Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2019, 11:15 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Looking for Non-invasive Entry of WeBoost into 19cb

I currently have a WeBoost Cell Phone booster that uses the magnetic antenna on the outside. Thus far I have simply closed the door on the rather thin cable leading to the WeBoost base which resides inside the trailer. Not the best solution, but has worked so far.

I am thinking of upgrading my outside antenna. This new antenna would have a thicker cable and shutting the door on it will not be an option. My question is this: Has anyone found a non-invasive way of leading wire into the trailer (Flying Cloud 19’)? I’ve seen references to pulling wire in through the Fridge vent somehow, but I don’t see how that is possible. Another thread was through the ceiling fan, but I don’t see how that would work without cutting a hole in the fan screen. Yet another thread mentioned going through the cable/satellite connector but that requires drilling another hole, and the WeBoost people say the wires aren’t designed to handle cell phone activity. Has anyone come up with a solution as yet?
tjwoods1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 11:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwoods1 View Post
I currently have a WeBoost Cell Phone booster that uses the magnetic antenna on the outside. Thus far I have simply closed the door on the rather thin cable leading to the WeBoost base which resides inside the trailer. Not the best solution, but has worked so far.

I am thinking of upgrading my outside antenna. This new antenna would have a thicker cable and shutting the door on it will not be an option. My question is this: Has anyone found a non-invasive way of leading wire into the trailer (Flying Cloud 19’)? I’ve seen references to pulling wire in through the Fridge vent somehow, but I don’t see how that is possible. Another thread was through the ceiling fan, but I don’t see how that would work without cutting a hole in the fan screen. Yet another thread mentioned going through the cable/satellite connector but that requires drilling another hole, and the WeBoost people say the wires aren’t designed to handle cell phone activity. Has anyone come up with a solution as yet?
I run mine through entrance of the storage compartment door. I then close the door on the cable. Seems to be plenty of room. Can actually leave it a bit loose if you want. I don't fully close the door on that side where I run the cable. Not a big deal. I then disconnect it from the antenna (which I put inside trailer) and store the cable inside the storage compartment. Not sure if that will work for your set up on a 19'.

I hook my antenna up to a suction cup which I mount on the windows. That's why I take my antenna inside. Seems to work OK for me.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:27 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Thanks - I found a way in as you described - through the back storage compartment door. I am curious as to how you attach the outside antenna with a suction cup. I would need to put my antenna on some kind of pole that attaches somehow?
tjwoods1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Thanks - I found a way in as you described - through the back storage compartment door. I am curious as to how you attach the outside antenna with a suction cup. I would need to put my antenna on some kind of pole that attaches somehow?

You can rig this up pretty easily.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Yet another thread mentioned going through the cable/satellite connector but that requires drilling another hole, and the WeBoost people say the wires aren’t designed to handle cell phone activity.
Based on previous posts, I was planning to do just that. Anybody with knowledge in these matters explain why the Furion satellite coax connection (is it a Cat 5?) not be able to properly handle the Weboost signal?

This is surely the least invasive option and does not require the drilling of any holes if you use the most powerful Weboost RV 65 model. And in my AS it allows me to place the indoor antenna way up front of the trailer where the satellite cable comes out (under the DVD player) and the Weboost extensible pole antenna at the back thereby maximizing the distance between both (when pole is extended) which is a requirement.
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:16 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
I used the satellite connection on the side of the trailer for the WeBoost connection. I have the external antenna on a pole that can be extended up to 25 feet high.The end of the satellite cable comes out in the compartment above the DVD player although I had to remove the shelf insert above the DVD player to find it and pull it out from a hole in the wall. This is easily connected to the WeBoost amplifier which also can be plugged into the AC outlet in the same compartment. I also usually leave the internal antenna in that compartment although I have lowered the internal antenna a few times to improve reception. I set up the cell phone as a hot spot and place it right next to the interior antenna.

It has worked great. I have an unlimited data plan on cell phone so as long as I am in an area with 4G, I can watch separate streaming television shows or YouTube on each TV simultaneously by using Amazon Fire Sticks.

One more tip: the external antenna should be installed at the opposite end of the trailer from the internal antenna to avoid interference.
jnm30327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:55 AM   #7
Hotfoot

2002 25' Safari
Santa Ana , California
Cell booster

sounds like a lot of good choices
a couple notes on the cell system:
It very high frequency and very low power, using correct cable as short as possible very important, having connections and longer runs degrades gain. The inside antenna works great up close and if you read the specs doesn't work much past 6-8 feet, also most are patch type and directional. If in a marginal area, you can buy an outside directional antenna that will drastically work much better with weak incoming signal.
hotfoot
hotfoot88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:55 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Perfect! Thanks, exactly the setup I was planning. Hope this is helpful to Tjwoods1.
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 12:09 PM   #9
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
The various Weboost models, both current and in the past, used two different type of cables. A small 50ohm cable (RG58) and a 75ohm cable (RG6) from the booster to the exterior antenna. RG6 is also used for the satellite connector on the AS and connections are with F connectors. RG58 uses SMA connectors. For best operation you should use the same type of antenna ohm cable as speed for your booster.

And with the latest release of the WeBoost reach they have a new connector, SMB Plug, added to the mix. There are adapters for the SMB plug. The Reach is a 50ohm antenna.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 04:19 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
The various Weboost models, both current and in the past, used two different type of cables. A small 50ohm cable (RG58) and a 75ohm cable (RG6) from the booster to the exterior antenna. RG6 is also used for the satellite connector on the AS and connections are with F connectors. RG58 uses SMA connectors. For best operation you should use the same type of antenna ohm cable as speed for your booster.

And with the latest release of the WeBoost reach they have a new connector, SMB Plug, added to the mix. There are adapters for the SMB plug. The Reach is a 50ohm antenna.
This is important to understand. I use my Weboost in my pickup for better cell reception since I need it for work. Then move it to the AS when necessary (not always necessary) to strengthen signal in the Airstream. You can’t use the cable connection and attach it to the cable tv inlet because this type of Weboost uses the RG58 cable.

If you get the Weboost for in-home installation that uses the RG6 type of cable. This type of Weboost cannot be used in moving vehicles, but can be used in RVs. If I was traveling more I would get this type of Weboost system. But by the time you buy it and get the cables, antenna, etc. you are over $600. I just wasn’t going to spend the extra money at this time. For one thing most of the time we don’t actually need the weboost in the AS. But the in-home weboost would work better inside the Airstream.

Having said that I do believe there are some connectors and adapters that can make the car weboost work with the RG6 cable and 75ohm antenna. I just haven’t dug into it. Best thing to do is call the Weboost tech support. They could probably help you out.