Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2018, 03:04 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
You asked about bed size, we have the 23D which is an RV double (a bit smaller) but it’s big enough for the two of us.

Gotta say, though, had a single axle 19’ Bambi for five years. We travel a lot of two lane roads with no shoulder......you lose a tire and you’re going to have problems changing it. I’m unaware of and “safety” issues with dual axles, and most prefer them IMHO.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 03:23 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Argyle , Texas
Just be sure one of you is agile enough to get in and out of the bed with the other person already in bed. That caused us to have to move from a 25 ft Airstream to a 28 ft with a so-called walk-around bed. My husband is pretty severely handicapped and I am - in one leg - no crawling. We both have to be able to simply lie down in bed. This can be a real deal breaker and expensive to change sizes.
Betty Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 03:53 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Visit several dealers and RV shows and look at everything. It's fun!

For me a single axle was a deal breaker. I never heard the term "Interply sheer" until I joined this forum, but I did experience two blowouts on the highway. Not good.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:02 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB International
Charlotte , NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
Look up "Clearview Towing Mirrors for Colorado/Canyon" You will need them to tow a 8ft wide trailer behind your Canyon. I hope you have the Diesel as the Gasser will have its hands full with a 23FB behind it. The mirrors are expensive but very, very high quality. Just installed a set on friends new Colorado.
Thanks! Already bought the mirrors but haven't put them on yet. We will get that done this weekend. We have been so busy with brake controllers, tire pressure monitors, etc. Such a process to get started! Our truck is gas but will do fine with the lower tongue weight, etc of the 23FB, according to the tow package limits. That is one of the reasons we went with that model... less weight and could stay within our trucks tow package limits. (well below, unless you know something we don't?) We are getting ready to tow it over 2,000 miles so I HOPE it will do well!! As for the walk around bed... our 23 has one? Some are saying only the 25 or larger but ours is walk around? That was one of the things we liked. We can both get out of bed without crawling over the other! Like I said... we have not picked it up but as of now we love it! We liked the twin bed layout, also, but too long (heavy) for our truck.
VDR928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:14 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Mill Valley , California
We have a number of years now on our FB22.
We have done few things to deal with original shortcomings, and now would not want any other model.

First, on the single axel issue, all you need to do is run better quality tries than what it comes with. We put on slightly larger wheels and run Michelin commercial rib tires. No worrys about blowouts.

The 22 is several inches narrower than every other model. Don’t need mirror extensions and fits better in more places.

With a slight modification, the bed is now a genuine full queen on hydraulic struts for storage access.

It is ideal for many parks where larger units have trouble fitting, but it works just fine for my wife and me with our petite Labrador girl.
awiegel is offline   Reply With Quote