Old 02-24-2019, 08:54 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Suwanee , Georgia
Scare light bezel

As most would agree, the LED scare light on Airstreams is pretty useless except to annoy campground neighbors or help find the trailer after a late night visit to the bath house.

On the other hand I struggle with enough light to use my grill under the canopy in the evening after dark. Even string lights along the canopy and a lantern next to the grill don't help much.

What I'd like to do is direct that scare light illumination downward. I've researched these forums and found some good ideas utilizing dog food bowls with one side dremeled out (thanks RLS), marine clamshell vents such as https://www.westmarine.com/buy/seafi...07?recordNum=2
and louvers made for venting the eves of your house.

I have yet to find a clamshell vent or dogfood bowl that will fit over the existing light and it's bezel, not to mentions questions of how to mount my light deflector without drilling holes into the side of the trailer.

It seems the best course of action would be to remove the existing bezel, to allow use of a smaller bowl or vent, and to allow use of the existing light mounting holes. The problem is getting the darn bezel off. Anyone know of any tricks? Earlier Airsteams have visible screws, on the later ones like mine the bezel covers the mounting screws.

I've pried with my bone tool but I'm afraid if I persist I'll dent the trailer or damage the light. How is the bezel held on? Is it little teeth on the inner diameter that grab the sides of the plastic lens? Or does the base somehow bayonet onto the screws that mount the light to the trailer skin? I hate to have to buy a new assembly to proceed, but it's looking that way. Any ideas? Thanks!

TV: 2017 Ford F250 Lariat w/ Blue Ox Sway Pro
AIRForums #126944 WBCCI #1297
Baby Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
There was half a tube of caulking holding mine in place on our Excella and with the wires embedded in this glob.
Do not remove this unless you want a headache.

how about a headlamp for outdoor work?

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
I like the headlamps, but so do the bugs. It's a landing light for every bug in Florida .

I just got a couple of cheap clamp work lights from Lowes. I put one on the AS awning rafter and another under the first up popup. The light shines down on our stuff and not into the neighbors' windows. They are connected to an extension cord with a switch.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:51 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Thornton , Colorado
Scare light bezel

We beat the locomotive headlamp effect by going to an auto parts store and procuring automotive taillight and parking light repair plastic. Its flat, self-adhesive, durable, and reasonably thick (easy to cut and handle).
So I measured the diameter of the lamp face, cut the repair plastic (we chose amber) to the same size disc, peeled off the backing and stuck it on. After trying it the first night, I added a second disc on top, for two layers. The two dimmed the light so it was no longer blasting out your eyes, and the amber color acts as a bug light.

Another option weve successfully tried is to have a reverse-engraved disc made. We used clear double-sided tape to mount it (over a disc of red lens repair plastic. The engraver personalized it with the name of our rig.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0131.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	243.0 KB
ID:	334570
Silverpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:25 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
[QUOTE
Another option weve successfully tried is to have a reverse-engraved disc made. We used clear double-sided tape to mount it (over a disc of red lens repair plastic. The engraver personalized it with the name of our rig.Attachment 334570[/QUOTE]

Could you expand on your method mentioned above? Did you have the disc made at a vinyl design shop? Neat idea! Thanks.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
I replaced my scare light with a blue tooth speaker and light combo. There will be an article in the next Trailer Life on my install. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0476.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	334585

I chose America
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 07:13 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Forest Grove , Oregon
Hey, your trailer has rabies!! There is foamy white stuff on its seams?
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:13 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Thornton , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBigfoot View Post
[QUOTE

Another option weve successfully tried is to have a reverse-engraved disc made. We used clear double-sided tape to mount it (over a disc of red lens repair plastic. The engraver personalized it with the name of our rig.Attachment 334570

Could you expand on your method mentioned above? Did you have the disc made at a vinyl design shop? Neat idea! Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Its not cut-out vinyl, but thats also a good idea.

Ours is plastic engraving laminate. Its about 1/16 thick and is designed to be rotary engraved from the back side. The top layer is clear, so the engraving cutter actually milled away the colored layer on the backside, forming the letters. The result is a smooth outer surface. The engraver then cut the whole thing out as a disc shape. The result is a very smooth, beveled outer edge. Yes, an engraving shop made it.

Then I bought some heavy duty double-sided clear tape from Big Orange, covered the back of the disc, and stuck it on.

Hope this answers all your questions. If not, fire away!
Silverpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 03:35 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Suwanee , Georgia
The OP is back.....
I've enjoyed some of the tangents my original question lead off to, but to bring things back to removing the bezel....

I got the sucker off. Used an automotive trim removal tool that provides lots of concentrated leverage, and a piece of plywood so the fulcrum point of that leverage doesn't dent the Airstream skin, popped off the bezel off.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Scare light bezel.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	334636

Photo shows the pry tool on the piece of plywood, along with the bezel upside down after removal, and two wooden spacers used to help work the bezel off. Also shown is a bowl to hopefully be made into my new light shield. May have to find one a tad larger, but I'll give this one a try first. Bezel is held on by three small tabs that fit into three dimples in the base of the light assembly, located just outside of the three screw positions. Easy to figure out once it's off, but a mystery until then.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:43 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Charlotte , North Carolina
Maybe I am the only one who doesn't know...but what the heck is a "scare light"?

I don't think that our Serenity has one...does it?
Al U. Minium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:56 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
The big light on the side of your trailer. The ON/OFF switch is just inside the door.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:22 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
The big light on the side of your trailer. The ON/OFF switch is just inside the door.
The one over the door? Scare light in that turn it on to scare the opossum off your steps?
Al U. Minium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:50 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Suwanee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al U. Minium View Post
The one over the door? Scare light in that turn it on to scare the opossum off your steps?
Not over the door, but more or less centered on the side of the trailer.

Some models have it, some don't. Airstream calls it 512532 Utility Light, LED, 4".

Here's a picture of one: http://odmrv.com/catalog/index.php?m...oducts_id=1386

It would make a great backup light if it were mounted at the rear of the trailer, 'cause it's so bright.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:27 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Here it is on mine:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream-curb scare light.jpg
Views:	56