Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-19-2018, 11:32 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Midlothian , Texas
how to keep mattresses from slipping?

Hi everyone! Happy Monday - our twin mattresses keep slipping on the wooden platform - every time you sit there for a bit or wiggle a bit, then the mattress is slipping over the edge

any suggestions on how to keep them in place?
1. put a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet underneath?
2. put hook/loop tape on the corners?
3. put rubber bat mats underneath?

we will accept any suggestions that have worked for you!!
TexasMarci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
We use a piece of the rubbery stuff you put under rugs to keep them from slipping.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:25 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
We have the twins in our 26U. Mattresses slid around. I covered the wood platform completely with rug gripper pads. I used spray glue on the wood. Or you can staple them down. Really helped with the sliding.https://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficM...80-2/203199011
Old 02-19-2018, 05:38 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Another mod I did was to add 3"s to the outer edge of the mattress platform. Keeps the mattress from sagging off the outer edge and sliding towards the floor. I actually removed the entire original piece of plywood platform, cut a new piece 3"s wider and reinstalled it with insulation underneath and the rug gripper on top. Others here just cut a 5'' strip and tacked it down with a 3" overhang. If you take the original plywood sheet off, you'll be amazed at how badly the support system underneath was done. I straightened and reinforced all the platform supports.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:53 PM   #5
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Exclamation Indeed

This has vexed me also, I'm a wide framed guy and it always feels like I'm falling off the bed because I sprawl a bit when I sleep...

This has to go on my list as impossible to ignore/must address as unacceptable...

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBigfoot View Post
Another mod I did was to add 3"s to the outer edge of the mattress platform. Keeps the mattress from sagging off the outer edge and sliding towards the floor. I actually removed the entire original piece of plywood platform, cut a new piece 3"s wider and reinstalled it with insulation underneath and the rug gripper on top. Others here just cut a 5'' strip and tacked it down with a 3" overhang. If you take the original plywood sheet off, you'll be amazed at how badly the support system underneath was done. I straightened and reinforced all the platform supports.
Our solution also. But we raisedthe outer edge a couple inches so the mattress slants toward the wall.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:57 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
We carry extra (older) rugs for when it's really wet or muddy out. I store then under the mattress and they keep the mattress from slipping.
bunni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:52 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Consider this system:
http://www.frolisleepsystems.com/products1.html

It will hold your mattress in place AND provide airflow beneath, which you should have, AND allow you to further adjust your mattress feel. Frolio systems have been mentioned in several other threads.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:33 AM   #9
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
I'm using this on my 2018 FC25RT and it seems to be working.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:42 PM   #10
RJJ
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 20' Flying Cloud
St Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott View Post
Consider this system:
http://www.frolisleepsystems.com/products1.html

It will hold your mattress in place AND provide airflow beneath, which you should have, AND allow you to further adjust your mattress feel. Frolio systems have been mentioned in several other threads.

73/gus
Whoops!! Too late... already have AireFlow. Wish I'd seen this first.
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:33 PM   #11
LRC

Currently Looking...
Valdosta , Georgia
how to keep mattresses from slipping?

added a 1 inch lip to edge of twin bed platform....worked like a champ!
LRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:43 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
I am considering using a 24" long Stainless Steel Handrail attached to the bed platform on the three sides of the mattress to keep it in place. There is a handrail available from West Marine that looks like it would work.

I'll start with one on the foot of the bed to see how it works. May have to use a backer board to add stability to the plywood platform.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:45 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
second for the anti slip pads used under rugs. I actually also put some under our mattress cover so the bedding stays put. With the open air design of the rubber matts, there is no heat build up and the bedding stays in place.
Fred L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:20 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , FL
Use the small pillows

Our friends shared this trick. To keep twin mattresses in place, lodge one of the small decorative pillows (the ones on the floor after a day of towing) between the mattress and the center bed stand.

Works great!
Bob Peahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:45 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Trouble is...my side of the twins caused me to wake up during the night with the feeling I was rolling off the mattress to the centre of the aisle.....and I was. When I took the plywood platform off, I discovered only several short pieces of 1" x 2" supporting the platform and they were actually sloping towards the aisle. I straightened some of those up and added more supports where possible. With that and the anti slip pad plus the extra 3" of platform, a good nights sleep is now possible in my Airstream.

If you read my posts above, this is how my platform looks now. Also added new 3/4" foam weather stripping along the aluminum wall to fill in the gaps where cold air was migrating upwards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4581.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	414.8 KB
ID:	304612  
Old 02-20-2018, 06:35 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Henderson , Nevada
Keeping mattresses in place

I used car floot mats turned upside down and screwed in place. I used two from a Honda we owned and sold without the front floor mats. I used dry wall screws tp anchor mats to plywood points up. Mattress hasn't moved since.
utah bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:30 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
On another thread, probably that "we've made some changes" one, someone unscrewed the original plywood, moved it out a few inches, backfilled next to the wall with a few inches of new plywood (basically so the "seam" wasn't near the edge" and then put a strip along the edge of the plywood that formed a 1" or 2" high "lip". According to that person it not only provided more edge support when sitting on the bed, for example, but also kept the mattress from sliding. I haven't done anything with our FB twin mattresses but if I did it would probably be that (first I'm gonna try that rubbery stuff; I'm small so the slight overhand in width doesn't bother me)
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote