Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2019, 06:34 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
2021 30RB Classic
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I don't. I very seldom ever use my surge protector anyway. I only use it if I know that a huge thunder storm is on it's way.

If you saw the melted 30 & 50 amp plugs, chords and charred receptacles I see working maintenance in an RV park, you would NEVER leave your RV surge protection in the trailer.
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:20 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
I very seldom ever use my surge protector anyway. I only use it if I know that a huge thunder storm is on it's way.
I stopped at a nice commercial park in North Florida. My usual plan is to plug the surge protector into the pedestal and check the power before plugging the trailer in. The pedestal was dead. I called the office and they quickly sent out a worker (who was the owner). As he unscrewed the cover, the 50 amp outlet came off in his hands. It had NO slack, and the wires were just stuck in.
I'm surprised it didn't melt.
He had to move some spiders out of the way to get to the screws.
Beware park pedestals, they look nice on the outside but may be a jumble inside.

Long ago I bought this at an RV show. It talks to you. Good test before plugging anything in.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:22 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by twbucksr View Post
If you saw the melted 30 & 50 amp plugs, chords and charred receptacles I see working maintenance in an RV park, you would NEVER leave your RV surge protection in the trailer.
Hi, I always use my special made polarity tester first. This tells me if the polarity is correct and at the same time if the receptacle is tight. If the receptacle is loose or broken Etc. I bring out my 50 Amp dog bone; I never found one of those bad yet.

If you plug your surge protector into one of those bad receptacles it too will get melted.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote