Old 05-21-2019, 02:00 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Could be as simple as leaving the antifreeze winterizing valve before the pump in the wrong position. No way to know without an explanation/description from the OP.

smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:13 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Monument , Colorado
I appreciate the replies

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. I had plenty of opportunity to camp out in my driveway but didn't think of de-winterizing and testing the water pump before that first trip. I also like the suggestion of replacing parts myself when it's feasible. I think most of my frustration comes from expecting more from the dealer and whoever inspected the trailer when it left Ohio.

I agree with many others that Airstream is better than SOB, but (so far) not nearly enough to justify the price. Hopefully, as time goes on (we plan to use it for many years) I'll feel that the money was well spent. It's hard to imagine being in that place at the moment, but I take some encouragement from the experiences shared here.

Since the trailer is currently being serviced, I won't post the details that some have asked for in order to troubleshoot. I'd be happy to share what the problem was once I know, though, if anyone is interested.

Thanks again! One great thing I've noticed is that the owner community is very helpful, which is a plus.

Uncle Milky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:22 PM   #17
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Milky View Post
I bought a 2019 Flying Cloud 25FB Twin last November. I took it on its maiden voyage at the end of March. In addition to some minor defects, the water pump did not work. Of course, our first night was in a campground with no hookups, and that's our fault. Here's where the pain begins. I live in Colorado where there's one place to get warranty work done on Airstreams. It's 60 miles away from my house. I called them as soon as we got home in early April and they couldn't schedule service until mid-May. This is the third trailer I've owned and by far the most expensive. To put it in perspective, my old trailer was two feet longer, with a slideout and cost one-fourth as much as this new Airstream. In my opinion, Airstreams are not worth the money -- not even close. It's an overpriced trailer with low initial quality and I would not recommend them to anyone. Buy a motor home instead. Just my $.02.
Hi Uncle Milky,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issues you are having. We know its currently being serviced, but please do not hesitate to reach out so that we can help resolve and provide additional assistance. You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:47 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Let us know how it turn out, Uncle Milky. I'm sure all of us here hope you have a great experience.

Hopefully, if it was a case of user error, everything is working again, and you can chalk it up to experiential learning. If it was something on the dealer or manufacture end, perhaps they can learn from it and effect positive change for future owners.

If I was too quick to throw shade on AS, I apologize. Reading of a non-working water pump would only add to the list of issues Airstream currently struggles with as any forum reader here can easily and quickly discover.

Whether it's with tank vent pipes that were apparently misassembled, leaking showers,or the seemingly endless complaints dealing with (nest) and BaseCamp, Thor seems more interested in increasing numbers of trailers delivered, rather than decreasing the number of defects.

This concerns me because I like Airstream trailers and would not want to see the company suffer the fate of the domestic automakers who too late learned the lessons of how sloppy product leads to diminishing market share and how difficult it is to remove the stubborn stain on brand reputation. With a huge backlog of orders, AS management has every incentive to increase production rate. I wonder where the incentive is to decrease defects.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:10 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
So much of the experience begins with the dealer. I can say, with personal experience, that I would rather travel to SLC or Boise ID for sales and/or service than drive to the only dealer in Colorado.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:12 PM   #20
ZOZ
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Peru , Illinois
If It Ain't Fixed Don't Break It

To the OP, stick with the AS. We're here to help you. Stuff goes wrong. It's fixable. Don't give up on the AS just yet.

We are happy with our AS. Others here have helped many of us. Every day is a learning day. It's a learning curve. Best to you.

Randy
ZOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:15 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Monument , Colorado
just heard back from the dealer

For those who asked, the water pump would turn on and run, but mostly air would come out of the faucets. The water tank was 80% full and this is supposed to be a self-priming pump (although few people have suggested otherwise here). Anyway, the problem was the pump itself. They are replacing it within the next two days.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:52 PM   #22
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Milky,

Since so far as I know the only Airstream dealer in Colorado for many years is Windish, I presume you bought it there. We bought an Airstream from them in 2007 and it was not set up properly. The dealer is supposed to go over the trailer once it is delivered to them. At one time Airstream paid dealers to do that, but I don't know if they do it now. It did not appear a thorough final check was done. When we had issues, and we had a lot of them, they were difficult to work with. They also damaged the trailer by backing another trailer into it. After several bad experiences, we never went back and took the trailer to Jackson Center for warranty work—the shop there was a lot better. We turned the trips to Airstream into part of a travel experience, but not everyone has the time for that. It was 1,400 miles to Airstream one way.

I see some posters seem to attack you. I can understand you being upset at purchasing a so-called "premium" trailer and having problems. We had many over the first years and considered getting rid of it. We kept it for 10 years and put 63,000 miles on it. We had mixed experiences. Certainly it tows easily and looks cool. But, many owners have troubles with them and many do not. The number of threads on this Forum telling about problems (low quality workmanship and materials) are many. Thor Industries, the owner of Airstream, has a reputation of manufacturing mediocre or worse RV's. They have made a lot of money that way.

Some owners claim that all RV's have problems. A lot do and industry standards appear to be about where car manufacturers were a generation or more ago. But there are some better manufacturers out there. Our Nash trailer has had relatively few problems and has better insulation and windows, more space, a power awning, ducted air, a slide and real sofa in it, wider queen bed, is easier to winterize and summerize. It is harder to tow and the more square shape eats more gas. With all that, it is Northwood's cheap model (Arctic Fox is their premium brand). It cost less than half what we paid for our Airstream and I'm sure that Airstream model is a lot more now.

There are Airstream "fanboys" who get upset when someone says not all Airstreams are great. There are also people who have had good experiences and I don't think of them as fanboys, but perhaps luckier than us and others. A fanboy attacks someone for valid questions about awful experiences. That is not fair. A dozen years ago I wrote here that our very expensive trailer was badly prepared and had other problems. Someone said maybe I should sell it and wasn't too happy with my post. Later we became friends and we visited him and his wife a couple of years ago. So some things work out.

On our first trip to Jackson Center, after scores of things had broken, failed or been trouble, somewhere in Kansas, while every day one or two more things broke, my wife, who had so badly wanted this design icon, was crying in the trailer about all the problems and asking if we should sell it. Of course, if anyone makes my wife cry, I want to strangle them (Airstream executives didn't know their lives were in danger), but I told her that we had to see this out, get things fixed at Airstream and if we sold it we would lose a lot because depreciation. We did see it out and kept it. We had to make another trip to JC. We enjoyed the trailer, fixed many things (it does help if you can do that since like you we usually have lived far from dealers of any sort), and after ten years decided we needed a little more space. The fridge had been acting up and since the fridge confounds me, I didn't want to have to spend around a grand on a new one, so we agreed it was time to let it go. We got a very good price for it and bought the Nash for a lot less. So we ended up with another new trailer (and fridge, the Norcold seeming a better one that the Dometic), money back and some nicer things for a lot less. So, Milky hold on. Consider going to JC for repairs, or possibly any other dealer—I guess Albuquerque would be the nearest. An RV shop in Colorado Springs used to sell Airstreams a decade ago (International something) but I can't find them anymore. You can check with Airstream customer relations about going to a non-Airstream dealer (they do authorize that sometimes), but with Windish all over the Front Range, I think that would work.

You live close to Zep, a long time Forum member who has restored a lot of trailers. I can't spell his Forum name, but it is something like Zeppiluminum. Good luck, it can get better. And a good water pump should cost more than $100.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:31 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Monument , Colorado
Thumbs up Thanks, Gene!

There was a lot to love about your whole post, and thanks for taking the time. I got some badly-needed perspective out of it. My favorite part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
On our first trip to Jackson Center, after scores of things had broken, failed or been trouble, somewhere in Kansas, while every day one or two more things broke, my wife, who had so badly wanted this design icon, was crying in the trailer about all the problems and asking if we should sell it. Of course, if anyone makes my wife cry, I want to strangle them (Airstream executives didn't know their lives were in danger), but I told her that we had to see this out, get things fixed at Airstream and if we sold it we would lose a lot because depreciation.
My wife badgered me for at least five years because she "needed" an AS. We went to look at them at Windish a few years ago and I was able to talk her off of the ledge back then, but the slick marketing and her need to look cool finally made it unbearable for me and I caved. I'm all-too-familiar with the rage that a crying wife can induce in the middle of a road trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
A dozen years ago I wrote here that our very expensive trailer was badly prepared and had other problems. Someone said maybe I should sell it and wasn't too happy with my post
I had someone in this very thread do the same thing. It's funny because it proves another point -- once you sign the paperwork they pretty much have you by the short hairs. I can either give away $10-20k by selling it now, or haul it all over the midwest to get it fixed. It's not as if I can just drop it at Windish and get a full refund. My wife and I both work full time and have school-aged children. If this was my only project I wouldn't mind becoming an expert and fixing a lot of this stuff myself (which I'll still do because I enjoy playing handyman).

One more note. Besides being farther away than I'd like and too busy to get my AS into their shop within a week or two, Windish has been fine so far. I'll know more when I pick the trailer up within the next few days, but I don't mean to trash talk them for things that are beyond their control. Now, if they've backed another trailer into mine then we'll have a problem!
Old 05-22-2019, 08:44 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
I can either give away $10-20k by selling it now, or haul it all over the midwest to get it fixed.
We bought our trailer used, so I have no way of knowing what the previous owners went through, but I can say our's has been trouble free. I can also say I've met a number of people with Airstreams camping. Some had minor issues like your water pump, but none yet have told me horror stories or needed to make a trip to Ohio. Not saying it doesn't happen, but so far the statistics point to more people coming online when there is a problem than coming online to say their trailer is just fine and their dealer does them right.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:47 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Monument , Colorado
agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
We bought our trailer used, so I have no way of knowing what the previous owners went through, but I can say our's has been trouble free. I can also say I've met a number of people with Airstreams camping. Some had minor issues like your water pump, but none yet have told me horror stories or needed to make a trip to Ohio. Not saying it doesn't happen, but so far the statistics point to more people coming online when there is a problem than coming online to say their trailer is just fine and their dealer does them right.
Absolutely. Someone casually reading the forums could definitely get a skewed perspective.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:55 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Quote:
Absolutely. Someone casually reading the forums could definitely get a skewed perspective.
Not sure I agree. I have been an owner for 6 years now, 6 or so rallies a year, plenty of interaction with other owners. Almost none of those owners post but almost all have had some or all of the usual problems reported on these posts. Some people have been to Jackson Center for repairs, especially during the warranty period, but most have taken their trailer to Out of Doors Mart(highly regarded if you do not mind the wait) or another stellar shop in Raleigh. One member is making a living improving things in Airstreams that the factory should have done right in the beginning.
The fact is, reduced to this simple explanation from me, owners tend to expect a level of quality, because of the price paid, that is not delivered. Some of it is poor design, most of it is poor execution and QC.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:19 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Uncle Milky,

We are neighbors as I also live in Monument. If you every need help with your Airstream, send me a PM.

DaveP
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:33 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Woodinville , Washington
Ray B.

“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948

That quote is usually attributed to Wernher von Braun:

https://www.google.com/search?ei=Omn...iz.RioBAGK5rkQ

Maybe he got it from Tex Johnston?