Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2017, 07:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

some town , PA
Question New AS....What do I need?

This coming Friday (August 18th) my family and I are traveling from the Philadelphia area to Albany to pick up our new 2017 Flying Cloud 28 RBQ. This comes after long months of research and dreaming.

We're planning to a long weekend of camping in the area of Lake George (just north of Albany) right after taking possession of the unit. We are experienced tent campers but this will be our first Airstream or RV of any sort. I'd really appreciate any advise on what we will need for our first RV camping trip.

Many thanks in advance.
philly_air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:23 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by philly_air View Post
This coming Friday (August 18th) my family and I are traveling from the Philadelphia area to Albany to pick up our new 2017 Flying Cloud 28 RBQ. This comes after long months of research and dreaming.

We're planning to a long weekend of camping in the area of Lake George (just north of Albany) right after taking possession of the unit. We are experienced tent campers but this will be our first Airstream or RV of any sort. I'd really appreciate any advise on what we will need for our first RV camping trip.

Many thanks in advance.

Congrats! Will your campsite have any/all hookups?
ijoe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:24 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

some town , PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijoe13 View Post
Congrats! Will your campsite have any/all hookups?
Yes, I'm staying at a full hook-up site with water/electric/sewer. There is 50 amp electric and my new rig is equipped with 2 AC units and (as I understand it) wired for 50 amp.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:37 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Yes, I'm staying at a full hook-up site with water/electric/sewer. There is 50 amp electric and my new rig is equipped with 2 AC units and (as I understand it) wired for 50 amp.

Sounds like all you’ll need to bring is some good cuts of meat to grill and some marshmallows to roast!

You should review the various procedures you’ll need to perform when arriving and leaving. Also, making a list may help ensure you don’t leave anything that needs to be done out.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Over the years, we've come up with a list divided into two categories...one, things we leave in the trailer and two, consumables. Here you go, we call it our "If only I thought to bring..." list, and include it in our WBCCI Directory each year ~

If only I'd thought to bring...

Leave in the Trailer
The more stuff you dedicate leave in the trailer, the less there is to pack or forget!
Items that could be left in the trailer:

o Electrical tester (no point pulling into a spot if the power isn't working)
o 25' 30A extension cord
o 50' 15A extension cord
o 30A female to 15A male electrical plug adapter
o 25' freshwater drinking hose (at least 2)
o Water pressure regulator if the trailer doesn't have one.
o 10'-15' Sewer hose (at least 2)
o Trailer to hose coupler
o Hose to campground coupler
o Hose to hose coupler.
o Water thief adapter (for putting hose on non-threaded spigots)
o Hose “Y” for daisy chained water supply
o Leveling Blocks & Stabilizing Jacks
o Chocks
o 2' 2X12 board for jack foot
o Lock for coupler
o Bubble Level (for parking)
o Fire extinguisher
o LP Leak detector
o Weather alert radio
o 2 good flashlights w/spare bulbs & batteries
o Spares for all trailer bulbs and fuses
o Basic set of tools
o Bow saw
o Ax
o Shovel
o Roll of duct tape
o Roll of electrical tape
o Bundle of long cable ties
o Assortment of different bungie cords
o Sewing kit (pins, safety pins, needles, thread, spare buttons of different sizes)
o Tweezers
o Nail clippers & file
o Scissors
o Portable vacuum
o Folding travel clothes iron
o Clothes hamper
o Pots, Pans & Cooking Utensils
o Cast iron skillet or griddle
o Mini crock pot
o Hand Mixer
o Coffee maker or French Press
o Tablecloth, Apron, Oven Mitts &/or Potholders
o 4 each: large plates, small plates, bowls, glasses, coffee mugs, sets of flatware
o Bath towels, hand towels, washcloths
o Pillows. fitted sheets, top sheets, pillow cases or sleeping bags
o Comforter or Blankets
o TV, Sat Receiver, dish and cable
o ________________________________________
o ________________________________________

Consumables (check before departing):

o Paper Towels
o Paper Plates & Napkins
o Coffee Filters
o Garbage Bags
o Dishwashing Liquid
o Sponges/Scrubber Pads
o General Purpose Cleaner (409, etc) Windex
o Furniture/Dusting Polish
o Carpet/Upholstery Cleaner
o Laundry Detergent
o Bleach &/or Oxy-Clean
o Rolls of quarters for laundry
o Baking Soda
o Disposable butane grill lighters for lighting stove/oven, HWH, frig.
o Matches
o Bottle of distilled water for battery maintenance
o Insect spray (for around wheels, jacks)
o Surgical gloves for dumping
o Hand Cleaner or Sanitizer
o Bath Soap
o Shampoo & hair care products
o Razors/shave cream
o Toilet Paper
o Hand Soap
o Deodorant
o Kleenex
o Feminine products
o Makeup
o Tooth brushes, paste, floss, mouthwash
o Sunscreen
o Insect repellant
o Medicines
o Vitamins, etc
o Bottled Drinking Water
o First-aid Kit
o Holding tank chemicals
o Patio rug
o Folding Table
o Folding Chairs
o Outdoor Tablecloth
o Step Ladder or Stool
o Pet food, bowls, litter & toys
o Pet carrier (for emergency trips to the vet)
o 50' Garden hose w/nozzle
o Wash bucket
o Portable gas BBQ
o Generator and gas cans
o Lantern
o Books, Magazines, Games, Cards, Crafts, etc.
o Electronics: cellphone, Garmin, iPod, camera, Walkie-Talkie, CB Radio, PC, etc.
o ____________________________________

And finally, don’t forget your food and clothes...whew what a list!

It obviously can be "tweaked to fit" your style of Airstreaming. Good luck and have fun!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:08 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
2018 26' Flying Cloud
Brighton , Michigan
Great list above. Before you buy everything listed, get just what you need to get started safely.

My best advice is camp nearby in a full hook-up park (as you are doing) and "play" with your AS. Test every system, component, switch, appliance, door, drawer and connection. Use the AS and figure out what you need to live your style of camping. Make a list of got to have and nice to have, but not critical.

You will be amazed at the help other campers (AS and non-AS) will offer. If they see you are puzzled, concerned or confused they will assist. Backing, parking, unhooking, water and power connections, dumping, they have all done it and can spot a newbie. Take your time, go with the flow and enjoy the experience.

Welcome to the team.

Edited to add:
Make a laminated checklist for each phase of your trip.
1. Predeparture/Departure
2. Camp set-up
3. Camp departure
4. Post trip/storage

Go over each list twice with no interruptions and have a second set of eyes if possible.
Rivet Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:28 PM   #7
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Stuff...

I saw some good lists of tools and equipment in the "The Newbies Guide to Airstreaming" available on Amazon or the Airstream Store, and its' companion guide to maintenance "The Nearly Complete Guide to Airstream Maintenance" which talks about preventative maintenance and how to for the simpler things.

Pretty useful I think, basic for some but as a newbie myself I found it to be very good and plain language/easy to follow. Will supply lists of most likely stuff you'll want in your toolbag as well as other things for the special care of your new Airstream.... Should pay for itself I reckon

Recommend them both! Have fun!

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:37 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
oxx coffee maker
leatherman oht
biolite
paper towels
wine, wine opener, wine glasses
leica

it's not so much what you need as opposed to what you don't need. i would keep it light and minimal.
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:30 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
I have a VERY detailed checklist of everything we would need for our AS and many of our favorite activities (hiking, biking, kayaking, etc.) If you would like a copy, drop me an email at: sgraner@aol.com
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:50 PM   #10
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
here is a list when I got one year into mine.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ed-144940.html
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:59 PM   #11
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I copy all these lists and compare them to mine and refine same. Except for emergency equipment, if I don't use something for two years I take it out. My
TV and TT are ready to go anytime I need it. However, even though my wife has her own list, it still takes days for her to get ready travel. Ugh!
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:07 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
You NEED these: Pink Flamingos

Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:31 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Tent campers, huh? Take the same stuff except the tent and air mattresses. Go camping!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:04 PM   #14
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Philly, if this is a brand new unit, picking up from the dealer, you should spend the night at the dealership if possible or nearby and stay as long as it takes to make sure everything works. I traveled from NW Georgia to Tampa and even after spending the night after the several hour orientation and moving on to a great park an hour away, for a couple days, needed to return to the dealer to have a few things repaired and more questions answered. Get the owners manual from AS online and familiarize yourself with all the systems so you will better understand when they are showing you how everything works. Run the AC, the heat pump and the furnace. Run the water heater on gas and electricity. Same with the Fridge. All the other appliances from stovetop to oven and or microwave, need to be explained and used. Also the TVs, the radio and DVD player, speaker/woofer adjustments, ipods, etc. Hook up and unhook the trailer and the hitch you are using several times to make sure they are understood and test out the tongue winch to make sure it is working properly. Do all the lights, fans and water fixtures work as expected? Test your inverter and make sure you know how the HVAC thermostat functions. Do all the exterior hatches and their locks function properly? Check the tires and the spare. Get a good surge protector that also checks for low or improper voltage, grounds, etc. and a filter to make sure you don't fill your unit with crappy water with sediment.

There is a lot to absorb if this is all new to you. A good dealer should make this a good experience if they have done their homework. You need to do yours, too! Welcome to community and good luck!
davidrrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:23 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
An attitude of patience towards yourselves goes a long ways as you start to unravel a high speed information session into getting to fully understand all the systems in your new summer cottage on wheels that cheerfully generates a mini-earthquake inside when it goes down the road. So not only do you have to acquire "stuff", you also have to figure where to store it and how to wedge the "stuff" so it stays put.

There is no rush, so take it slow and easy and buildup your own routines that work for you. Make sure to concentrate on the job at hand and do not let a bystander's chatting cause you to loose your place during the check list work.

Some of the really critical items (like the complete hook up and brake checks) should be double checked by the partner to be sure all is okay (are the stairs in the stowed position?)

Good luck in your new adventure and welcome to the forums where everyone has an opinion and ideas to share, some of which may be useful to you.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:48 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

some town , PA
New AS....What do I need?

Thank for all your help in getting us ready for today! We are successfully set up and camping in upstate NY tonight. Our first night in the new AS!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0625.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	891.4 KB
ID:	292610Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0623.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	537.1 KB
ID:	292611
Old 08-18-2017, 07:04 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Thank for all your help in getting us ready for today! We are successfully set up and camping in upstate NY tonight. Our first night in the new AS!!
Attachment 292610Attachment 292611

Great - Enjoy!
Old 08-18-2017, 09:58 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2016 28' International
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
St Augustine , Florida
Wow great looking combo
ArkFortyCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:20 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Cypress , Texas
Great looking rig.

One thing I'm not sure anyone suggested to you above, but which we've (well, just me, as my wife "doesn't do sewer work") found very handy is a sewer evacuation system called the Sewer Solution (instead of the larger diameter drainage hoses). I read about it on this forum while gearing up, and have never regretted it, while seeing some people scratching their heads trying to get their sewer to drain when the dump connection is slightly uphill (rare, but I've run into in 2 of our 6 short trips so far). It is pricey, but to me personally, it has been worth it (no, I don't sell these things or have any affiliation): Hopefully, this video (which I haven't watched) will describe it well enough. Not a must have by any means, but seems to simplify things a bit.

Enjoy your rig!
kellycox7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 01:19 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
get a dyson v8 absolute, especially if you are in and out of it a lot. just go buy it and have mostly clean floors. i use it every day that i am on the road, and i also take wet paper towels and get the invisible grit that the dyson doesn't get.

those silver trailers really do look good. happy trails....
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote