Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2017, 03:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Now happy with my new FC 23FB

I just picked up my new trailer less than 2 weeks ago. It has not been out of my driveway yet. However, I have just finished 2 mods that make me a LOT more comfortable with the trailer electrical system.

1. Replaced the POS Parallax 8355 converter with a Progressive Dynamics 4655. Now I don't have to worry about boiling the batteries dry, and they will recharge much faster. Rather than 13.6v all the time, I get 14.4v until the batteries are about 90% charged, then 13.6v till they are charged, then 13.2v as a trickle charge to keep them charged.

2. Installed a Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C between the shore cord and the main breaker box. Now I don't have to worry about bad pedestals at campgrounds. If the wiring is bad, or goes bad, it will disconnect me from all electricity. I would rather lose power completely than have low current, reverse polarity, high current, etc cause damage to my electronics.

I have a third mod I am about to do, but it is not electrical. I have a pair of Fantastic Vent covers that I am going to put over my Fantastic Vents, but that was a lower priority. It is next in line though.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:22 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
Change the lug nuts. You really don't want to deal with the sub quality factory shells on he side of the road.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Could you elaborate a little? I have not heard about lug nut problems.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:14 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
On my 26U, the lug nuts Airstream supplied had a thin covering of cheap metal over the actual nut itself. That covering easily crushed when trying to remove the lug nut, making it very difficult to get the actual nut off. The covering can split, break and even come off, making a roadside flat a real chore. Your dealer will have the proper, solid lug nuts, or even Amazon.....I'm sure someone can supply the link.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:48 PM   #5
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBigfoot View Post
On my 26U, the lug nuts Airstream supplied had a thin covering of cheap metal over the actual nut itself. That covering easily crushed when trying to remove the lug nut, making it very difficult to get the actual nut off. The covering can split, break and even come off, making a roadside flat a real chore. Your dealer will have the proper, solid lug nuts, or even Amazon.....I'm sure someone can supply the link.
Our 2017 has solid lug nuts (McGard I think).