Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-30-2016, 08:19 AM   #1
A man, a van & a can

2016 23' Flying Cloud
2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Delray Beach , Florida
Purchased a 23D last week! Now how to fit everything?

Hi all!

After some consideration my wife and I selected the Flying Cloud 23D/Bunk for our family as our first RV. We found a 2016 model at Johns RV in SC at a good discount and we are very happy so far. The design works for us because we have four boys and need the sleeping room. Now that we have settled in a little, my wife is beginning the process of gathering space saving ideas and I figured I would enlist this forum to help her efforts. So, what ideas do you recommend to maximize space for clothing and personal items? We already met a couple who suggested putting all our outside stuff (chairs, table, balls, kids scooters, etc) in a large weatherproof bin which is the last thing packed and first to come out when parked. Ideas like that work well for us since it effectively expands our living space by moving things outside. Anyway, thank you in advance for your suggestions and comments.
BocaDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 05:53 PM   #2
A man, a van & a can

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Delray Beach , Florida
Chirp...chirp...chirp...
Old 12-31-2016, 06:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
We also just purchased a 23D bunk! It's a 2017, and had it for about three weeks. I did a rough packing attempt based on how we used to tent camp. I have 4 kids as well. For tent camping we traveled pretty light anyway, so I ave had no issues getting everything in.

The only issue really is cooler we used to carry, not sure I can get everything in the refrigerator, but maybe we can.

We have a grand Cherokee, two big dogs go in the back, and a Thule on the roof for camp chairs a small tent, and a shelter to cover picnic table. Usually only five go camping, if a sixth does come we have to take two cars.

Kids like to stay dirty, so not sure shower will be used much, so I could use that for more space.

Tough to tell until we actually get out. We carry a bunch of fishing gear, backpacks for hiking, but stopped taking scooters and bikes and such. Kids ages are seven to nineteen.

Someone told me to use plastic bins for clothes and stack them in closet, you get more in that way.

I'll be watching this for any other tips.

Thx
Troutboy, aka Rich
Old 01-01-2017, 06:12 PM   #4
A man, a van & a can

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Delray Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
We also just purchased a 23D bunk! It's a 2017, and had it for about three weeks. I did a rough packing attempt based on how we used to tent camp. I have 4 kids as well. For tent camping we traveled pretty light anyway, so I ave had no issues getting everything in.

The only issue really is cooler we used to carry, not sure I can get everything in the refrigerator, but maybe we can.

We have a grand Cherokee, two big dogs go in the back, and a Thule on the roof for camp chairs a small tent, and a shelter to cover picnic table. Usually only five go camping, if a sixth does come we have to take two cars.

Kids like to stay dirty, so not sure shower will be used much, so I could use that for more space.

Tough to tell until we actually get out. We carry a bunch of fishing gear, backpacks for hiking, but stopped taking scooters and bikes and such. Kids ages are seven to nineteen.

Someone told me to use plastic bins for clothes and stack them in closet, you get more in that way.

I'll be watching this for any other tips.

Thx
Troutboy, aka Rich

Thank's Rich. You actually just gave me the idea to keep my fishing gear in the shower. That will definitely work. I'll probably also install a hitch or something for the bikes. I pull the FC with an Interstate so we actually have plenty of room for sleeping, but lack the versatility of a pickup for all the other stuff.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:29 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Store heavy low over or just forward of axles. Lighter as you go up. Store liquids in shower or sinks or substantial plastic boxes. About $11 for blac/yellow boxes, stackable.. they can be left outside just slide under the AS. Put fabric then no skid on top then boxes. Vibration may bruise flooring so easily careful. Don't overload front and especially rear... of course in truck bed is another option..for dirty and road gear...and rain gear plus a tarp

A larger pvc tube under with screw cap to stow fish rod. Support ends with soft foam. Carried rods to/from Alaska, no problem. Remove reels if heavy or expensive.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 10:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
I have seen these front hitches that attach to the aframe. I'll see if I can find the link. I was told it's a bad idea to attach a hitch to the rear of the as for bikes. They make a Bike rack just for AS, but it's almost $500, and only holds two.

Thx
Troutboy, aka Rich
Old 01-01-2017, 10:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Here is the link: http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Carg...CvsaAtwZ8P8HAQ

Then you can use any bike rack with it. It will add to tongue weight...

Thx
Troutboy, aka Rich
Old 01-02-2017, 02:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
. . . I was told it's a bad idea to attach a hitch to the rear of the as for bikes. They make a Bike rack just for AS, but it's almost $500, and only holds two.
. . .
I believe that the rack approved by Airstream for the rear location is the only approved one, and it does not rely on a hitch receiver at all (thereby keeping the weight of the bikes as close as possible to the rear axle, over the bumper pretty much):

https://store.airstream.com/product/...kes-by-fiamma/

The following Out of Control Sway thread has extensive discussions about the various issues raised by using a heavier/larger rear bike rack:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ay-152451.html

And then the Quebec Roll-over thread has a similarly long conversation about adding excessive weight to the rear:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ec-153984.html

Check out the photos for the massive storage box which was mounted way behind the Airstream's rear bumper.

BocaDad, at the risk of raining on your parade, I am wondering if your land train -- with the Extended Interstate towing a 23D -- raises any weight limit issues, or might introduce sway concerns? Is the Interstate rated for such a large trailer, especially given that it is the Extended version? What is your overall length, and weight distribution set up?

FWIW, when we bought our first 25' AS in the 90's, the salesman recommended not towing with an extended chassis of any kind, as such a set-up puts the trailer's tongue weight too far away from the tow vehicle's rear axle. FWIW.

Happy Trails!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:43 AM   #9
A man, a van & a can

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Delray Beach , Florida
Peter,

So far so good. My land train has been safely and steadily traveling about the southeast this past week without any issues. The dealer took care to explain the hitch set-up and the weight distribution which I use as a guide when I pack the trailer so I'm within the acceptable limits. There may be times I may be off a little but not so much that I'm creating an unsafe driving environment. I am familiar with the Quebec accident but that's an outlier. I believe most Airstream owners are intelligent enough not to pack close to 500lbs at the bumper. I also believe the TV was too lightweight for what it was pulling and they were probably driving at excessive speed for that load. I actually try to balance my load as best possible and drive at safe speed (never in excess of 65mph).

Steve
The man with a van and a can.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:16 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Steve, looking forward to a photo of the rig!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:49 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
We took several short trips and several month long trips in our 1969 23' Safari with a family of four boys and my parents. It's the same trailer my wife and I use now. We each got one of the plastic bins that store under the sofas and that was all we got for everything we wanted to have along with us. We had the bunk bed option in which one brother slept in a detachable bunk above my parents. One of us slept on the floor between the sofas at the front of the trailer. What other stuff we took depended on the trip and we tended to rent or borrow things along the way at the RV parks instead of taking them with us. When we get together as a family now we remember the trips and the activities not so much what we had or didn't have along with us. My Dad figured out the big motivator for arriving each day at an RV park - the pool and the game room. No one could go either place before they had done their part of unhitching and setting up. The car barely stopped rolling before we were out and getting everything ship shape - backed in, level, unhitched, hoses connected, electric plugged in and tested, TV antennae extended (no cable back then), and off we went. One thing to definetly have is games for rainy days stuck in the trailer. We had some great experiences as a family that would not have been possible without our trailer.
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Purchased a 23D last week! Now how to fit everything?

Cool story kdickinson,

I think you are spot on, they remember the times. My kids were horrified at first when I told them we were getting a camper/trailer. But dad, we are proud tent campers, who wants to go "glamping", it will be no fun. For the months leading up to receiving the trailer, all I heard was how I was wrecking their childhood camping, and how awful it would be.

Then I asked them what they liked most about tent camping. It was the stories at campfires, the small streams we wander and the brook trout we hunt, the mountains, creating nature obstinate courses. Then I said, hey we still get to do all that, now it's just easier for dad and when it gets cold or rainy we get have a better place to hang.

Now that we have it, they are excited, as am I. Tent camping with a family this size was really a trial in packing the Jeep to fit everything. It took so long to pack so perfect, unpack, setup, repackaged, then when we got home unpack etc. we eventually had to use a small trailer to haul everything we needed. There will be plenty of room, and I look forward to creating more lifetime memories with everyone.

I am convinced with the trailer it will be much easier and quicker to just hook up and go...

Thx
Troutboy, aka Rich
Old 01-02-2017, 08:23 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Petrolia , Ontario
Fishing tip

[QUOTE=BocaDad;1893979]Thank's Rich. You actually just gave me the idea to keep my fishing gear in the shower.

Word of caution on that. Find some way to hold the rods in place. I lost the tip off of my wire line rod because it was slapping back and forth, scratched my enclosure up a bit too. Maybe self adhesive tape broom brackets of some sort.
Portage to Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:16 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Hilliard , Ohio
Getting things to fit

I buy the xlarge and jumbo ziplock bags (from Amazon) and put extra food, paper goods, etc and put them on a hanger in the closets. Also use ebags(different color for each person) for clothing in overhead bins.
thixoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:45 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Petrolia , Ontario
Space saving

One easy thing we've done in our 23FB is we took the smaller wardrobe on the curb side and turned it into a rack of shelves. The clothes rod was taken out and installed four shelves instead. Folded stacked clothing take up much less room and it's all readily accessable. Then each person can have a shelf of his or her own.
Using pre-finished 1/2" melamine panel and 1/2" aluminum angle for the shelf supports made the job quick and simple. I finished the exposed front edge with solid wood for ware resistance. Iron on edging would be easier still, but may need to be redone after some use.
We still have the larger wardrobe (street side) to hang whatever else we need to, such as coats etc. Of course to floor of that wardwobe collects other items like lanterns and portable vacumm.
Enjoy your experiences and don't be shy about making your Airstream
"your own".
Portage to Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:20 AM   #16
A man, a van & a can

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Delray Beach , Florida
Thank you all. I met a couple at TopSail park this week that also gave me the idea of installing drawers where I now just have cabinet openings under the lounge and under the stove. Definitely expanded the available space. They also created a small chair cabinet at the edge of the dinette seat by the front door. Currently there is a bulky pie-shaped cushion over an empty space. They cut the area to fit the new cabinet and store their small folding chairs there. The husband really did a very nice job of it.