Old 03-22-2018, 05:00 PM   #1

Wilmington , North Carolina
Mattress

Just bought a Flying Cloud 25FB, love it! Except the mattress. Is it a special mattress that I will get used to after 2 years? Does it have magical powers linked to the AS mojo? Or should I dump it for a memory foam mattress? Does anyone have recommendations? No budget constraints. Thx

sweetroels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 05:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Mattresses are very much a matter of personal preference. We are fairly comfortable on the standard mattress in the front bedroom, but the cushions on the dinette, made into a bed, are really uncomfortable...

Search the forums for an assortment of different options including custom ones...

2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:31 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Milford , New Hampshire
We also have a 25' FB with a queen and a couple of years ago replaced the original mattress. Bought one from Rocky Mt. Mattress, big improvement and they have the AS plans to contour it to the trailer like the original.
NHdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:05 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic S/O
Jackson , Mississippi
Try this thread. I just posted a question there myself. Good luck!

Trimming a Memory foam mattress
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/trimming-a-memory-foam-mattress-168284.html
Slide Out Society #72

Exploring the country in our beloved Monkey Barrel
nomadleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:05 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Apollo Beach , Florida
We replaced our FC25FB mattress with a 60x80" queen hybrid mattress from Sam's club to fit my 6' 5" height. We loved it so much we replaced all the mattresses in our home with the same mattress. Now we sleep equally comfortable at home as in our Airstream. Actually, I always sleep better in the Airstream!
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:05 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
We went to Costco and bought their 2" Nova? brand memory foam topper. Now we love the mattress, firm with just the right amount of give to take the edge off.
We bought the full mattress size,which is long enough, but comes up short about 2" on each side. This is fine for us because neither of us sleep right on the edge.

Matti
Mattirs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:52 AM   #7
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Right now, we are sleeping on Thermarest luxury map sleeping pads. Even those are better than the stock mattress.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:38 AM   #8
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
There is a "Consumer Reports" video on Youtube that while it does not give you theie specific data, there is a lot of information on mattress types and why one is better based on your sleeping style. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:24 PM   #9
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We tried the fanciest Denver mattress, from Lipper Components, for a while. Looks wonderful, feels good, appears to be well made. However, it was too soft for us. Two sleepers rolled together toward the middle, arms fell asleep at night, and we had to roll uphill to get back to the edge of the mattress when trying to get out of bed in the morning. This might be a good mattress for someone else, but it was not a good mattress for us. We returned it.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:09 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
We bought a mattress from Rocky Mountain Mattress five or six years ago. Good service. No regrets.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:51 AM   #11
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Id be debating this too but foremost in my mind is the bigger problem that the platform the front street side twin is on is not level. 🤨 It tilts towards the aisle so Im always feeling like Im slowly rolling off.. but the mattress seems ok otherwise to my tastes....

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:34 AM   #12
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by wave man View Post
-- snip -- the front street side twin is on is not level. -- snip --
Immediate fix is to layer some towels under the mattress. Then when you have time and budget, level the platform. Investigate to understand what is causing the issue as a foam mattress will sink around you and can cause the issue you mention, even if the platform is level. Depends on how you sleep on it. Had similar feeling. Moved away from side and issue improved.

Good luck on your problem solving. Convinced regular innerspring with good topper is the ticket. Pat
Old 03-29-2018, 09:21 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
mattress

Interesting topic. We went with the 'Bed in a box' memory foam mattress. We bought the Firmest one listed, in that shorter RV queen size.
Its in that bamboo fiber wrap stuff, suppose to be cool.
We had it a year in our previous travel trailer. When we bought the AS, we asked if we could swap mattress. The dealer said, heck yeah. Even helped me swap them.
Its a thick one, like 15 inches, you don't sink, it doesn't give, most comfortable. Queen sheets with deep pockets work well.
The only drawback, other than not wanting to get up out of bed, you have to really help the rear queen bed to lift and hold it, to get to storage below. made in east Tennessee.
Have a good one,
Old 03-29-2018, 10:55 AM   #14
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
And there you are. We have same mattress, but a full size queen. It does sink down, makes a hole and is difficult to move around. It's likely because I'm a big guy. It is better that stock, but should have been better if we had just known. Rookie error, right?

Figure out what works for you. We are all different and what works for me may be horrible for you. Sounds obvious, but the concept of "firm", "soft", "fluffy" all are polarizing and seem to draw us to the wrong solution. Spend time (hours) in a store and buy the one that is most comfortable for you. Pat