Old 01-30-2017, 09:08 AM   #1
The "RV Advocate"

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Miramar Beach , Florida
Newbie Towing Capacity Question

I am new to pulling a trailer. So my question is matching Trailer to tow vehicle. The stats are below and my hope is confirmation I am OK or I screwed up:
Tow Vehicle: 2016 Toyota Sequoia Limited Two Wheel Drive
Maximum payload
1315 lbs.
Maximum towing capacity
7100 lbs.

Airstream Flying Cloud 25 Twin
Hitch Weight (w/ LP & Batteries) (lbs.)
Unit Base Weight (w/ LP & Batteries) (lbs.)
Maximum Trailer Capacity (GVWR) (lbs.)
Net Carrying Capacity (NCC=GVWR-UBW) (lbs.)

Added to the setup:
Blue Ox BXW1000 SWAYPRO Weight Distributing Hitch
Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller - 1 to 4 Axles - Proportional

Old 01-30-2017, 02:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
The hitch weight seems low, if it includes batteries and propane. My owners manual for the 2006 says 720-860 lbs. dry weight (no batteries or propane) for the three 25'11" models. What is the maximum tongue weight on the Sequoia?

I have a 2004 4Runner and my limits are very close to what you have in the Sequoia. The GVWR on my 23' AS is 6,000 lbs. and my towing capacity is 7,000 but the maximum trailer weight is 5,710. My maximum tongue weight is 700 lbs. and my 23' tongue weight is 600 lbs. (dry). Maximum payload is 1,195. I also have the Prodigy P3 controller.

That said, my 4Runner handles just fine, no problems since we started towing in 02/2014. I know if I want to go up to a larger AS it means we need to get a new TV. It's just 2 of us traveling and we put just the bulky stuff in the TV, like life jackets, kayak paddles, some clothes and that's about it. The AS is kept as light as possible, no water or soft drinks on the trip, get 'em when we get there.

I think you'll be OK, but remember you are right at the maximum, so travel light, keep the holding and water tanks empty. Travel with a minimum amount of propane (fill 1 tank or half fill each). Travel at 60-65 MPH. I've seen other Sequoia owners post here and they are towing the 25'.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...le-141436.html

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Newbie Towing Capacity Question

Hitch weight of your trailer is too much for that truck, technically speaking, by the book assuming your receiver is rated for a hitch weight of 710lbs.

Let the debate begin! you will now receive a range of responses from "meh, you'll be fine" to "you will most certainly crash and cause catastrophic
injury"
Old 01-31-2017, 11:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
The maximum tongue weight for your Sequoia is 730 lbs. (2WD Limited). Your payload is 1,370. It looks like you're going to have to drop down to a 23' or change the Sequoia to a Tundra or other larger vehicle

https://pressroom.toyota.com/releases/2016+toyota+sequoia+product+specs.download

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 12:16 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
The tongue weight on my 25 is over 1000lbs
Old 01-31-2017, 12:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthrngary View Post
I am new to pulling a trailer. So my question is matching Trailer to tow vehicle. The stats are below and my hope is confirmation I am OK or I screwed up:
Tow Vehicle: 2016 Toyota Sequoia Limited Two Wheel Drive
Maximum payload
1315 lbs.
Maximum towing capacity
7100 lbs.

Airstream Flying Cloud 25 Twin
Hitch Weight (w/ LP & Batteries) (lbs.)
Unit Base Weight (w/ LP & Batteries) (lbs.)
Maximum Trailer Capacity (GVWR) (lbs.)
Net Carrying Capacity (NCC=GVWR-UBW) (lbs.)

Added to the setup:
Blue Ox BXW1000 SWAYPRO Weight Distributing Hitch
Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller - 1 to 4 Axles - Proportional
IMHO you are marginal all around especially being new to the game. A somewhat oversized TV will make your trips safer more relaxed and enjoyable.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:51 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Center Moriches , New York
You'll likely be pushing your tow vehicle to its' extreme edge of its' ratings/capabilities. Even if you downgrade the amount of total weight, you're going to have virtually NO safety factor. On dry, flat ground, you'll likely "get away" with it. Under less than ideal conditions look out!

Bottom line, you need a more capable tow vehicle for that trailer/load.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:53 PM   #8
Drag&Fly

1988 29' Excella
Collierville , Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to md11flyer
Over payload limit

The numbers do not lie:
TV payload - ( minus)
Tongue wt
Hitch weight
Tank of gas. Yes this is part of your payload
Two people weight (realistic) lol
Favorite pet
Dog food or other
Suitcases
Portable generator and fuel
Anything you toss into the backseat or bed of the
TV.
THIS FIGURE cannot exceed max PAYLOAD!! I have observed many times driving the interstate a brand new 1/2 ton truck pulling a beautiful new trailer because he can. His rear bumper nearly touching the ground and nose of the truck really high. Essentially limited steering control. Just remember we live in a litigious society. You can do it but you may have to leave your partners at home and put everything in the trailer ( but that just makes the tongue weight go up)

All that aside I love my F250 D and 1988 Excella 29 ft
And drive slow please🇺🇸🇺🇸
Old 01-31-2017, 03:50 PM   #9
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
If you are wanting to keep the tow vehicle you have, you should consider a shorter Airstream. Good job on your research...... use those numbers to match a trailer to the tow vehicle.... I would not recommend making the tow vehicle fit the trailer.
I like the rule of thumb of staying within 80% of the tow vehicle's listed capabilities. That can save headaches down the road.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
We have many customers who tow with Toyota Sequoia's. They are a very capable tow vehicle. I would like it if they had a more shock dampening and a little less rear overhang but otherwise they are quite good. They do like fuel but plenty of power.

We have never had a load capacity issue with them, the suspension components are very robust with plenty of overbuild. I am not sure the Blu Ox hitch will give you enough weight transfer, we usually use an Eaz-Lift 1400 with two friction controls which will transfer several hundred pounds of the hitch weight to the front axle and trailer axles.

As is often the case their are many vehicles with higher tow ratings that are not as safe or stable as the Sequoia. I guess Toyota must think it is an ok combination as they have a 25 FB in the Sequoia brochure.

Andrew T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sequoia.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	299.9 KB
ID:	279005  

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:19 PM   #11
The "RV Advocate"

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Miramar Beach , Florida
I Saw That Toyota/Airstream Ad Also....

Thank you for your feedback. With the differing of opinions, as one poster indicated would happen, here is what I learned. 1) don't over load either the SUV or the trailer, check. 2) When you do load, best to put it over the two trailer Axles, check. 3) Best to not fill up fresh water tanks to keep weight down, check. 4) The rear bedroom was a better choice for towing with this SUV then the Front Bedroom would have been, check. 5) All weight Distibutors and sway units are not the same, check. 6) Your full gas tank adds to the weight so count it, check. 7) Sequoia's suck on MPG, check. 8) I am either going. To die an ugly death due to an unsafe set up or have the time of my life, check. 8) Every one in this forum loves their Airstream, no one ever really agrees with each other's conclusions, YET every one wants newbies to enjoy this hobby, check-check.

Thanks all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
We have many customers who tow with Toyota Sequoia's. They are a very capable tow vehicle. I would like it if they had a more shock dampening and a little less rear overhang but otherwise they are quite good. They do like fuel but plenty of power.

We have never had a load capacity issue with them, the suspension components are very robust with plenty of overbuild. I am not sure the Blu Ox hitch will give you enough weight transfer, we usually use an Eaz-Lift 1400 with two friction controls which will transfer several hundred pounds of the hitch weight to the front axle and trailer axles.

As is often the case their are many vehicles with higher tow ratings that are not as safe or stable as the Sequoia. I guess Toyota must think it is an ok combination as they have a 25 FB in the Sequoia brochure.

Andrew T
Old 01-31-2017, 10:49 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Were I you, I'd hook up your trailer as you would for camping and go to a scale and weigh your payload, tongue weight including your hitch and your trailer. That way you will know if you are exceeding the published limits of your vehicle, and by how much.

Mike
Old 01-31-2017, 11:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I think it's good to take a closer look at payload number as printed on the label in the door sill. We did and couldn't make sense of it as applied to towing our Airstream with a capable, properly set up weight distribution hitch.

Here's how we set up our truck and I believe accounts for thousands of Airstreamers successfully towing Airstreams and other travel trailers with half-ton pickups, SUV's, and sedans for generations.

The payload number is important to me when I haul a load in the bed of our EcoD with no trailer, or hook up our utility trailer with no weight distribution hitch. That payload weight will take the rear axle right up near the EcoD's rear axle rating of 3900 lbs.

Unless I am using a weight distribution hitch. The payload number means little because I have two 3900 lb axles. I use the w.d. hitch to load the axles equally, and have plenty of excess axle capacity. I use the CAT scale to verify. With the trailer hitched, w.d. set, and all loaded for travel, the rear axle is carrying less weight than with no trailer and the EcoD's bed loaded to the payload number.

I also know the EcoD's engine, transmission, running gear and brakes are designed and presumably tested to tow and stop the entire combination because it weighs less the the truck's combined weight rating (GCWR). GCWR is 14,740 lbs for our particular EcoD with the 3.92 axle gears, we are way under that as well.

We have used our new EcoDiesel to tow our Airstream as far east as Ohio and throughout the Southwest, and haul loads and tow our utility trailer at home frequently this past summer. With the 1400 lb ProPride hitch, full coil suspension (which has better lateral stability than leaf spring suspensions according to Ram engineers), it is a smooth running, comfortable, and absolutely confident towing combination in all weather, road, and traffic conditions.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:38 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Center Moriches , New York
Once you DO hit the road with whatever setup you choose, get a "Smart Weigh" done. Costs about $60 and, you will receive a printout of the weight at each tire position. You'll also get a reading for your tongue weight and, possibly the accurate measurement of how tall your rig is at its' highest point. The Escapees RV Club and the RVSEF are two groups that provide this valuable resource. Bigger RV rallies often have one group or the other in attendance. Once the exact numbers are known, the proper tire inflation can be determined for each axle. It's something that should be done once and you're done (unless you make substantial changes to your setup).

https://www.google.com/search?q=Smar...RV+Smart+Weigh

https://www.google.com/search?q=Smar...=UTF-8#q=RVSEF

PS: you mention that you're new to towing a trailer. Do yourself a HUGE favor. Find and attend an RV Boot Camp. Escapees and RVSEF run them (as well as other groups) and, Smart Weigh is available during the event. RVBC WILL make you a more knowledgeable and safer RVer. Some insurance companies give discounts to RVBC graduates too!