Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2018, 05:12 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
If Airstream has vendors whose products fail at a rate above normal, then they should implement a new level of testing air conditioners, water heaters, and so forth . . .

. . . for several hours if necessary before each trailer leaves the factory.

“If the QC system is broke, FIX IT !!!”

Catching defective units in JC would be much cheaper than all the nonsense now required for the owners of new units to have to fix their own, basically!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:16 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Kennesaw , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsrb View Post
We have this identical issue. Water heater won't work on electric or gas. It's quite difficult for us to get our new 2018 AS to the dealer too. They are backed up for weeks. So, I went out and purchased a new OEM control board. Unfortunately, it did not correct the problem and that dealer will not take the board back. So, that was $200 out the window. Sucked it up and dropped the AS off at the AS dealer to deal with it. So, it will be gone for weeks during the prime camping season. Really disappointing.

Regarding the Dinosaur board, I remember someone saying a jumper wire on the board would need to be cut? Any insight on that?

Thanks all.
To close the loop our dealer found our issue was a special uncommon fuse that was burnt. I pick the AS up on Friday and will find out exactly where that fuse is located.
wsrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:49 AM   #43
International Grey Nomad

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by djarrett View Post
BINGO!!

I wish more would realize this -

D
Not bingo at all. Airstream chooses the equipment that goes into their product, Airstream does the quality assurance of those products, you pay Airstream for a trailer - - so it is Airstream that must take responsibility when things go wrong, just as it happily accepts the praise when things go right. If it chooses to authorise particular dealers to act on its behalf, then Airstream is still responsible. They can delegate authority but can't abrogate responsibility
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:52 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsrb View Post
To close the loop our dealer found our issue was a special uncommon fuse that was burnt. I pick the AS up on Friday and will find out exactly where that fuse is located.
Are you talking about a "thermal cut-off" protective device near the water heater's burner and exhaust flue?

"thermal cut-off" results using the new search function above in the blue box:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ther...=airforums.com

https://www.amazon.com/Atwood-93866-.../dp/B0007XXTVC

Good luck,

Peter
Old 07-19-2018, 06:27 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Not bingo at all. Airstream chooses the equipment that goes into their product, Airstream does the quality assurance of those products, you pay Airstream for a trailer - - so it is Airstream that must take responsibility when things go wrong, just as it happily accepts the praise when things go right. If it chooses to authorise particular dealers to act on its behalf, then Airstream is still responsible. They can delegate authority but can't abrogate responsibility
BINGO !!!

Old 07-19-2018, 10:05 AM   #46
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
I had to take my Airstream back to the dealer before its very first camping trip. We were loading up in July (hot) 2017 and the Dometic air conditioner died. No way we were camping in July heat in Tennessee with no air. We were not happy. Took it to the dealer, it took 2 weeks to get the new Dometic in and installed. The dealer f'ed up the installation and had to re-do it. So, even before our first camping trip, we had the Airstream in the shop TWICE. We were REALLY not happy.

Now, a year later and with a little time to cool off, we realize that it was not Airstream's fault the Dometic died. They bought what is supposed to be a quality unit, but Dometic had a bad run of them, and it bit me. It also was not Airstream's fault that my dealer doesn't know his a** from a hole in the ground. I have a little under a year left on my 2 year warranty, and after that, that dealer's service department will never see me again. As a matter of fact, if I have anything that needs warranty work before the warranty runs out, I may contact Airstream and see if I can take it to another dealer in town who doesn't carry Airstreams.

(Now, we can talk about the door latch issue, but that has its own thread that I started, and I won't repeat it here. Again, the dealer's service department quality, or lack thereof, showed through on that one too. Door Latch Thread)
Hi Bobbo,

We're very sorry to learn about the issues you have had. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com

Thank you.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:09 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Brush Prairie , WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Have to disagree with this.

It serves no one for AS to permit that dealer to remain aligned with the brand. Cancel the franchise, even if owners have to drive further.

This. 100% agree. We have had ours in to the Vegas dealership twice and both times I brought it home with items that failed again shortly after or items that I had to re-do the repair. This on a new 2019 Airstream. I will drive to Arizona if I have to.
Knotflying is offline   Reply With Quote