Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2018, 08:00 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by garypilot55 View Post
Passing along this video.

https://youtu.be/YD1M1C85jjE

Thanks garypilot55 for the link. I had seen that video, well done. But the lock is a little big and does not look stock in my opinion.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:57 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
Adding locks to the battery box and rear bumper has been something I’ve been researching. Ideally, in adding these, I would adjust / replace other locks to a common key. These would include the water fill, outdoor shower and storage compartment. My research was yielding good results until I looked at the compartment door and the SouthCo latch/lock.

Can the SouthCo core be replaced or rejected?

Currently this is the current hurdle to clear.

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:56 AM   #23
RJJ
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 20' Flying Cloud
St Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

If you are talking about re-keying all the locks on the trailer to a common key it's not going to be cheap. First step would be adapting everything to a common lock body. Then you'd replace all the locks with the new ones. If they all need to be stainless steel, that adds a bit to the task.

Depending on where you live, it could be a lot cheaper than where some people live ... You will be paying the guy an hourly rate as he does all the research and gets all the parts. You are into the "couple hundred bucks" range pretty much anywhere. In the expensive part of town, you will be over a thousand dollars.

Bob
Bob, the stainless lock I used costs less than $10. No need to rekey the locks on the lockers/compartments, just change out the lock. When ordering the locks, request they be keyed the same... I got mine locally at Graingers and did the change out myself.
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:57 AM   #24
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJJ View Post
Bob, the stainless lock I used costs less than $10. No need to rekey the locks on the lockers/compartments, just change out the lock. When ordering the locks, request they be keyed the same... I got mine locally at Graingers and did the change out myself.
Hi

Changing out the compartments is simple. It's when you get to the weird small locks on the little doors that this all gets really nutty fast. The only solution I'm aware of is to take all the locks to the same small cylinder and adapt the big ones.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:38 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...v09zMubQ__oZOE

This is the compartment latch I was asking about replacing the core or rekeying. There has been some other past posts about this latch but can’t find a conclusion.

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:17 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Woodstock , Georgia
I bought these at Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 One for the rear trunk and one for the battery box up front. Both keyed alike. Simple install. Here is what the trunk looks like:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream trunk lock.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	317490  

2018 Airstream Flying Cloud 25FBQ w/Solar | Hensley Arrow
Tow Vehicle - 2004 Ford Excursion Limited PSD 4x4
Haulin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:40 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I wasn't as worried about the rear bumper storage as I was the battery box. Certainly much more invested in the batteries than the sewer stuff we put in the back. I went to a locksmith and had them tumble a cabinet door lock to matched the keys of the fresh water and outside shower covers. This made it much easier as there was one less key to worry about. Can't remember what the cost was, but it was minimal and certainly worth the peace of mind for the battery box.
abqdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:57 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesBoyle View Post
Thanks. Very detailed
Ouch!
I was referring to the video that was posted.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:08 AM   #29
RJJ
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 20' Flying Cloud
St Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Changing out the compartments is simple. It's when you get to the weird small locks on the little doors that this all gets really nutty fast. The only solution I'm aware of is to take all the locks to the same small cylinder and adapt the big ones.

Bob
All of my locks are cam locks... nothing really weird about them... just annoying. The entry door has weird locks, though. I'd might consider calling a lock smith for a tumbler/key ways change out... but I doubt it.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:15 AM   #30
RJJ
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 20' Flying Cloud
St Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haulin8or View Post
I bought these at Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 One for the rear trunk and one for the battery box up front. Both keyed alike. Simple install. Here is what the trunk looks like:
The lock I bought, I used on the battery box because of its exposed location. I liked that it is stainless, weatherized and has a closure over the key way to limit rain intrusion. When I change out the other compartment locks, I'll order the same one from Grainger keyed the same as the 1st one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009OYU90Y/?coliid=I2V6D9HTHTUCDU&colid=33IMPFXE14E8D&psc=0&r ef_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 07-20-2018, 08:33 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
When I had my dealer walk-through on my new AS in June, I asked him if everyone's AS storage locks were keyed differently from each other and he said no, only the main entrance door. Later, he clarified this by saying that all our keys will not fit each other's doors all the time - in other words, there are several variations of the keys and eventually you would be able to find another AS whose storage compartments could be accessed with your key. I would love the Jackson Center rep who monitors AirForums to provide the straight skinny on this. Many thanks.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:19 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Would be a fun group activity at a rally - let’s see who’s trailer everyone can access. Ouch.

Another good reason to rekey or replace...
Old 07-20-2018, 12:41 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBad View Post
Would be a fun group activity at a rally - let’s see who’s trailer everyone can access. Ouch.

Another good reason to rekey or replace...

I had the factory remove my emergency exit window and install an emergency exit door in its place. They said they couldn't re-key it to match the original door locks.

Oddly enough, the key to the original deadbolt works on the emergency exit door but the emergency exit door deadbolt key does not work on the original door.

I'm so cornfused! [emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:43 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Is theft by other Airstreamers a big problem?
Old 07-20-2018, 02:20 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
I would not think so, and am certainly did not mean to suggest that it is.

Just would be interesting to know just how many other people had keys that fit my AS.
UncleBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:40 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Let's have a key party to...no wait, that didn't sound right.....
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:06 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Just would be interesting to know just how many other people had keys that fit my AS.
All of them?
I know the maker of my former RV used the same key on every model for the bay doors.

I like the simple locks like the file cabinet locks, but is it a problem having them facing up to the rain?
Old 07-20-2018, 06:43 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I like the simple locks like the file cabinet locks, but is it a problem having them facing up to the rain?
See my former post (#3) on this thread where I mention my solution.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:32 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Japser , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJJ View Post
The lock I bought, I used on the battery box because of its exposed location. I liked that it is stainless, weatherized and has a closure over the key way to limit rain intrusion. When I change out the other compartment locks, I'll order the same one from Grainger keyed the same as the 1st one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009OYU90Y...E14E8D&psc=0&r ef_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I saw this on Amazon - Anti Dust and Waterproof Covers. Could use in addition to weatherized lock. Not sure if it would stay shut with the movement of the trailer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ARJB0OJ7553H5
Jasper, GA (North of Atlanta)
garypilot55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:47 AM   #40
RJJ
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 20' Flying Cloud
St Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
When I had my dealer walk-through on my new AS in June, I asked him if everyone's AS storage locks were keyed differently from each other and he said no, only the main entrance door. Later, he clarified this by saying that all our keys will not fit each other's doors all the time - in other words, there are several variations of the keys and eventually you would be able to find another AS whose storage compartments could be accessed with your key. I would love the Jackson Center rep who monitors AirForums to provide the straight skinny on this. Many thanks.
Hi, PatLee,

The "eventually find" thing is true of many keys including house keys, car keys, etc. A locksmith told me this many years ago. He also eased my shock, somewhat, by adding, though the # of variations is limited, a thief would have to have a key ring 2 feet wide, full of keys, and then maybe, just maybe they'd have time to try enough keys to randomly hit on an exact match to my house.