Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2018, 07:48 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Mounting a second fire extinguisher in 2017 Flying Cloud 23FB

I have always been dissatisfied with a single fire extinguisher, located by the entrance door of an RV. I have always mounted a second one in the bedroom so if a fire breaks out at night, I can use it to help us get out. I have bought a 2.5 pound extinguisher and now need to mount it in the bedroom. Has anyone found a GOOD place in the 23FB bedroom to mount one?
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:07 AM   #2
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Have not, but it's on the todo list. Depending on what you store under the street side closet, that might be a good location. Out of the way and protected from wayward toes. Alternatively, the area under the TV is also a possible solution. It's close to the exit and protected by the TV. The panel that covers the access to the water heater valves may be best. Mounting it on the right and tucked in close to the accordian door below the drawers gets it clear of traffic and close to hand.

One thing to consider is that a good fire does not yield to the limited quantity of extinguishing material in a small unit. Also, a powder unit is going to add particulate to the mix of hazards you need to deal with as you make your way out of the coach. A gas type haylon replacement extinguisher may be a better solution, but there are issues with them as well. Bigger can be better if you have the strength to handle it. Alternative to bigger is multiple extinguishers.

If you have never used an extinguisher, it's worth practicing to get the experience. Fire departments often give instruction.

Remember that your objective is to get out and away from the hazard. Fighting the fire should only be done as a tactic to escape the hazard.

There is a boating practice where a small port the size of the extinguisher nozzel is made to allow extinguisher material to be sprayed inside the compartment without opening it. The hot water tank and under bed areas might be possible targets. A plug of some type is used to close up the port.

Good luck with the project. Hope to see your smile down the road. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:14 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have always carried an additional fire extinguisher in the bedroom of the Airstream. We keep it in one of the overhead cabinets over the beds. It is right in front when you open the cabinet.

Thanks for your post. It made me take a look at the bedroom extinguisher when I went to take the photos. I found that this extinguisher had expired about a year ago. I am ordering a new one today.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2356.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	311213   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2357.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	311214  

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
I have finally found where I wanted to mount my bedroom fire extinguisher. I bought a 2.5# 1-A:10-B:C extinguisher from First Alert and mounted it inside the compartment where the water heater is. The mount is screwed to the wall on the bed side of the compartment. The extinguisher is not touching anything else in the compartment and is about 3/8" above the floor of the compartment.

Old 05-22-2018, 04:22 AM   #5
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Click image for larger version

Name:	product_100secs-500x5001-500x500.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	311682

This Extinguish Stick is a good, compact fire extinguisher for a confined space like an Airstream as it doesn't leave any residue like a chemical extinguisher. Designed for use in space.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:47 AM   #6
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Yikes, they need to get that price down some...

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Attachment 311682

This Extinguish Stick is a good, compact fire extinguisher for a confined space like an Airstream as it doesn't leave any residue like a chemical extinguisher. Designed for use in space.
$129.99 vs the $26 I paid, I'm good. If my RV is on fire, the fire extinguisher residue will be the absolute least of my worries.

But, thanks.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:09 AM   #8
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
$129.99 vs the $26 I paid, I'm good. If my RV is on fire, the fire extinguisher residue will be the absolute least of my worries.

But, thanks.
Small price to pay for 100 seconds of residue free fire supression (about twice the capacity of a large 30 lb extinguisher). Not sure how effective your 2.5 lb extinguisher will be in saving your life.

Not all fires involve the complete RV at first. For example if something were to catch fire on the stove I would prefer to extinguish that small fire and not at the same time damage the rest of the trailer. I've seen the mess that a dry chemical extinguisher can make.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Wink

Quote:

But, thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Small price to pay for 100 seconds of residue free fire supression (about twice the capacity of a large 30 lb extinguisher). Not sure how effective your 2.5 lb extinguisher will be in saving your life.

Not all fires involve the complete RV at first. For example if something were to catch fire on the stove I would prefer to extinguish that small fire and not at the same time damage the rest of the trailer. I've seen the mess that a dry chemical extinguisher can make.
If the fire is on the stove, I will just cover it with a skillet lid.

I am not looking to put out the fire, I am looking to get out of the RV safely.

You presented a valid alternative, and I thank you for it. However, please accept my rejection of it.

I think we should just agree to disagree. (Unless, of course, you want to buy one and mail it to me. ) Have a good day.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:10 AM   #10

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:

But, thanks.
There is a 50 second one for $100, which still is a long time for small fire suppression. Not a bad price for not having to worry if you fire extinguisher is out of date either. Looked at the one that came with my 2016, and found it was bad.

Matti
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:16 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
If nothing else this thread is a good reminder to check our existing extinguishers!
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:47 AM   #12
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Cheap investment that can save your life. Just like a boat, it is a good practice to review where safety equipment is with any guests too.
Good place to repost the Kidde Fire Extinguisher Recall info.
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:28 PM   #13
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Good time to discuss the sensors - CO2, LPG, smoke - a complete system all the time. And until you have tried to extinguish a fire you can not believe how hard it is once one gets started. Use the extinguisher to escape, not to fight. Your fire fighting should be prevention! Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Mounting a second fire extinguisher in 2017 Flying Cloud 23FB

Yup. Having an extinguisher at the far end from the exit door is a good idea. And PKI is exactly right. The extinguisher is for beating a path to the door for the occupants, and getting outside is the goal. The AS is just “stuff”, people, then pets to the exit, and the rest is then inconsequential.

I’ve personally fought fires. It took EVERY 10 pound dry chemical extinguisher (20 of them) in our building to put out a small fire. The FD couldn’t get there fast enough to do it, so we literally tossed people (frozen in fear) out the exits, and mostly ex-military types on our staff (including me) fought the fire.

Not recommended unless you are a) well trained, and b) like to spit up yellow tinged mucus for a week (extinguisher powder does not taste good). We got lucky and put it out, but we were ready to run for it if necessary.

Install 2 biggish extinguishers in both ends of your AS, and use them ONLY to bail out if it’s on fire.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:54 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
I have always been dissatisfied with a single fire extinguisher, located by the entrance door of an RV. I have always mounted a second one in the bedroom so if a fire breaks out at night, I can use it to help us get out. I have bought a 2.5 pound extinguisher and now need to mount it in the bedroom. Has anyone found a GOOD place in the 23FB bedroom to mount one?
I am the original poster, and I have quoted the original post here, adding emphasis to one sentence that has been present all the time.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Thanks to all for bringing this up.

Was noticing this outing that A- we don't have an extinguisher in the bedroom (AS issued one is by the door) and B -in the storage area on the exterior under the bed is where we keep a lot of stuff that would be flammable. So I just ordered up a 2-pack of the Tundra aerosols. Figure 1 in the bedroom and 1 by the cooktop.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote