Old 09-14-2019, 11:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Ideas for cabinet above microwave?

This deep cabinet above the microwave is driving me nuts. It's the only place that makes sense for the Instant Pot, but the IP has to be removed to get anything out from deeper in the cupboard (two small frying pans, the muffin pan, the colander, some cutting boards. The top shelf is way too high for me. I have two pots with lids up there right now, and in the very back is my biggest frying pan.
My first thought is to put slide-out shelves in there so that I can at least reach everything. Good idea? Other ideas?

SnooMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
We use ours for food storage. I have a couple of plastic storage containers with lids that can stack one on top of the other.

I have things like crackers, ramen, mac and cheese, and other items that I feel OK leaving in the camper when in storage because they are in these airtight containers. The containers are clear so you can see what is in them.

It seems to work out pretty well. I have to take out one container to get the one underneath, but since they are fairly lightweight it's been pretty easy.

There is still room next to the containers for adding bread and chips that we use during a trip (but don't leave in the camper when in storage)

We keep our pots and pans either in the drawer by the door, or on the floor under the bench across from the sink.

Would you consider storing the instant pot either under the bench, or else under the sink by the glass door by the entry?

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:07 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
I would have the same issue with food storage that I have with the Instant Pot etc - I'd have to take stuff out to get to the stuff behind it. And I'm short.

I'm really thinking pull out shelves are the way to go, but was curious if anyone had done it and if it worked, or if I'm not seeing possible problems. I like the pull out shelves below the microwave; I wish they had installed them above also!
Old 09-17-2019, 05:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I would add that if you go this route you may want to improve the closure on the top cabinet to match what is on the middle and lower ones. Look carefully and those with a push button actually have a metal piece that they latch onto for a positive lock.

We have had a problem with our upper opening during travel when fully loaded. I have not yet come up with a way to have it stay closed better that can mount to the cabinet without major drilling. If you do find something please post this.

Based on our episode of cleanup of salad dressing all over the floor, I would be hesitant to store something as heavy and expensive as an instant pot there.

I refuse to put ugly velcro onto the cabinets because I think it will look terrible. But I have yet to find anything better. Still working on a solution to this problem,

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:34 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
On the bottom we store:
Plates, bowls, platters, napkins, pasta, unopened coffee.

On the top we store:
Long boxed items like aluminum foil, plastic bags, crock pot bags, large and small zip lock bags.
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote