Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2019, 08:43 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaggs View Post
Yes I do. Thanks for asking. It is a 2000 v-10 Ford Excursion I bought brand new. I've got a buddy who owns a Ford dealership. I had four (4) boys and needed it for vacations to the beach. (At least that was my excuse to my wife instead of getting a Honda Odyssey). I've got a tow package, rear sway bar, rear spring helpers (I can't remember what they are called, but they are parallel springs that raise the rear so high I had to adjust my headlights), heavy duty Michelin tires (3rd set), steering stabilizer shock, Bilstein HD shocks (3rd set) limited slip differential, larger transmission pan, brake modulator, and assorted other do-dads. I've towed back hoes, Bobcats, 24 travel trailer through 6 states and a 03' Corvette ZO6 on my Featherlite open trailer. I know how to back a travel trailer into tree, also. I've got a mild form of dyslexia so I need a backup camera.

Spaggs
You are set!

As to back up cameras:
1) Back up cameras are nice. I use mine more when I'm actually driving to see traffic behind me; especially in city traffic. We have to drive through Milwaukee and Chicago to get to our daughters. Grueling trip. Without that camera it would be way more difficult. Makes it easier to change lanes when I can see what's coming.
2) Still need a spotter with the camera however. The camera is only an aid. I wouldn't even attempt without a spotter because the camera doesn't always pick up the trees. My camera has a speaker on it. So I can hear my wife.
3) Cameras are easy to install if it doesn't have one. I have the Voyager which has a nice large screen. There are others. I think most newer ones generally would have them. Standard on the new ASs. Probably because just about everyone wants them.
4) Cameras are wired for power, but are wireless to the screen in the TV. At least the one I have is.

To me a camera is really a necessity.

One other advantage of buying used: Previous owner probably has all the hoses, etc and if they aren't getting another camper it's nice to have all that stuff which adds up in terms of cost.

I bought mine new. I wanted that warranty because I really didn't know what I was getting into. I wanted to be able to call dealer and AS for warranty issues. And I had no experience towing a camper with weight distribution hitch etc. I would buy used today in a heart beat. In fact I ran across someone trying to sell a 2019 30'. It was very well equipped. But the price was 95,000. So it wasn't cheap, but cheaper than one on a dealer lot!
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:34 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
27’ trailers 2015 and newer have ducted air.
Our 2018 25’ FC (twin AC) is ducted.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:10 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Limited
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
santa rosa , California
You can buy wireless back ups cameras that display on you smart phone very cheap and no installation cost.
tojimmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:49 AM   #24
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

On trailer backup cameras also can be a hassle to use. The display has to go somewhere. Your dash may already be cluttered with a variety of this and that. We have a camera on the trailer. It does indeed work. We used it once or twice and then decided it was to much hassle.

The truck *does* have all sorts of cameras and I use those all the time. I could go to a camera on the trailer that linked to the truck's in-dash display. If I was going to use the trailer camera, that's the way I would go.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:33 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
"Since I do have a mild form of dyslexia, from 2015 to new, do all of the 27' Flying Clouds have the backup camera?

I guess my second question is, is the camera a hard wire or wireless?

And, what type/make of monitor for my Ex do you recommend?"

Our 2016 FC 27 FB did not come with a backup camera.

Here's the one I got and installed:

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safet...70613-213.html

Note: It is a hardwire system and has been bullet-proof for over 36K miles, although wiring it in the truck and in the trailer was a little tricky and took several hours.

Frankly, I seldom use it for backing up. I use it all the time when I am passing someone in a right lane to inform me when I have passed that person and can safely return to the right lane. I also use it while driving to tell me what if anything is behind me and if so how far back they are.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:36 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
We have a 27FB Classic and at the time it was our favorite layout. Our "problem" if you can call it that, is that there is no comfortable way to watch TV. This never occurred to us since we never watched TV in our class C. We've been really happy with the 27. If we were looking today we would probably go with the 26U. (which has a new designation I believe).
Good luck
Old 07-15-2019, 03:50 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Spaggs, congratulations on arriving at your decision to purchase an Airstream!
It sounds like you’ve done your homework on size. I can tell you from personal experience to get the one (size) you want the first time.

We bought a 2018 Flying Cloud 23FB because it fit within our tow vehicle’s max tongue weight. At the time we preferred the 25’ layout better but settled on the 23’ only to discover we didn’t like the U-shaped dinette. We’re now the proud owners of a 27’ Globetrotter and very happy with the layout and extra space.

Buying used will save you money as long as you’re willing to travel and possibly be disappointed after seeing it. Some people love “the hunt”.

I can tell you new sales are down and a good time to negotiate to the 20% off “sweet spot” discount. I talked to our salesperson a few weeks ago and he said sales were down significantly compared to last year. You might get a new 2019 or 2020 with a 3 year warranty and no wear & tear.

Happy Camping!
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:19 PM   #28
"Silver Shrek"

2000 27' Safari
Crestwood , Kentucky
Don’t buy a trailer that has been long in proximity to salt water.
drairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:48 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Glen Rose , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
You want a well maintained coach with the features you see as important.

For two, a 25,26,27,28 - older 29/31 will work. I like the 27 best, but you may find just the right deal on any of the others.

Easiest to maintain is one that has been maintained. Take care that the changes implemented are safe and effective. The shade tree mechanic that uses substandard materials and fixes is not good. The shade tree mechanic that understands safe and effective procedures for repairs and upgrades can produce better work product than the professionals. Knowing the difference is the challenge. There are inspectors who can help.

The good thing is that if the rig was kept dry - inside storage - most of the other maintenance can be cost effectively addressed, if the coach is purchased for a reasonable price.

Now - go back to the post on ducted air. That is key - if you plan to use AC, it makes a real difference. Also, single or dual AC can be a consideration. Living in a coach is different from traveling a few weeks a year. Make sure you do not want a four season trailer. That moves your a different direction.

There is a lot of information in the forum threads. Do as much research as you have time to absorb. There are several forum members who have had good service from their 27s. Many report issues that they have resolved.

When full timing, you need an exit strategy. Don't ignore that issue. Someday you will quit moving so much. It may be by choice, happenstance, or misadventure. A plan smoothes out the bumps.

Good luck with your investigation. Pat
This is extremely good information. While navigating the Forum for assistance, remember the owners/respondents are individuals who have experienced just about everything and are indicative of their successes or failures based on their opinion and what worked in their specific instance.

I own a 28' Flying Cloud and we were new into the Airstream community 5 years ago. Dual ducted air is essential (as mentioned in this thread) and especially so in the South or Southwest.

I made some improvements from reading the Forum - upgrading tires and wheels to 16" Sendels and Michelins; dual AGM 6V batteries; improved weather stripping; upgrading converter to Progressive; and several other cosmetic and aesthetic items.

I look at the investment and am very particular about its care. It stays covered and is waxed on a regular basis.

If I were contemplating the sale of mine, the prospective buyer would be very pleased with the maintenance and upkeep I have given it.

Again, there is a wealth of information here to study but above all, take your time and don't get emotional or purchase impulsively.
SDP 28 FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:18 AM   #30

Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
I would go to a dealer and check out the floor plans you like. This is a big investment.

Do you have a tow vehicle ready to go? Have you towed before? If you find one you need to be on it ASAP.
Floor plans, floor plans ..one of the most important things to find out
AirDave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:08 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
We bought an FC 27 twin, new, in 2015. Very few warranty or QC issues. The twins give you longer beds, more floor space in the bedroom and more accessible storage inside and out. We full timed for 8 months, driving cross country and seeing just about every NP in California, Utah. Arizona, and Nevada. Then we returned to the East, where we have taken shorter trips to New England, Smokies, Blue Ridge, Outer Banks of NC. Last fall we did a second cross country trip and back, taking southern routes. We do have 2 a/c units but rarely use both (we don’t travel in summer). One unique feature of the FC 27 is that it has a full propane stove— with an oven, not just a propane cooktop with a microwave. Although we do carry a 2kw generator, we don’t like to have to depend on shore power.
The crew was me, my wife and our 90 lb. Golden Retriever.
If you’re bigger than 27 feet a lot of National Parks are going to be off limits.
I feel comfortable without a camera on the back of the trailer. Most of the time, I’m in the right lane; and I can judge the end of the rig pretty well. I observe a self-imposed speed limit of 60 mph or the posted limit, whichever is lower.
I can’t offer an opinion about new vs. used.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:35 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2022 28' Flying Cloud
GAINESVILLE , GA
I really appreciate the tip about 60 mph and staying in the right lane!
So, is 27' good or not so good for visiting state parks?
Thanks.
Spaggs
Spaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:45 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fresno , California
purchasing an Airstream

We bought our 2000 used 23" Safari a couple of years ago (with some oxidation). We absolutely love it. The only thing is that it has the oxidation. We thought it would just be a matter of having it buffed or shined out. We found out this is not how it works. You have to strip and shine the whole thing and then it will not look like the newer airstreams. It will look like an old one and then has to be buffed more frequently than we could do. We are now looking for alternatives to this.

I believe that the airstream is the best R.V. ever made and love owing one. Go for it! Just be aware of the comments you have read here and from the other helpful people.
Deb Hunt
The Silver Betty
Onegdnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:55 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Estes Park , Colorado
Purchasing

Becky And I searched for years for the right used AS. Nice ones were top dollar, there are no good deals on newer coached in good shape. AS hold their value. We bought new with the coach exactly how we wanted it.. no compromises anywhere.
Consider your tow vehicle
We absolutely love our 33 Classic
Mike0392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:34 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Winchester , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
We have a 2 year old 27' Flying Cloud FB Twin. It's hard to say which year is better, but ours has been relatively problem free. We had a brake issue- the star wheel adjuster came loose and made a LOT of racket as it rolled around inside the brake, but no problem since then. Hopefully, you can find one with comprehensive maintenance/repair documentation . . .
We have a 27 flying cloud. The dual axels keep it stable. The zip dee awning is not power in the clouds, and that is a good thing. The interiors a streamlined and very clean. We love ours. We did have to put down a floating Vynil floor which has worked out great. It preserves the original floor underneath, and does not require anything attached to the original floor. The cabinet hinges can brake easily, but other than that, it will last a lifetime. We have 2 A/C units - & we do recommend the newer models with ducted a/c. Make sure you turn ON the a/c before you buy to see if you can stand "non ducted a/c" (if it is an older model.
ida B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:30 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Limited
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
santa rosa , California
I have a question. What year did the ducted AC first become offered? I have a 2004 that is the widebody 30 classic with one single roof AC . Which I find is adequate but it is a little noisy.
tojimmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:34 AM   #37

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Newer ducted ac is quieter but not as efficient in my opinion.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:08 AM   #38
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There is no efficiency loss from the ducted air.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:35 PM   #39

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

There is no efficiency loss from the ducted air.

Bob

Had two identical units side by side, 27FB, one with ducted and one non ducted. Ducted still did the job but was definitely less efficient.
Your opinion may differ.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:40 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Personally I’d be happier with a quieter system.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote