Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2017, 05:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Montgomery , Texas
Newbie w/ 50A hookup questions -

I'm supposed to be picking up my new 25' FC in a couple of weeks (fingers crossed!) The trailer will come w/ 2 a/c units and 50A service. I have already purchased the Progressive Industries EMS PT-50X surge protector for camp grounds. Now, I want to get the necessary 'extras' for hooking up, adapting, being prepared for varying on the road scenarios, etc.

Also, I'm going to keep a Yamaha 2400iSHC tri-fuel powered genset in the rear of my p/u for Walmart stays, lunch on the road, etc. I plan to install Micro-Air easy start systems on both a/c units in short order so that I will be able to run one unit on the road w/ the genset and both when 30A service is the only option.

Now, how do I hook all this up? For the genset would I adapt the 50A plug at the front of the trailer w/ a pig tail and use a heavy extension cord to hook up to the generator? Not really necessary for the 'big' 50A cord for this short run is it? The generator has the standard wall plug configuration, not a 30A as some do. Also, it looks to me like I'll need the locking ring type 50A connections?

Looking for advice and suggested connectors, extension cords, etc.

Any guidance or hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Dockholiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida

You sure you have a 50A plug at the front of the trailer?

Both my '16 FCs (27FB, 30J) lost that ability when we opted for 50A service, or so I seem to recall.

Not familiar with this gennie, but I am an EE. I would not use an 'extension cord' to supply main power to an RV planning to use A/C with out carefully considering the start up and steady state current required.

As to the hookup, your gennie needs to adapt to 50A service jack, sounds like. Does it have a 30A RV jack? If so, a simple dogbone 50A / 30A adapter should work. If not, you'll need a 120VAC to 30A to 50A setup. Should be fairly easy to get both at WalMart or Camping World, if not online.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:12 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Montgomery , Texas
I just assumed that I will have a 50A at the front of the trailer. I'll ck the spec sheet and see if it gives any information. Again, rookie - so learning as I go.
The Micro - air system for the a/c should dramatically lower start-up amperage and does lower steady run rate amperage as well. They say you can run a single a/c unit on a Honda 2000W generator.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida

No worries, hope it works either way.

If you don't have a second 50A jack, obviously it will still work, but you'll have a longer run.

I looked at the gennie specs and it certainly appears Yamaha states it can run a 13,500btu RV A/C.

If it were me, I would get a couple couplers to go from 120VAC outlet on the gennie to 30A RV to 50A RV and run my standard 50A cable to the Airstream from the generator.

After three years extended travel including a Class B and two TTs, I can count on the thumbs of one hand the times I have wanted to and actually used a gennie to run the AC when not connected up to mains power. But if your use includes this mode, you are smart to think ahead.

Rich
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:47 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Montgomery , Texas
I can't find anything in my literature that discusses the power connection at the front of the trailer. It would really be nice if that option exists w/ the 50A setup. I also hear what you are saying about the 'need' for the generator, I'm just covering the bases. Appreciate the feedback.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:57 PM   #6
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Check with Airstream Customer Service on the build specs for your electrical service. I had the Service Center install a 50 amp on the front of my Classic with an auto change over located at the roadside rear corner next to the OEM AC connection installation. Then, just make up a 30 amp cord to go from the genny to the front of the trailer. You can do the same for propane if you are so inclined. Works great especially for lunch and Walmart at nite.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 03:51 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Yahoo to Kyet
I just completed this exercise. I had a 30 amp trailer before the new Classic that is being built and only once did I hook up to the sewer so I tended to park wherever on the site I wanted and would often need to have a longer run of power. I always carried extra hoses. I imagine with a 30' trailer there will be little choice but hey, I hope to boondock often anyway. Here is the list I just bought. It was so much easier with my 30 amp trailer. I already have a 30’ 30 amp extension.

General 50 amp down to 30 amp adapter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

30 amp regular prong adapt to 30 amp twist lock so I can plug my 30 amp extension into the generator.

50 amp to 30 amp Twist Lock adapter so I only have to pull out the smaller cable and not have to deal with the beast when applicable.

If there is only a 30 amp available at the post or If my 50 amp cord (that comes w/ trailer) does not reach front of the bed of my pickup then I can just run the 50, adapt, and add the 30. i will be keeping my Honda 3000 in the front of bed on the passenger side.
https://www.campingworld.com/shoppin...d-25-ft-/27989

For the times I want my trailer to be farther from where the trailer 50 amp reaches.
https://www.campingworld.com/shoppin...cord-15-/95703

When there is only a 30 amp and also a separate 15amp or 2 separate 30 amp outlets on a post. I have never seen the double 30 amp outlets.
I feel it would only be fair to ask the campground etc if is okay to pull 45 amps if I am only paying for 30 but that’s me.
https://www.campingworld.com/shoppin...ter-27-l/95720
Kyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 03:58 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
I'm fairly sure that tha front receptacle is only installed with 30A configurations as it is wired through a relay to switch out of shore power when the generator kicks in when plugged into the front receptacle.

Amazon has a 50A female to 11OV male dog bone. I use mine when home so I don't have to haul the 50A cord out of the storage locker.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:41 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Graham , Washington
My 2017 27FB has no 50 amp at the front. Only on the 30 amp setups.
h2ocoolerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:18 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Montgomery , Texas
I called today and yep - no front end receptacle for 50A service. I missed that one for sure. Supposed to build her on July 11th - I hate to make another change to the order. Won't kill me to drag a cord around to the side I suppose. Appreciate you guys getting me pointed on that..
Old 06-22-2017, 07:19 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Montgomery , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRVR View Post
I'm fairly sure that tha front receptacle is only installed with 30A configurations as it is wired through a relay to switch out of shore power when the generator kicks in when plugged into the front receptacle.

Amazon has a 50A female to 11OV male dog bone. I use mine when home so I don't have to haul the 50A cord out of the storage locker.

I will get the dog bone for sure. Be good for keeping the fridge and topping off batteries before a trip anyway.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:25 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Montgomery , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyet View Post
I just completed this exercise. I had a 30 amp trailer before the new Classic that is being built and only once did I hook up to the sewer so I tended to park wherever on the site I wanted and would often need to have a longer run of power. I always carried extra hoses. I imagine with a 30' trailer there will be little choice but hey, I hope to boondock often anyway. Here is the list I just bought. It was so much easier with my 30 amp trailer. I already have a 30’ 30 amp extension.

General 50 amp down to 30 amp adapter

30 amp regular prong adapt to 30 amp twist lock so I can plug my 30 amp extension into the generator.

50 amp to 30 amp Twist Lock adapter so I only have to pull out the smaller cable and not have to deal with the beast when applicable.

If there is only a 30 amp available at the post or If my 50 amp cord (that comes w/ trailer) does not reach front of the bed of my pickup then I can just run the 50, adapt, and add the 30. i will be keeping my Honda 3000 in the front of bed on the passenger side.

https://www.campingworld.com/shoppin...d-25-ft-/27989

For the times I want my trailer to be farther from where the trailer 50 amp reaches.

https://www.campingworld.com/shoppin...cord-15-/95703

When there is only a 30 amp and also a separate 15amp or 2 separate 30 amp outlets on a post. I have never seen the double 30 amp outlets.

I feel it would only be fair to ask the campground etc if is okay to pull 45 amps if I am only paying for 30 but that’s me.

https://www.campingworld.com/shoppin...ter-27-l/95720

Great information here - many thanks! I really like the 50A twist lock to the 30A - that will be perfect for the smaller line from the trailer to the genset and for those times you don't want to fight the big boy and don't need all the juice. Very good!
Old 06-22-2017, 07:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockholiday View Post
I can't find anything in my literature that discusses the power connection at the front of the trailer. It would really be nice if that option exists w/ the 50A setup. I also hear what you are saying about the 'need' for the generator, I'm just covering the bases. Appreciate the feedback.

Ah, I finally located where I saw it, page 3-9 in my 2016 FC Owners Manual: "The Remote Generator Hookup is not available with 50 Amp service."
Old 06-22-2017, 10:50 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Yahoo to Kyet
I am going to have to agree with Llando88 though. I let my brand new gennie travel around in my truck with me for 4 years. Tags are still on it, no fuel or oil has been naywhere near it. After a while I stopped fooling myself and just left it at home. That being said, I bet fulltiming will bring to weather conditions that force my hand and I will want creature comforts when boon docking. Even if to recharge the batteries. I am glad I had never heard of the front hookup on the trailer. Now I don't have to be disappointed and the heavy up on the cable lengths wasn't a waste.
Kyet is offline   Reply With Quote