panel trips. I've read about other fuses in the hood itself, however since it works later I'm not sure this is the problem either.

It has occurred in a range of temperatures and humidity, however I'm not sure either of those would be impacting this?

Thanks in advance for any troubleshooting help.

Best,
Joe
megadice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:12 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
2021 30RB Classic
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Texas
Is your exhaust flap on the outside of your AS unlocked? Excessive static pressure on EC motors may overheat them to the point where they will shut themselves down.
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:12 AM   #3
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi Joe,

We're sorry to learn about your Stove/Range fan issues you described in your 2018 30' Flying Cloud. Please call our customer service and technical support team at*1 (877) 596-6111, option 2 so we can learn more and help.

Thanks.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:39 AM   #4

MidLAND , Michigan
Lock on Range hood outlet

I had the same issue.
2018 Globetrotter.

Range hood vents to the side of the camper.

There are 2 little plastic clips that lock the exhaust flap.
HNijkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:11 PM   #5
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
The fan has a thermostat that shuts down the fan due to heat. Happens especially when all three burners are on. Works again after it cools. Obviously exacerbated if the locking tabs on the flap outside the trailer are not unlocked so the flap can open, as mentioned in earlier comments.

Some have elected to have the thermostat switch bypassed.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
This is an old thread. And maybe this issue has been dealt with before.

I had same problem today when the vent fan on the exhaust hood quit working. Wife had 3 burners going on the stove making breakfast. First time this happened. Later the fan went on.

1). Is this a common problem with these fans?
2). If this isn’t common is it a heat sensor issue?
3). If heat sensor issue how does one replace it?
4). If not a heat sensor issue what are some steps to prevent it from happening? (Besides cooking outside).

The outside vent flap was open by the way.

One would thing that this would be taken into consideration when developing the vent?
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
There is an excessive heat sensor that is supposed to cut off the fan to prevent spread of a fire. It sounds like the sensor temperature is set a bit low, but typically they are made at a fixed temperature. If you can find it, check the part number and replace it with one that opens at a slightly higher temperature. Typically looks like a tiny black ‘hockey puck’ with a couple wires connected to it and a metal base that is screwed down somewhere in the path of the air going through the vent.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:19 PM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Keep open...👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1bca.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	349259  
Old 08-13-2019, 01:15 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Stove/Range Fan Intermittently Stops Working

I’d bet blocking it open fully might increase air flow and reduce the heat on the sensor.

Bob, I’m a just tiny touch disappointed.

Aren’t we supposed to use duct tape or baling wire for stuff like that?

If course if my DW was involved, there’d be a precisely broken piece of a bamboo chopstick wedged in there neatly instead.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:29 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Thank you all for posting this info.

We experienced this on our recent trip, also while cooking breakfast with all 3 burners being used.

Glad to hear its a no big deal thing, and we will try clipping open the outside flap if we continue to have this problem.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:36 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Mine Is Running, but low power and fluctuating

One burner on tonight. Mine just started acting up again (This is my second motor in it.) I'm in the club with you others - 2017 - This time it's running slowly and speeding up and slowing down - power fluctuation. Outside hatch open, yes. Plugged into reliable 50 amp service, everything else running fine. Battery voltage holding steady. What the heck?
memph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:12 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Santa Fe , New Mexico
What the heck?

Next morning....it runs fine. What the heck?
Old 09-10-2019, 08:27 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
AS has violated the minimum distance that the fan height should be from the burners by about 6-8 inches depending. That is a factor as to why it is shutting off. The other is that in this case, there is no "stack" to catch on fire, so the safety aspect of shutting it down really only makes sense to protect the motor bearings of the fan. But either way, it is a problem that surely needs to be corrected.

My understanding (which I didn't have time for when I was at JC) is that AS just removes the sensor completely and it runs like any other fan would.

Worse case, over time, the motor eats itself.......cheap to replace and easy to install as it is just under the metal screen/grease guard.

It freaked us out too when it happened and just did it again (shut off) last weekend....I will be removing the temperature sensor in mine soon. Will update with pictures when I do.

Greetz
Chris
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:58 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
As stated in this thread the vent over the stove has a tendency to shut down the fan when 3 burners on. I went outside and the flap was totally open. Clearly it is the thermostat since after it cools it works again.

Called Airstream and there is really no fix for it (such as a different thermostat). But that's what they said. The other option is simply not have a thermostat. Not sure I'm completely comfortable with that either.
1) Has anyone disconnected it? What does it entail?
2) Has anyone put in a different thermostat rated for higher temperatures?

Frankly it is a real pain when it quits. Moisture builds up inside. Also the smoke alarms go off. In the past we just opened the ceiling fan, but when it is raining out that doesn't work.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:59 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

West Palm Beach , Florida
Bumping this thread for suggestions on a fix or a workaround. We cooked using only ONE burner for the first tome yesterday, after maybe 5 minutes the fan shut off and wouldn’t turn back on for a couple hours. And the vent was open...

Has anyone removed or disconnected the thermostat? I’m okay with doing so. I’d rather burn out the motor and replace it as needed than deal with the routine clean up of moisture on the aluminum interior while cooking.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
As stated in this thread the vent over the stove has a tendency to shut down the fan when 3 burners on. I went outside and the flap was totally open. Clearly it is the thermostat since after it cools it works again.

Called Airstream and there is really no fix for it (such as a different thermostat). But that's what they said. The other option is simply not have a thermostat. Not sure I'm completely comfortable with that either.
1) Has anyone disconnected it? What does it entail?
2) Has anyone put in a different thermostat rated for higher temperatures?

Frankly it is a real pain when it quits. Moisture builds up inside. Also the smoke alarms go off. In the past we just opened the ceiling fan, but when it is raining out that doesn't work.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
I made the change to mine to solve this.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...ms-140495.html

Starts at post 50.... let me know if that can help you.

Chris
Old 02-03-2020, 05:53 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Update on this thread. I ended up getting my range hood replaced (Airstream did it under warrantee even though I was past warrantee because I had trouble with the hood since soon after purchase). They put a new model of hood in and it works great. Those 2015-2017 era hoods are just simply defective.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:51 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Update on this thread. I ended up getting my range hood replaced (Airstream did it under warrantee even though I was past warrantee because I had trouble with the hood since soon after purchase). They put a new model of hood in and it works great. Those 2015-2017 era hoods are just simply defective.
What are the details of the hood? Make/Model? Got a pic?
Old 02-04-2020, 07:07 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Range Hood Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
What are the details of the hood? Make/Model? Got a pic?
The replacement is the one that comes in the newer Airstreams. It's the same manufacturer - Baraldi - as the previous one from 2017, just newer model. Sorry, don't have model number info, but here's a photo. ... Actually, opened it up and here's some info in an attached photo for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rangehood-1.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	360520   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rangehood-2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	333.2 KB
ID:	360521  

Old 02-04-2020, 08:38 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

West Palm Beach , Florida
I’ll have to check mine out. We have a 2020 Airstream and still have issues with the fan turning off. My current workaround has been to tape the outside vent door open while in use and only use the front burner. So far so good doing that. But if we try to use one of the back burners, even one at a time, it cuts out after 5 minutes.
Jasper Ash is offline   Reply With Quote