Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 07:59 AM   #181
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
  • Properly inflated tires to meet the load - not sidewall maximum.
  • A tow vehicle with better suspension - an SUV instead of Super Duty Trucks
  • A professionally installed and tuned hitch and WD system
<sigh>

"Your cabinet fell off because you worried about interply sheer."
"Your door fell off because you didn't use an F-250 diesel."
"Your toilet leaked because you didn't buy a PP hitch, you cheapskate!"
Old 07-16-2018, 09:46 AM   #182
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Senior Management Failures at AS

I go all over and off road here in Colorado. Lots of washboard roads rocks etc. we have many scratches and such in the AS due to tight squeezes.

The AS was not made for this type of travel. I know that. So I have been slowly modifying it to be off road worthy. Nearly every trip I lose a rivet or two. Screws come loose, cabinet latches come undone or lose fasteners. it’s a game the kids play, “who can find the most hardware and parts on the floor”.

Slowly the AS getting tough and we have fewer and fewer of these issues. I check often, every trip for secure cabinets etc.

I have no problem with this. As I am using the vehicle outside of guidelines and will make her perfect over time.

I do understand quality. I’m in the business. And when things happen on a normal road like I read in these forums, that is a sign of lack of quality.

It’s a mind set, process, and culture. You can’t will it, you can’t force it, you have to live it.

My question would be what is top management doing to drive a quality mindset and culture across the company?

It’s hard, takes years, and financial commitment. But once you have it, and maintain it, it is a huge differentiator and customers know it.

I hope they are building their culture around quality and in it for the long run.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:49 AM   #183
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Maybe they should try a cabinet maker. 😏
Then we'd only have to worry about the entire cabinet falling off the wall. 😂

Bob
🇺🇸
I have a basic Flying Cloud but have always been really impressed with the quality of their cabinetry.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:14 PM   #184
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Improvement...

One change I made to my 2015 30RB Serenity was to go with 16" wheels/tires. Using tire pressures specified by Firestone for the Transforce tires, I ran 54 psi. This softens the shock to the trailer for each bump and I believe may have reduced the issues associated with the multiple earthquake phenomenon.

I had only one rivet pop in about 25,000 miles. Much less than on my 2009 27FB International.

I suppose the quality question is, why AS does not offer the 16" wheels as an option rather than ask the owners to make the change.... ???
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 07-22-2018, 12:33 PM   #185
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
One change I made to my 2015 30RB Serenity was to go with 16" wheels/tires. Using tire pressures specified by Firestone for the Transforce tires, I ran 54 psi. This softens the shock to the trailer for each bump and I believe may have reduced the issues associated with the multiple earthquake phenomenon.

I had only one rivet pop in about 25,000 miles. Much less than on my 2009 27FB International.

I suppose the quality question is, why AS does not offer the 16" wheels as an option rather than ask the owners to make the change.... ???
Why an option vs standard equipment? Aside from the advantage of more tire selection at 16" especially now if your running LT rated tires like Michelins, which come standard on upscale AS's? Would adding a $1,000 to AS price be a big deal for this change? I have had no complaints with my 15" wheels on last 3 AS's although I can no longer get Michelins LT rated series in 15". But the GYE's seem to be working fine from what I read, so I just switched from GYM's to GY Endurance model. Ride seems fine, and no complaints yet. Still, I did find the 15" Michelin LT rated tires which I had on my earlier AS's to be very nice ride also.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 07-22-2018, 03:18 PM   #186
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
I have a basic Flying Cloud but have always been really impressed with the quality of their cabinetry.
The cabinets are nice in our Classic also...heavy & nice.
The problem arises when they attempt to attach them. 😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 07-22-2018, 04:16 PM   #187
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
A lot has happened since I last looked.

Thanks for connecting, COO Justin. If I still owned an Airstream, I’d volunteer, but I’m not sure you’d want to hear from an ex-owner. Anyway, you can see what I said just before your post. Thor’s business model is to produce a large of mediocre RV’s and charge as much as possible for them. To change this culture, you will have lots of enemies—watch your back. If I were going to bet on your tenure, I think you’ll be out in 12-18 months as the old guard organizes to oust you.

This is a survey of two trailers—not scientific of course. Our Airstream had numerous leaks from just about every window, several places on the roof and from a seam just back of the door. This went on for several years until I sealed everything except the A/C. Then it didn’t leak even though I am not a “professional” RV mechanic, but an aging old man. We have a Nash now, not even Northwood’s premium line, for a year and there have been no (zero!) leaks. The much vaunted shower at the plant is a total failure. Leaks don’t always show up on 10 or 15 minutes of showering. Good sealing solves the problem. Maybe instead of hiring from the local labor pool, you should hire 70 year old retired lawyers to seal them. I will do it for $300/hour plus expenses even though I am now well past 70 and my skills may be diminished (otherwise I would charge $500/hour). Justin, PM me for more, some of it sensible.

Is “Shoe” still there? I think he can be helpful with learning company history. I worked with him for several years over lots and lots of problems with our then new Airstream. He was very helpful. He used to follow the forum and occassionally posted, both anonymously and with his own name.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:22 PM   #188
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Liberty Corner , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Why an option vs standard equipment? Aside from the advantage of more tire selection at 16" especially now if your running LT rated tires like Michelins, which come standard on upscale AS's? Would adding a $1,000 to AS price be a big deal for this change? I have had no complaints with my 15" wheels on last 3 AS's although I can no longer get Michelins LT rated series in 15". But the GYE's seem to be working fine from what I read, so I just switched from GYM's to GY Endurance model. Ride seems fine, and no complaints yet. Still, I did find the 15" Michelin LT rated tires which I had on my earlier AS's to be very nice ride also.
I would like to see a bigger modification to bring the trailer into the recent past. Change the axles, spacing and wheel wells to allow for even larger tires. How big? Actually go and talk to the tire manufacturers to find out what they would recommend. It might turn out that AS is grossly undersized for this century's roads and travel style.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:50 PM   #189
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1993 25' Excella
Flagler Beach , Florida
nobody ??????? s ROBERT.........
Old 07-23-2018, 10:15 AM   #190
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFTER TAXES View Post
nobody ??????? s ROBERT.........
???? I’m very sorry, I didn’t realize we were arguing. I just assumed you didn’t know.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 07-23-2018, 10:24 AM   #191
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Chicago/DC , IL/VA
I'd appreciate if we kept this thread on-message. After having serious doubts about moving forward with our plans to pursue an Airstream, it spoke volumes that the COO was open to feedback from the community.

I'm well aware that there is a long way to go and I'll likely wait to see what the new facility can bring to work flow efficiencies if we don't buy used before I'd buy new.

I'd like to see this thread positive and engaged with customers and the manufacturers who are talking about what CAN be done alongside all the feedback about what isn't being done. That is forward momentum.

What creates noise are side comments with no constructive relevance to the original intent of the author, which was... bring AS to the table and be heard.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:35 AM   #192
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip7 View Post
. . .
. . . it spoke volumes that the COO was open to feedback from the community.
. . .
In terms of Airstream "listening" etc., here is the last post from Justin Humphreys on June 19, 2018 in Post #99:

[click on orange arrow in quote to see the full post in that part of this thread]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhumphreys View Post
. . .
My name is Justin Humphreys and I am the COO- here at Airstream.
. . .
This was his only post in all of 2018. Click on his user name, and then choose Find More Posts in the drop down menu, to see all his earlier posts, a grand total of SIX posts since 10/31/14.

It might be more appropriate -- IMO -- to call a total of 6 posts, in almost 4 years, more like an illusion of being open to feedback.

FWIW
Old 07-23-2018, 11:55 AM   #193
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
snip...
It might be more appropriate -- IMO -- to call a total of 6 posts, in almost 4 years, more like an illusion of being open to feedback.

FWIW
^
Right on👍

A smoke & mirror illusion...Just bring back the "Town Hall Thread"

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 07-23-2018, 01:04 PM   #194
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Zionsville , Indiana
Thumbs up Put me on the list!

Quote:
Good evening Airstreamers-

My name is Justin Humphreys and I am the COO- here at Airstream...

A quick question for the group, I am considering the idea of forming a customer quality council where we can share ideas and listen to suggestions from our customers... Does that sound like a good idea to this group?

Happy Airstreaming-

Justin Humphreys
COO- Airstream, Inc.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Justin:

This is a great idea and should have been done years ago. I am a professional engineer (30 years) who works in consulting (more business and technology than true engineering) to help clients solve problems, develop strategies, and mitigate risks. I help people make better decisions (for a living). Customer councils are treasure troves of ideas to significantly improve your business model, your product, and how you deliver services.

I am an Airstream owner - a 2017 FC 26U. I have been to Jackson Center several times for the factory tour and for warranty repairs to our unit. I was born and raised in rural Ohio and love the small town atmosphere of Jackson Center and the surrounding area.

Airstream is viewed as a premium brand in the RV industry and perception is you have struggled in recent years to truly build and deliver to that level of expectation. Your engineering, manufacturing, and QA/QC processes each need some tuning based on my observations and experiences.

Please put me on the list to serve on any such committee you may form - PM me if required.

Best regards and good luck!

D. R. Preece
Old 07-23-2018, 01:08 PM   #195
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Oh...there's a list. You have to be invited. Interesting. 🤓

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 07-24-2018, 05:06 PM   #196
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Chicago/DC , IL/VA
Quote:

A quick question for the group, I am considering the idea of forming a customer quality council where we can share ideas and listen to suggestions from our customers. Haven’t worked out the logistics but I am thinking about on conference call once a quarter and potentially an annual meeting in person in Jackson Center once per year. We would be looking for a blend of Airstream veterans and newbies who have some technical expertise and experiences that may help us build a better product. Does that sound like a good idea to this group? Just a thought at this point, but wanted to throw it out there for feedback. We get customer feedback in a variety of ways, but this would be a more formal approach worth considering.

ROBERT CROSS and OTRA15, what are your personal thoughts on this particular paragraph? As he asks, "Does that sound like a good idea for this group?" Would you consider yourself a veteran who would provide value to such a customer quality council?
Old 07-24-2018, 06:02 PM   #197
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Personally, I have better things to do than to get suckered down into that rabbit's hole.

End of discussion.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:50 PM   #198
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Well...it took us 40+years to retire, all the bugs have been exterminated in 'Cloudsplitter' and we are just hitting our stride...so no thank you. 👍😂

It's not rocket science, if AS can't figure it out on their own they shouldn't be building anything.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 07-24-2018, 06:58 PM   #199
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Chicago/DC , IL/VA
Pity. You both are very prolific and genuinely pitch in to help on tons of issues. You're very active and immersed in the community giving you a wide breadth of exposure to many topics. I think you guys would provide tremendous insight to something like this.

If you're not the vets he's looking for then who would you sacrifice as tribute in your stead?
Old 07-24-2018, 07:13 PM   #200
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
I guess Mr. Justin H, the COO must be on an extended vacation. I note his post was very timely in immediately changing the direction of a very intense thread on Airstream Quality issues. Thread now changed to strong volunteer enthusiasm. But the original thread had value.

My FC 25FBT has so far worked very nicely in my first year of ownership. I am quite Happy with my Airstream. However, I was using the thread to highlight future Airstream problems I could maybe expect to see and make appropriate plans for repairs if needed.
Closed Thread

Tags
issue