Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2019, 11:31 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Install a Back Off

Has anyone installed a Signal Dynamics - or similiar brake Back Off Module on your Airstream Trailer .

This is so when the Tow vehicle brake lights are engaged the trailer brake lights Flash? It's pretty easy on a Harley or Gold Wing. And it is a good safety item.

Don’t know how many times I have had to brake hard and I see in the rear camera the nose dive of some one up to close.

This would be for a 2019 Flying Cloud twin Ft Bedroom or close vintage. I could install on the Tow Vehicle but would rather tie in to the Trailer harness within the trailer.

I have not located the wiring harness yet inside the trailer. Thats because I’m lazy and would rather go to the forum for good advise before I go digging.

Appreciate any help.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Flashing brake lights

Laws vary from state to state pertaining to the flashing brake light modules. There are rules as to how many times it can flash before going solid, the duration of each flash, etc. Just like some states do not allow a headlight modulator on vehicles. Very distracting.

I would check with your state pertaining to the restrictions on these type of modifications before investing time and $$$.

This is coming from someone that is a lifelong motorcycle rider that has owned many different brands of bikes. Never found it necessary to have flashing brake lights or a headlight modulator. However, when I ride it is ATGATT.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
You would have to install this module after the brake wiring from the umbilical to your trailer brakes in the line that goes to the brake lights. Would take a bit of wire tracing to find the wire that feeds the brake lights.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
There is no substitute for very careful and proactive driving in crowded traffic. We were rear-ended a couple of years ago by a tailgater, and we have become very defensive drivers as a result. When approaching any slowdown of traffic ahead, or a traffic signal which might turn red, we slow down early and put on the emergency flashers. If someone tailgates we put on the brakes very gently and further lower our speed.

If you leave enough time and distance to slow everyone down, it works fine.

If not, you can often pull over and let the hot-head go by. Frustrating but better than the nightmare of damage, physical therapy, and insurance hassles caused by getting hit from behind.

No fun.

Peter

PS -- Installation of a back-off device would promote driver complacency IMO, thinking that one had things covered. No thanks. The rhythmic blinking would also tend to mesmerize the drivers behind IMO.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Rear Ended

Good advise all. Appreciate it

I was not aware of the flashing light laws. I see third brake lights that now flash from the factory on some vehicles. I am putting one of those on my F-250 High brake light.

I’m just a little frustrated now. No Im really just MAD! Our brand new truck is out of commission till July. We were pulled off 75 in Ocala Florida for accidents and while stopped in traffic on the exit road we got rear ended. Took out the tailgate rear lens bumper and the Hitch may be bent.

Guy had insurance admitted fault, insurance company admitted his fault as well as trooper report but were sitting home no Airstream trip.

I guess tapping the lights would work just as well. I drive very conservative try to leave room and the few bad drivers still seem to surf in from of you or tailgate.

At least the trailer was home in storage it was not hurt.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is a Highway View Post
Good advise all. Appreciate it . . .
. . .
At least the trailer was home in storage it was not hurt.
Sounds familiar . . . glad you are OK.

Our van was totaled but it took months for the insurance to get straightened out, and to order a new van with the correct tow package.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Perhaps a low tech solution, like this:

greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:22 AM   #8
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Second the emergency flashers. Task is assigned to the navigator. If you have a tail gater, slow down.

Note, the folks you collect on your rear bumper are quite often just not looking at you until it's too late for them to stop. So that flasher system is only as good a solution as the attention span of the folks behind. Now if someone could invent a system that applied their brakes for them ....... soon too be mandatory. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:50 PM   #9
Airstream'n Bachelor

2018 30' Classic
Pine Ridge , Florida
Flashers

in Florida it is against the law to use your flashers unless you are stopped. Driving down the road with your flashers on will get you a ticket.
Kentbrookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:02 PM   #10
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
In NYS on the hills along the Thruway the signs say "under 40mph" use flashers. I guess Florida has no hills where anyone goes under 40

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:30 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Saint Joseph , Michigan
funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentbrookin View Post
in Florida it is against the law to use your flashers unless you are stopped. Driving down the road with your flashers on will get you a ticket.

just last month we were on FL I-95 when it started raining, not a big deal, but almost every car turned on their emergency flashers...
TruckerFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:54 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckerFritz View Post
just last month we were on FL I-95 when it started raining, not a big deal, but almost every car turned on their emergency flashers...
...as they drove under the huge variable message signs that say

DRIVING IN RAIN
WIPERS ON
FLASHERS OFF

Drives me insane every time I see it. People are clueless.

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:33 PM   #13
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
To Install a flasher in the TT stop light wire, look inside the front of TT where the umbilical cord joins the TT wiring harness. It is probably a plastic box about 4 X 6". Have someone press the press the brake pedal while you test for the hot lead. There will be two hot leads unless you pull the fuze on the 12 volt TV to TT feed. Or turn on the hazard lights and find it that way. The hazard lights flash the stop lights which is what your trying to do on the TT. I will agree that flashing lights indicate a hazard ahead, while a steady on stop light indicate a stop!
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:03 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Back off and Flashers

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghoro View Post
Perhaps a low tech solution, like this:

Now that’s funny!

We moved from Skaneteles NY to Florida
and every time it’s a zero visibility down pour I reach
For the flasher switch. Years of NY training. I was also
Told in Florida it’s a ticket to blow your horn unless it’s for
being stranded. Florida police could fund the entire state if they
enforced that one.

As posted I guess the best advice is to quick tap the brakes or hit
The flashers. Airstream could use a third high mount brake light
with a once per hit quick flash. Appreciate all the comments and advise.
Makes waiting for the Body shop appointment on June 24th go by faster.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Note that on a car, the turn signal light bulbs are different from the brake light bulbs. On a trailer they are the same. The trailer does not have a "brake light" wire in the umbilical.

So what do you want to happen when the turn signal is on and you are also slowing down?
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I believe, but could be wrong, that these flashing brake light devises are for vehicle third brake lights or vehicles like motorcycles with only one brake light. Remember that your brake lights, on your trailer, are also your turn signal lights. This could be a problem.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 01:28 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I believe, but could be wrong, that these flashing brake light devises are for vehicle third brake lights or vehicles like motorcycles with only one brake light. Remember that your brake lights, on your trailer, are also your turn signal lights. This could be a problem.
I personally want tailgaters to see the lid on my bumper open, and a tiny rocket launcher rise from the bumper, and eight little teensy rockets start to track the driver who is following, then soew flame and fly right at him. Of course they would be made of foam rubber... or perhaps I could just launch giant rubber tarantulas.

Might have watched too many James Bond movies in my youth.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I personally want tailgaters to see the lid on my bumper open, and a tiny rocket launcher rise from the bumper, and eight little teensy rockets start to track the driver who is following, then soew flame and fly right at him. Of course they would be made of foam rubber... or perhaps I could just launch giant rubber tarantulas.

Might have watched too many James Bond movies in my youth.

Hi, Paula; I always wanted a rocket launcher on the hood of my car for people doing 20 MPH in a 45 MPH speed limit.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:32 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I want the flip-down front turn signals that expose a pair of .30 cal machine guns for that purpose.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:48 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, Paula; I always wanted a rocket launcher on the hood of my car for people doing 20 MPH in a 45 MPH speed limit.
For a brief period in my youth, my only vehicle was a motorcycle. In the 1960s and 70s a female rider was rare and often drew gawkers who tailgated. A plastic tarantula tossed at the windshield... worked well until one day the tailgater turned out to be 2 plain clothes cops. After threatening me for 5 minutes, they did see my point at how dangerous it would be to be 10 feet behind me at 55 mph. Got off with a warning.

A real biker type told me a ball bearing would bounce off the ground and smack the windshield, resulting in a major crack.

I never found a good way to get dawdlers to speed up.