Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2017, 06:49 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Clayton , Georgia
Saw ours being built!

Yesterday we visited Jackson Center and watched our Airstream being built.
Actually there is quite a bit more to the story....

We ordered our 28 foot Flying Cloud in August, and were told that it would be built mid December. Last week I filled out the "Contact Us" form on the Airstream website asking when it would be built and if we could take the company tour at that time.

Got a quick response that it would be out of production Dec 12-13, that we were welcome to take the normal tour then, but that there was no guarantee that we would see our trailer, as they make many at one time.

So late last week we scheduled a trip to Ohio for travel to Sidney, Ohio to spend Monday night there, be at Airstream Tuesday for the tour. It was about a ten hour drive for us, so we knew there was no way to make the 2pm daily tour w/o spending the night in a hotel the night before.

Got to Jackson Center Tuesday morning and first visited the WBCCI headquarters down the street from Airstream. The ladies there were very nice and we enjoyed the historic display of Wally Byam artifacts.

Got to the Airstream Service Center at about 10 am and told the nice young lady at the reception counter that we were there for the tour and that our unit was being built that week. Without any prompting she asked our name and the name of our dealer and said she'd see if she could find the VIN#. She got back to us a bit later with the last six of the VIN and said to give it to our tour guide at 2pm.

Spent a couple of hours in the gift shop and waiting room there, went out for lunch down the street, returned and waited for the tour.

Promptly at 2pm an older gentleman showed up, introduced himself, gave a brief talk about safety glasses, hearing protection, and the fact that we were not allowed to take any photos. He then asked if anyone in the tour was having a trailer built that week. We and one other couple said "yes". Two other couples were taking the tour to kill time while their trailers were being worked on, and had taken the tour before. As no one really needed the routine tour our guide went out or his way to find the two trailers being built for tour participants, while also showing us all the steps to Airstream production. That was really cool.

When our particular trailers were found he waived the "no picture" rule and said we could take all the pictures we wanted of our individual trailers. Ours was at one of the final stages when the interior is installed. The appliances, shower, and toilet were all in place, most of the work to the bedroom area had yet to be done. A nice guy was working at putting that together and we chatted with him. Like the others in the plant he was very nice and seemed genuinely pleased to be talking to the customer that would be owning the unit he was working on.

Overall it was a very nice experience and we were impressed that the employees went out of their way to find our trailer and make sure we got a chance to see it being worked on. The other couple who's trailer was under construction were also very happy. They live in Ohio only an hours drive away and said they'd be back today to see their unit as it progressed in construction. We were told that each trailer took about four days to be built, and the current production rate was about 90 units a week.

Rear of our trailer as seen from hallway. Bed and side cabinets will go in the unfinished looking area at the rear.

Dear Wife inspecting exterior of our Airstream.
Baby Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:56 PM   #2

1957 22' Custom
Lago Vista , Texas
Wow

Considering that it's taking me two years and hundreds of hours to do a Full Monty, I can't believe that they build one of these things in four days. That boggles my mind
DDickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:34 PM   #3
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Very interesting story. I always enjoy seeing things made, especially if it's being made for you.

And thanks for sharing and wishing you much enjoyment from your new AS!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:26 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Clayton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDickey View Post
Considering that it's taking me two years and hundreds of hours to do a Full Monty, I can't believe that they build one of these things in four days. That boggles my mind
Perhaps if you had 750 employees, and a profit motive, like Airstream does your project would move along faster.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
That and that is what the interior looked like the day (or two) before it was due out of production. That's crazy, considering it's all manual labor.

It would be awesome to see your own during the process though.

Congratulations, that must be so exciting for you.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
That would be so cool to see you very own trailer being built!

The guys on the line would hate me though for being a nit picker. I would be very particular about how plumbing is ran and properly fastened down to prevent pump noise, how cabinets would be fastened, how the electrical wiring was ran and I would definitely want to be inside the trailer during the water test phase. I would go crazy with the caulking gun during that water test phase....
I would even volunteer 4 days of free labor to help build my own trailer
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
A true proudly made in America product! Enjoy that new trailer!
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:26 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Friday Harbor , Washington
Made in America

True. Mostly. Some parts assembly in Mexico. Global society. And that's commendable.
Rob Cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:39 AM   #9
Silvermine . . . And His

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Van Wert , Ohio
We are the other couple with the other trailer! You got Tom in the picture with DW. Our trailer should be released tomorrow morning and has a short drive to Haydocy in Columbus where Bruce will oversee its prep for us. Hope to pick up early next week! Hey — how was the bourbon trail? Hope to see you down the road!
Old 12-14-2017, 10:13 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Clayton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermine View Post
We are the other couple with the other trailer! You got Tom in the picture with DW. Our trailer should be released tomorrow morning and has a short drive to Haydocy in Columbus where Bruce will oversee its prep for us. Hope to pick up early next week! Hey — how was the bourbon trail? Hope to see you down the road!
Hi! What a small world! We spent part of Wednesday morning at Buffalo Trace taking their bourbon factory tour and tasting. Seemed a bit strange to be drinking bourbon at 10am before starting a seven hour drive home. But it was fun, and we did fine. I don't think we'll be getting our trailer as soon as you will, but that's fine. We're in no big hurry. Just want it in January for a planned trip to Florida.

Enjoy yours!
Old 12-14-2017, 11:10 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
I detoured ~200 miles to be able to take the factory tour a few years back. DEFINITELY worth the trip!
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:13 AM   #12
59' Globester

1959 18' "Footer"
1957 26' Overlander
Three Rivers , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
Hi! What a small world! We spent part of Wednesday morning at Buffalo Trace taking their bourbon factory tour and tasting. Seemed a bit strange to be drinking bourbon at 10am before starting a seven hour drive home. But it was fun, and we did fine. I don't think we'll be getting our trailer as soon as you will, but that's fine. We're in no big hurry. Just want it in January for a planned trip to Florida.

Enjoy yours!
I'm a fan of Buffalo Trace...had one last night...drink not bottle...LOL
twolanehwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:31 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
I have taken the tour many times over the years and have always heard it was 7 to 8 days to build one. Maybe the increased work force and floor space has reduced that a little in the last year or two, but those gains are somewhat offset by the increasing complexity of the trailers. I know there have been pending owners present to take the tour at least 6 days in a row to see their Airstream progress down the line.

In any case, much less than the 6+ years I have invested in the unfinished restoration of my 1962 Airstream.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:28 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Twin Falls , Idaho
Quote:
Exactly what I was thinking....whew, 4 days. That's got to be 24hr days. My full monty is also on the 2nd year. Looking forward to the maiden voyage, might even bust a champagne bottle on the tongue.

That's awesome you guys were able to see your shiny new rig being built.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Congratulations Eric and Silvermine on your new Airstream trailers. I took the tour some years ago and enjoyed it very much. We all can see all the human controlled tasks involved in building one of these things. One human error and a wire comes loose, or a plumbing comes loose and there is a defect claim. I was impressed how they train folks to do the riveting. Buck riveting takes a bit of practice to get it right, not too tight, not loose.

Here is a photo we took of some of the vintage Airstreams in the parking lot during our visit. Your new trailers are soooo much better than the oldies.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1210 Liner  (Mobile).JPG
Views:	135
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	300957  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:47 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Clayton , Georgia
Before going on the factory tour we spent quite a bit of time in the Wally Byam store looking at all the parts and accessories for sale there. One thing I'd wanted to buy was an Airstream license plate to put on the front of our tow vehicle.

Unfortunately all they had was an Airstream license plate frame, and a license plate that said "Riveted" on it, surrounded by little bumps that were meant to mimic rivets.

I thought I could improve on that. When we took the factory tour I picked up a piece of scrap aluminum off the floor. It was apparently cut out of a huge sheet of aluminum on the routing platform that makes the rivet holes and cuts out the holes for windows and access hatches that'll go on the side of the trailer. What I got was as long as a license plate, but narrower. I suspect it was cut out to create the stove vent on the trailer's side.

Anyway..... bought an Airstream bumper sticker in the Wally Byam store, and when I got home put the sticker on the scrap aluminum and used a smaller version of Airstream's buck rivets to attach it to the back of an old state license plate. Sprayed the whole thing with clear coat. I think it came out pretty well.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I think it came out very well! Nothing better than making your own creation.

You will hate to get bug splats all over it. I drove through a big "love bug" hatching in southeastern Texas and my license plate was not readable anymore. The front of the Airstream wasn't much better. What a mess.

David
Old 12-18-2017, 07:23 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Clayton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
I think it came out very well! Nothing better than making your own creation.

You will hate to get bug splats all over it. I drove through a big "love bug" hatching in southeastern Texas and my license plate was not readable anymore. The front of the Airstream wasn't much better. What a mess.

David
Oh, well, stuff happens. I'm glad I live in a state that doesn't require front plates, so have the freedom to be creative, even if it will be bug splattered.

Got a call this afternoon that the trailer we saw being built arrived at our dealership today, should be ready to pick up Thursday morning. Whoopie!
Old 12-18-2017, 08:15 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
When I visited there was a couple there that watched theirs roll off the line. They followed it the next morning down the road to the closest dealership to Jackson Center for delivery. The dealership cordinated their day at the factory and on for prep and pickup.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Eric: That was fast. Taking delivery of your new Airstream will begin whole new experiences. Enjoy it.

David