Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2018, 08:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
lafayette , Colorado
Angry Repeated Water Heater Failures on 2018 FC 23FB

Has anyone had problems with their Water Heater on any of the more recent models? We purchased a new 2018 23 FB in March and to this date we still do not have a functioning water heater, at least not on propane. The circuit board has been replaced 2 times and once again it failed again so it looks like I am headed back for a 3rd replacement. It will work fine for a few hours or perhaps a day but then the light comes on and it won't light. It is getting more than a bit frustrating.

I really do wonder about their quality program. For the first thousand miles or so I keep finding screws that fell out, doors the fall off, just lots of really little things that really take the fun out of owning an Airstream. Not what I expected when we chose to spend the extra $$$ over every other brand we looked at. The small things I can deal with but I am getting tired of cold showers. Would love any ideas. My dealer, Windish RV in Denver, really has clue and I have reached out to Airstream directly but no response. Frustrating!
cmonnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Take a look at this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f295...er-179320.html.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:54 PM   #3
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi cmonnette,

We're very sorry to learn about the issues with your 2018 Flying Cloud. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com

Thank you.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:12 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
lafayette , Colorado
Thank you. I just talked to Mike in customer support and they are apparently sending a complete replacement water heater to my dealer. Hopefully that solves the problem.
cmonnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi cmonnette,

We're very sorry to learn about the issues with your 2018 Flying Cloud. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com

Thank you.
I am happy when I see AS post these things
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
IMHO, Do as i did after three failures

bite the bullet and order this board. it is easy for anyone to installhttp://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/UIB-64.html

dealing with Atwood is a pain. it took two month of email and phone just for them to agree to pay for the parts&work during the 1st replacement.

it not worth my time anymore to get money back from atwood
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 03:49 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I went through the same issue with my 2017 International, as have many. After 3 boards I replaced it with a Dinosaur circuit board. Works perfectly and is a snap to install. Replacing the entire unit ( having to take it to a dealer) is way too much effort for the problem (if it’s the same issue most of us have dealt with). It might be worth a try with the Dinosaur board first. IMHO.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:35 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Kennesaw , Georgia
We have this identical issue. Water heater won't work on electric or gas. It's quite difficult for us to get our new 2018 AS to the dealer too. They are backed up for weeks. So, I went out and purchased a new OEM control board. Unfortunately, it did not correct the problem and that dealer will not take the board back. So, that was $200 out the window. Sucked it up and dropped the AS off at the AS dealer to deal with it. So, it will be gone for weeks during the prime camping season. Really disappointing.

Regarding the Dinosaur board, I remember someone saying a jumper wire on the board would need to be cut? Any insight on that?

Thanks all.
wsrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:13 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Perry , Georgia
We have a 2016 28 International.
first few trips out had problems with water heater.
Finally, it blew out the DC fuses when hooked to shore power.
Circuit board was replaced. then it would not stay on. Got hot and shut off.
Two trips to service later, found out that when circuit board was replaced, the sensors were not placed back up against tank so the temp could be monitored. Moved the sensor back in place and all is good.
J-K Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:27 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
no the dinasoar is a very simple and easy swap

you wont regret it
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:53 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
I have a different problem with the water heater in my 2017 International. It runs fine on propane (thank goodness). But the first time I used it on 120 VAC, it came to a full rolling boil--scary!--and since then it doesn't work on AC at all. I haven't yet gotten back to a dealer to have it replaced.
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Repeated Water Heater Failures on 2018 FC 23FB

That sounds like the 120 volt thermostat or relay was stuck, then it popped the over temperature safety. Not a good thing!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:06 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1993 25' Excella
Flagler Beach , Florida
quality control again.........must be 15 people same proble
WOWWWWWWW
AFTER TAXES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:20 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFTER TAXES View Post
quality control again.........must be 15 people same proble
WOWWWWWWW
You are right, this problem seems to be widespread as entirely different people on FB groups complain of it too. If the same % of automobiles from a manufacturer had faults like this they'd issue a recall, but for AS it seems to be business as usual as long as they can cash our checks.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHouseDreams View Post
You are right, this problem seems to be widespread as entirely different people on FB groups complain of it too. If the same % of automobiles from a manufacturer had faults like this they'd issue a recall, but for AS it seems to be business as usual as long as they can cash our checks.
It appears to be quality control problems at the water heater factory. I suggest that factory should issue the recall.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:04 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
North Richland Hills , Texas
Cool

I agree, It's Atwood putting out faulty products. Airstream is just trying to use a supplier that used to be good. Yes, maybe Airstream needs to find a new supplier.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:27 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I have had nothing but problems with my water heater since I bought my Airstream new in 2016. I have had it in for repair several times and it takes weeks and weeks to get it back only to find out that it fails again shortly after. It, currently works on electric but not on propane. Very frustrating.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:54 AM   #18
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi wsrb,

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you have had. If there is anything that we can assist with, please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

Thank you.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:58 AM   #19
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi Paprika,

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you have had. If there is anything that we can assist with, please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

Thank you.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:23 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' International
Granger , Indiana
Thumbs up

On June 8, 2018 we picked up our 2019 International Serenity. Until reading this post, I thought I had checked out every system on it. Running the water heater on the gas side did not cross my mind.

Glad I did ..... it will not work. Same problem detailed in this thread. Reached out to Airstream, still waiting to hear back. Probably will be a while...

It is apparent the folks at Dometic do not run a test that actually "fires up" the heater on the gas side. Not done at the Airstream assembly plant either.

Now the fun part.... waiting weeks to have someone fix it. With a month long trip on the calendar, this time line is unacceptable. Ordered a new board from Amazon; I will have to deal with the AS warranty department at a later date. Wish me luck.

Thanks again for all the great information. It makes it clear what needs to be done dealing with this issue...

Make it a Great Day....
jimfike is offline   Reply With Quote