Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-26-2016, 11:15 AM   #1

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Leaks and condensation

We are out on our second run in our 2016 FC 25ft rear bedroom and it rained all night. This is rather fortuitous in that the leak we found the first time had not been fixed. The first leak is around the left side of the door looking out at the seam about 3/4 of the way up. The fix the dealer did was check the running light above the door and recock the awning and door area. Found a new leak in the bedroom at the foot of the bed right side of the window at the seam, any ideas on this one?
Next question how much condensation should be forming on the inside of the trailer? A lot formed at the leak sites but there were a number of other places had it on the walls and near the window frames. Trailer was sealed due to rain heat pump was set at 52 but I do not think it ran over night. How much should I expect?
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Crack a window or a vent or two. A little fresh air will help keep down the condensation. Also check under your bed for condensation build up.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We are presently camped in Monterey, and have the exact same model Airstream with similar issues in the first years. And it rained all night.

We have found minor shell leaks (probing through the vinyl floor into the plywood subfloor with an inexpensive Sonin moisture detection meter) by the door and the rear of the trailer under three of the awning support brackets. They leaked through/around the rivet and screw holes holding the brackets on. I sealed them and all is good, but I still routinely check the floor for moisture.

We have had the heavy interior condensation as well. Here's what we do. I installed MaxAir II vent covers over the roof vents so we can open them as needed during rainy weather so the Airstream can ventilate. If there is no heavy wind, we can open the bath and shower vents to further ventilate those areas. We avoid cooking that releases lots of steam if it's raining, take short showers and always squeegee the shower stall dry after use.

We don't like the noise of the heat pump and use a Dyson Hot space heater instead, it also releases the heat at floor level and maintains more even temps throughout the trailer. And it seems dryer. We use an electric blanket on a low setting to keep the bed warm with low interior temps for sleeping.

We have had no interior condensation on the walls or windows in most climates, sometimes a little on the edges of upper windows during the night. In cold, humid rainy weather in the midwest we had condensation on the lower rear wall behind the queen bed that was heavy and leaked down into the plywood subfloor (showed on the moisture meter when I probed it).

I think this was poor air circulation back there, I haven't found a permanent solution because it is rare. I have taken out the screws in the floor/wall vinyl trim piece, lifted the vinyl slightly with a few plastic wedges spaced along the back, so if there is moisture there it can dry out before it rots the plywood floor. It looks fine because back there you can't see the screws are missing.

I think of the various solutions, the vent covers allowing open vents in the rain are the best by far.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote