Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2019, 09:27 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
Buying a used surge protector may be a false economy, as the mfg. warranty from Progressive would probably not be transferable IMO.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:10 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmaester View Post
Not sure how to check if the converter is running, but I hear nothing if that indicates something.
Method 1: Plug in the trailer and check the voltage at the battery terminals. If 12.8 or less, your converter is not charging. If 13.2 or more, your converter is OK.

Method 2: Plug in the trailer. Turn the battery disconnect switch to "STORE." Turn on some lights in the trailer. If they come on, your converter is OK.

Quote:
You recommend the hard wired version?
I absolutely recommend the hard wired version. It is ALWAYS there, you can't forget to use it or say "I'll leave it off just this once." It can't "walk off." You can't forget and leave it laying at the campsite you left this morning. It is field serviceable by the user. If there is an issue, you don't have to go outside in the rain/snow to see what the issue is.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:12 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
z , Texas
Sorry for the confusion I got the two confused Mike
5150mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:35 AM   #24
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
You recommend the hard wired version?
I use and recommend the portable unit. I don't like the constant hum of the hard-wired version inside the trailer. The Progressive RV EMS has a metal tab that you can use to lock it to the power pedestal.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:24 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Zeppelin View Post
I highly recommend getting a good surge protector - one that checks the circuit before letting the little electrons into your trailer.

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I...ay&sr=8-2&th=1
I whole heartily agree. Get a surge suppressor before you do anything like this again. It has saved my AS from bad power numerous times. As others have said, wiring for campers is different than a lot of people, including some electricians, think.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:53 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
2021 30RB Classic
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Texas
I’m curious Bobbio, did you permanently attach the power chord to your Airstream so you wouldn’t forget it

I live and work in an RV park and if you happened to leave your surge protector behind, we would call you and let you know that you did so you could come back and get it. However, if you leave your water pressure regulator attached to our hose bib, you are SOL. Good news is, if you left your water pressure regulator at the last camp site, no worries, we have lots of extras.

Since were on the subject, did you know that at least 90+ percent of our RV Park guests don’t even use a surge protector? The 30 and 50 amp outlets in our top rated RV park are so old that we can’t purchase exact replacements for them anymore. electrical oliving in my second Airstream. surge protector isn’t going to protect your power chord.
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:06 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Talking

Sorry . . . can't resist . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by twbucksr View Post
I’m curious Bobbio, did you permanently attach the power chord . . .
. . .
. . . surge protector isn’t going to protect your power chord.
Is this band playing a power chord?

It appears to be surging!

Old 04-12-2019, 05:33 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
I’m curious Bobbio, did you permanently attach the power chord to your Airstream so you wouldn’t forget it
No.

Quote:
Since were on the subject, did you know that at least 90+ percent of our RV Park guests don’t even use a surge protector?
So?

Quote:
electrical oliving in my second Airstream.
What is "electrical oliving"?

Quote:
surge protector isn’t going to protect your power chord.
True, so?
Old 04-12-2019, 11:09 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Marysville , Washington
I replaced the converter today, all good there. WFCO 9855 deck mount, real easy install. I took the convection microwave to a local appliance repair shop where they discovered just a burnt internal fuse. So good to go there as well. Finally, I had electrician come back and rewire it properly to 30amp 120v then checked the compressors which both kicked on and pumped out nice hot air. Lucky those didn't burn out. Everything else is good to go. Bought that surge protector, will use from now on. Thanks for everyone's input, loving this airstream community.
grandmaester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:19 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the update, glad it all worked out.

A reminder from Post #20 to check the 120-volt operations of the fridge and water heater [one or two heating elements?].

Happy trails!

Peter
Old 04-17-2019, 12:06 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rock Hill , South Carolina
Wired wrong

Hard to believe selling dealer didn't go over unit and verify that all systems were working upon delivery. That being said, electrician probably wired your RV plug to 220, this happened to my brother, but didn't do anything but trip some breakers, best I remember he had to replace fuse in converter. Should Absolutely get a plug in type tester for 30 amp service and always check any campground plug before using it. Its definitely worth the money and can save some headaches.
upszeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:36 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by upszeke View Post
Hard to believe selling dealer didn't go over unit and verify that all systems were working upon delivery. That being said, electrician probably wired your RV plug to 220, this happened to my brother, but didn't do anything but trip some breakers, best I remember he had to replace fuse in converter. Should Absolutely get a plug in type tester for 30 amp service and always check any campground plug before using it. Its definitely worth the money and can save some headaches.
True. Even though I have a Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C installed which is "supposed" to protect me from stuff like over voltage, under voltage, reversed wiring, open ground, etc., I still plug this in first, every time:

Old 04-17-2019, 09:48 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Thornton , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
True. Even though I have a Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C installed which is "supposed" to protect me from stuff like over voltage, under voltage, reversed wiring, open ground, etc., I still plug this in first, every time:

I put one of these together fifteen years ago. We ALWAYS check the power post, before connecting, even in the best (looking) parks. As the old west gunslingers purportedly notched their pistol grips for each kill, our home-made voltage/polarity checker now has six notches, for six electrical supply issues.
[emoji41]
Silverpuller is offline   Reply With Quote