Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2017, 08:23 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Dunnellon , Florida
New to Airstream

Good Morning,
My wife and I just purchased a Flying Cloud 23 FB. We love it and have found it to be a perfect size for a couple. After our first camping experience, we've come up with a few questions:

1. Can anyone tell us what the constant "fan" noise is coming from under the bed ?

2. When plugged into 30 amp, should the inverter be on?

3.While in storage, should batteries be in storage switch position? Will a battery maintainer keep them charged?

Many Thanks!
cvcian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvcian View Post
Good Morning,
My wife and I just purchased a Flying Cloud 23 FB. We love it and have found it to be a perfect size for a couple. After our first camping experience, we've come up with a few questions:

1. Can anyone tell us what the constant "fan" noise is coming from under the bed ?

2. When plugged into 30 amp, should the inverter be on?

3.While in storage, should batteries be in storage switch position? Will a battery maintainer keep them charged?

Many Thanks!
1. It's probably the cooling fan on the converter/charger. Ours was noisy too, which is another reason we replaced it with one that wouldn't overcharge the batteries.

2. No. The inverter gives you 120V power at select outlets when you are running on battery power.

3. Yes, and yes, or you could disconnect them which would keep them from discharging from the small load from things like the propane leak detector that remains on.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:48 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Dunnellon , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
1. It's probably the cooling fan on the converter/charger. Ours was noisy too, which is another reason we replaced it with one that wouldn't overcharge the batteries.

2. No. The inverter gives you 120V power at select outlets when you are running on battery power.

3. Yes, and yes, or you could disconnect them which would keep them from discharging from the small load from things like the propane leak detector that remains on.
Thanks SeaLevel!! So the AC should work without the inverter as long as we're plugged into 30 amp power? Can you tell me where the converter is?
Old 04-14-2017, 08:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvcian View Post
Thanks SeaLevel!! So the AC should work without the inverter as long as we're plugged into 30 amp power? Can you tell me where the converter is?
Yes, the AC doesn't run off the inverter. It would run off shore power when you are plugged in. I'm not sure where the converter is located in your unit, but if that is the source of the fan noise, it may be under the bed.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:03 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Dunnellon , Florida
Thanks again for your help!!
Old 04-14-2017, 11:59 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Dunnellon , Florida
Thanks again SeaLevel! Another question: (hope you don't mind me asking too much)
Any recommendations for a cover for my FB23? Will be stored in Florida for the summer season...
Old 04-14-2017, 12:39 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
You shouldn't use any cover on the AS itself. That can scratch the clear coating. If you want it under cover, you need a tall carport/RV storage or put it in a garage.
mwkersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Converter is usually located under where the power panel is. In my 23D it is under the fridge.

The fan noise could be the inverter if you had that turned on even when on shore power.

Loud fan noise can also be heard from fridge fan for those units that don't have a roof fridge vent like my 23D.

Open a side vent on the outside behind the fridge and see if you can see a small fan there.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Oh, I also agree. No cover unless it is a free standing. Structure. You can buy a portable shelter of the AS is on your property. I thought about asking my storage place if they would let me put it up for my AS. They are between 500-$1000
Old 04-14-2017, 05:57 PM   #10
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
2014 23 FB here.

Your inverter is under the bed. The sound you are hearing is its cooling fan. The inverter takes 12 volts DC out of your batteries and converts it to 120 volts AC when the inverter is "on". If you are plugged in to shore power, turn off the inverter, it is not needed. Also, when you are not plugged in to shore power, turn off the inverter unless you are using it. If it's on, it still draws power from your batteries even if you are not using your television or other 120 volt appliance in the trailer. Keep in mind the inverter is only 1000 watts, so really is just useful for running the television and Blue Ray player. Things like coffee pots, hair dryers, etc draw more than 1000 watts so your inverter won't power them. Check the wattage draw on the sticker of any appliance you want to use to double check. The stock 1000W inverter is really just intended to run the entertainment center.

Everything in your trailer is 12V except the microwave and Air Conditioning, and electric use of the water heater. Everything else--lights, water pump, fridge (on propane setting), furnace, and water heater on propane setting--runs either off your batteries if you are not plugged in to shore power, or off your converter if you're plugged in to shore power. The converter takes 120V from shore power and converts it to 12V to run all the stuff I just mentioned, as well as run your battery charger.

The converter/charger is behind the grill/panel that is near the floor on the side of your trailer near under the refrigerator. There is also a cooling fan for the converter/charger which will come on from time to time, and you'll be hearing that as well.

When you are camped and plugged in to shore power, you can leave the battery switch on 'use' for a day or so to make sure the batteries are good and charged should you wind up needing them. Then switch to 'store', since you don't actually need them. In 'store' mode, the batteries are taken completely off line, except for the carbon monoxide detector which will draw a tiny bit of power.

When you get home and store it, a battery tender will keep the batteries charged. Some choose to unhook the terminals to avoid running even the CO2 detector while in storage. Not necessary for you if you keep a tender on the batteries. Do check the water level in your batteries at least monthly, and top off with distilled water if needed. Taking care of batteries is probably the biggest issue people have. Treat them well and they will last. Abuse them (running them down too low, letting water level get too low) and they won't last. Take care of them and they'll last for several years. Having said that, eventually you'll start reading threads about upgrading the stock converter/charger to a model that will do a better job of charging your batteries, and maintaining that charge. Probably not something you want to hear after buying a $72,000 premium travel trailer. I won't overwhelm you with that right now, but it is why I suggested keeping the battery switch in the 'store' position most of the time when plugged in, so they are taken offline from the charger. Please note that the light next to the use/store switch will be lit when you are plugged in to shore power, no matter which position the use/store switch is in.

NO COVER as others have stated. You will mar the finish when the wind blows. On a previous trailer I hung some Xmas lights from the retracted awning arms for a few days and wherever the wire was barely touching the trailer, there were rub marks on the finish. Just wash and keep a nice coat of wax on and you'll be fine.

Enjoy! You'll find this forum will be a great resource to learn all about your trailer, both things you want to know about, and many things you didn't even know you need to know.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:18 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Dunnellon , Florida
Many Thanks

Thank you all for your replies! 2014 23 FB Thank you too for all the helpful information. 1 more question for you all...the dealer we bought our AS from told us that if we were to use a battery maintainer, it has to be a "Zamp" brand. Any idea where we could find one of these?
Thanks,
cvcian
Old 04-18-2017, 08:23 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
They were probably talking about the Zamp plug and play kits at https://www.zampsolar.com/plugnplay-solar-maintainers/. They work, but they certainly aren't the only thing you can use nor do you have to use solar. You can hook a trickle charger/battery maintainer directly to the batteries. Just make sure if you have two batteries, you hook it up correctly to charge both properly. If only one battery it isn't a big deal. Also, make sure you get the appropriate type for your batteries (I.E., AGM or lead acid).

I recently bought an Optima battery maintainer that does both AGM and lead acid with really good reviews. You can find it on Amazon at Optima Digital 400 12V Performance Maintainer and Battery Charger https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DHGPVKI..._LfI9ybZDCJW05.
mwkersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:37 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Battery Tender makes a good relatively inexpensive good unit. Before I upgraded to lithium, I had this connected in my battery box full time, with the cord through one of the holes, and then I would just connect to extension cord when I was at home. Works well