Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2018, 10:13 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Colorado Springs , CO
Question on 2018 26' Flying Cloud Rear bedroom twins

Hello,

Our 2014 25' FC was totaled in a recent hail storm and we're looking at at 2018 26' FC with rear twin beds. Am wondering if anyone out there has one. My wife and I are interested in knowing the pro's and con's of that model and size.

Thanks in advance!

Carlos
Losman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:05 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losman View Post
Hello,

Our 2014 25' FC was totaled in a recent hail storm and we're looking at at 2018 26' FC with rear twin beds. Am wondering if anyone out there has one. My wife and I are interested in knowing the pro's and con's of that model and size.

Thanks in advance!

Carlos
We have a '17 26 Twin. Love it for several reasons:
1. Prefer rear bedroom.
2. 26 has singular bathroom (with window).
3. 26 Twin allows for tons of outside storage (big one on front, big one on back, and a smaller one on each rear side. Love all the outside storage, never enough, right?
4. Front U converts to many configurations, but we usually just use one of the tables. Pretty comfy for watching TV and enjoying a meal or morning coffee. But for reclining or napping I just utilize my bed in rear (that where the view is anyway).
5. Rotating the front TV around to view through the door to watch outside is pretty cool. Great for the big game.
6. Shoe storage by door (some have, some don't).

Dislikes:
1. Not a huge fan of macerator-toilet. Works as designed and have had no problems, but still would have preferred standard foot-flush.
2. Heavy tongue, but not a big deal for us since have F250.

All in all the only other AS that I would have preferred would have been a Classic - but it's out for now for several reasons. Maybe one day...
Old 06-26-2018, 02:26 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
We love the versatility of the dinette. We have added other table tops and the options are many! Our two added table options can be seen at this thread (Basecamp table and a custome round table):

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f542...le-177881.html

Also love that two people can lounge nicely and watch TV. I'm 6'3" and leaning back into the lounge position my feet don't even hang off the seat!The twin beds open up the center rear floor nicely and provide more room per person per bed than a queen. Twins are less hassle to make up than a queen (for us anyway). As MWBishop mentioned bathroom is in one area rather than a split bathroom floor plan. Also as he mentioned it does have a heavy tongue but like him we also have an F250 so the tongue weight is a non issue for us. I'm ok with the macerator toilet but one word of caution, be sure to have an extra toilet relay on hand. Ours popped out of the connector and dropped into no-mans-land behind the cabinet and we were without a toilet for a weekend. Not a show stopper, though, as we were at a event (Urban Air - Logan, OH) with plenty of toilets around. On the plus side of the macerator...no "pyramiding" so no hassles there with dumping, storage, etc. And not only tons of outdoor storage but really tons inside, too. For even more room in the bathroom we pull the bedroom accordian door shut and open the bathroom door wedging it against a towel hanging from the upper hall kitchen cabinet so the bathroom door stays wedged open giving you tons of room to the bathroom. Great for drying off and/or dressing.
AlanMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 02:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWBishop View Post
Dislikes:
1. Not a huge fan of macerator-toilet. Works as designed and have had no problems, but still would have preferred standard foot-flush.
totally agree. In the 26 the black tank is not under the bathroom, it's on the other side of the axles, and the pipe makes six 90 degree bends and goes UP in one spot. Thus the electric toilet. I've been trying to avoid it fearing a clog.
Quote:
I use a Tundra with no issues. Equalizer hitch, tows like a dream.
Quote:
All in all the only other AS that I would have preferred would have been a Classic - but it's out for now for several reasons. Maybe one day...
Yep, I agree.

I have the queen, but I seriously don't know if I'd pick it again. Not that I don't love the queen, it's just the twins have a lot of plusses. Storage being one.

My salesman kept insisting that the bedroom in the 26 was exactly like the bedroom in the 25 and I kept saying no. There's more room in the 26!

The U-shaped seating and the lack of a dinette is what sold me!
The table is super versatile. I've never used both halves.

If I could change anything (besides the toilet) I'd make the shower opening larger. Tight squeeze.
and I'd use firmer foam in the seating area, and add a fold down shelf on the end of the galley counter. Although some smart person has a wood cutting board on top of the silverware drawer, and it works great!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:17 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Colorado Springs , CO
Appreciate the information!
Losman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:20 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
26 rbt

Quote:
We have a '17 26 Twin. Love it for several reasons:
1. Prefer rear bedroom.
2. 26 has singular bathroom (with window).
3. 26 Twin allows for tons of outside storage (big one on front, big one on back, and a smaller one on each rear side. Love all the outside storage, never enough, right?
4. Front U converts to many configurations, but we usually just use one of the tables. Pretty comfy for watching TV and enjoying a meal or morning coffee. But for reclining or napping I just utilize my bed in rear (that where the view is anyway).
5. Rotating the front TV around to view through the door to watch outside is pretty cool. Great for the big game.
6. Shoe storage by door (some have, some don't).

Dislikes:

DITTO all the above. This will be our next one. I have an aluminum heart.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 01:55 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama

"be sure to have an extra toilet relay on hand. Ours popped out of the connector and dropped into no-mans-land behind the cabinet and we were without a toilet for a weekend."

Thanks for the head's up on this.

1. Exactly where is this relay located?
2. Where do I get an emergency spare just in case?

Thx.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:59 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:

"be sure to have an extra toilet relay on hand. Ours popped out of the connector and dropped into no-mans-land behind the cabinet and we were without a toilet for a weekend."

Thanks for the head's up on this.

1. Exactly where is this relay located?
2. Where do I get an emergency spare just in case?

Thx.
1. The relay is located behind a removable panel in the far right cabinet right next to the toilet. You'll see the four screws holding the panel on to the back wall inside that cabinet.

2. Well, I still don't have one. I ordered one from our Airstream dealer but they never called me so I guess I need to revisit that with them. But in short you should be able to order one from your dealer. I will try to get the part number and let you know.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:34 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Not that you asked, but I would also suggest looking at the 25 rear bed twin as you shop.

We chose that after looking at both, for a couple of reasons that may or may not be important to you.

We preferred the toilet room on the 25 RB model as it's very roomy, no funny angle when sitting, and has a window. (The added bonus of the black tank and wast valve being right there seemed like a logical and simple design for better tank emptying.)

We felt the galley area in the 26 was too dark and didn't like how the refrigerator felt out of reach/almost part of the bedroom.

Rear twins offer the great exterior storage as mentioned above and the great nap/tv lounge space also. We love the rear bed for privacy. Much more privacy than the front bed situation on our 22. We also like the beds being along the long axis of the trailer. Seems more level when sleeping.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:15 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Not that you asked, but I would also suggest looking at the 25 rear bed twin as you shop.

We chose that after looking at both, for a couple of reasons that may or may not be important to you.

We preferred the toilet room on the 25 RB model as it's very roomy, no funny angle when sitting, and has a window. (The added bonus of the black tank and wast valve being right there seemed like a logical and simple design for better tank emptying.)

We felt the galley area in the 26 was too dark and didn't like how the refrigerator felt out of reach/almost part of the bedroom.

Rear twins offer the great exterior storage as mentioned above and the great nap/tv lounge space also. We love the rear bed for privacy. Much more privacy than the front bed situation on our 22. We also like the beds being along the long axis of the trailer. Seems more level when sleeping.

I am not aware of funny angle when sitting (probably notice it now), but black tank being right there is a definite bonus.

Galley works for us, but agree the frig is in middle of hall - sacrifices must be made.

But I would like to add that the overall layout seems to us to break the trailer into two completely separate areas - front living and rear sleeping - we like that, some don't.

We chose 26 over 25/27 because it appeared to us that living area not that comfy to watch TV. However, I've found I watch TV mostly in bedroom anyway, so looking back the 25 would have worked ok (still prefer 26's lounge area). Honestly I think you can't go wrong with any of them.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:36 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Oriental , North Carolina
Things we like

MWBISHOP said it all. He listed each reason to appreciate the 26 rbt. We love our 2018 26 rbt. I went to the dealer ready to buy the 25. After seeing the 26, it was a no-brainer. A few construction problems in the bathroom but no big problems. The floor plan is great for two people and the shower is bigger than in the 25. Lots of storage from outside with the twin beds. We only use one table and "lounge" to watch TV. We got the solar package since it was already installed. I'm sure we will appreciate that later on. We had trailers before and I can tell you that the AirStream tows better than any trailer we have ever had. I use a 2015 Ford Expedition with Eco Boost engine and it works just fine. You would not regret buying the 26.
Captn.Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:51 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Captn.Ken got it right!!
Old 07-01-2018, 06:17 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Oriental , North Carolina
I forgot.

Forgot to mention another big plus for the 26U rbt. That's the length of the twin beds. No short bed like the 75" queen. The mattresses are easy to lift and extra-long twin bed sheets work great. The table between the beds is also a plus, and the under-bed storage is very useful as is the small table area under the tv set which has a useful drawer. Just a few more likable things about our trailer.
Captn.Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:39 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
I also haven't notice any funny angle for sitting at the dinette. It is very nice for two people to lounge back and watch TV.

One of the many selling points for us was in the 25 & 27 it seems if you have a trailer full of people sitting down they are in a line down the dinette seat and couch and have to turn heads and lean forward to talk to each other whereas in the 26 everybody sits around the "U" shape and faces each other which to me makes it a nice "social" floor plans. Many times at some of our smaller rallies I will invite the men over for "morning coffee and guy talk" where we sit around the "U" and laugh it up and the "U" shape along with the custom round table works very well for this.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:30 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post

We have the 2018 26’RBT and we love it for all the reasons given by other owners. We have the experience of owning a 2010 16’ Int. Serenity and a 2016 20’ FC. The 26’RBT is by far our favorite!

As for the mascerator pump, I love it! You never have to worry about the water leaking out due to the seal being off center. Plus dumping is quick and easy.

The added extra footage in the bedroom really opens up the area plus the drawers and hanging pants closet are just perfect!

The galley area is anything but dark! With the skylight open in the hallway and the wrap around windows plus side windows and vista views, the stacked windows above the sink and the led lighting. Also, there is a fan above the table and the porthole window in the bathroom door. You can always leave the bathroom door open, just like home, if you like and get even more light from the bathroom window.

The only challenge I have is the kitchen sink! If only Airstream would find a supplier to fashion a double sink like the one in the 20’ . Having the ability to use one side for food prep and still be able to have the other for washing would make the 26’RBT sheer perfection!
ljsigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:17 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Livingston , Texas
All I want for Christmas is an Airstream

Thank you all for your likes and dislikes on the FC26. We have just ordered ours and are waiting to get a VIN # and production date....our dealer said it probably will be a December delivery date :sad We ordered the twin bed in the truffle color mostly because it has the lighter color table and work surfaces.
I have been surfing the internet for the XL twin sheets, I don't find many options for them. I do see the AS store has them in 3 different thread counts and 4 color choices, anyone out there have these and can I have your opinion on them ?
I noticed that some of the AS models come with bed pillows, throw pillows, outside chairs etc (not counting the Tommy Bahama in this, that seems like a different breed almost, LOL) . Do the FC's come with any extras or should I extend my shopping list ?
Thanks in advance.
TheBristols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:30 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
For our 26U twins.....we use ABlifestyles Airstream products. Sheets etc. Good tight fit and nice quality. Get products with the deeper pocket.

https://www.ablifestyles.net/airstream-essentials
Old 08-18-2018, 07:45 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We ordered the 600 thread sheets for the twin beds in our 2014 Classic. Also ordered the 600 thread sheets for the 2013 25FB. We really love those sheets and they wear well.

We increased the mattress thickness on the 25FB from the stock 7" to 8" (Rocky Mountain Mattress) and the Airstream sheets fit like they were supposed to. They would have been sloppy loose on the 7" mattress.

We left the stock twin mattresses for our 2014 31' Classic on the assembly line at the factory and went with the 8" Rocky Mountain Mattress again. Since we lacked the actual height of the twin bed night stand when we ordered the sheets, we chose 8" but 9" thick mattresses would have worked for both the space and the sheets.

We put a 10" Rocky Mountain mattress in our 2015 23D International Serenity and went with the Rocky Mountain sheets. They work with a sloppy fit but Airstream sheets would not have fitted the thicker mattress.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:22 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
We ordered the 600 thread sheets for the twin beds in our 2014 Classic. Also ordered the 600 thread sheets for the 2013 25FB. We really love those sheets and they wear well.

We increased the mattress thickness on the 25FB from the stock 7" to 8" (Rocky Mountain Mattress) and the Airstream sheets fit like they were supposed to. They would have been sloppy loose on the 7" mattress.

We left the stock twin mattresses for our 2014 31' Classic on the assembly line at the factory and went with the 8" Rocky Mountain Mattress again. Since we lacked the actual height of the twin bed night stand when we ordered the sheets, we chose 8" but 9" thick mattresses would have worked for both the space and the sheets.

We put a 10" Rocky Mountain mattress in our 2015 23D International Serenity and went with the Rocky Mountain sheets. They work with a sloppy fit but Airstream sheets would not have fitted the thicker mattress.
Thank you for all the info...made me realize that there is a possibility that we won't like the provided mattresses. We currently are sleeping on a 15 inch tempurpedic style, so that will take some thinking about...maybe a memory foam topper to star with. You have been very helpful, again, thanks you.
TheBristols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:37 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Disclaimer- we don't have a 26'. We have owned 3- 25' AS's, before moving up in size to the 28', (if your interested. ) I liked the 26' U-shaped dinning/lounge especially for watching TV, but wife did/does not like refrigerator location across from bathroom door, and she too thought it dark with 2 AC's. Soooo we ended up going up to the 28 twin with separate lounge and dinning. Which ever model you end up with, I agree about the twins offering more outside storage and twins giving you more bedroom area to dress. If AS had the U shaped dinning instead of the straight long lounge/couch we likely would have stayed with the 25'. We love the 28', but we also liked the size of the 25 twin; we had the front bed model; the rear bed has the larger bath as you mentioned, plus window and microwave plus oven. That's nice. I am always looking at the new models...right now, the 28' suits our needs pretty well. Forgot to mention the beds...in the 2017 and newer models, I know the mattress' are much better then the older models we had. We also had Temperpedic at home, but really like the twin mattress in our newer model.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote