Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2018, 08:11 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Camarillo , California
Pre-wired for tv satellite dome?
loft47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:07 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
It's a feature...

That wonderfully abstract post-modern metal disc on your roof is a signature of the hand-crafted nature of your aluminum artisanal home.

A robotically manufactured trailer would never add such a human touch to let the proud owner know a real live person was once on top of their mobile shelter crafting their rolling masterpiece, and if it did, the computerized laser inspection apparatus would flag it immediately as being out of carefully calculated specifications. Is that what you want? A perfect amalgamation of inhuman machines? This is Airstream!
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:52 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Have any of you checked your roof?

It’s the rooftop hardpoint mount for the anti-drone point defense system. The soon-to-be-released extra cost option scans for drone intrusions near the AS when boondocking, acquires the target using LIDAR and sound tracking, and takes the drone out using a pneumatic launch system to drop a large net over the drone. Range is about 100 yards. Airstream is still working on the problem of muffling the sound of the firing of thelaunch mechanism, and determining how to provide sufficient air pressure through standard PEX tubing and fittings.

We can only hope...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:15 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 19' Flying Cloud
ADA County , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
It’s the rooftop hardpoint mount for the anti-drone point defense system. The soon-to-be-released extra cost option scans for drone intrusions near the AS when boondocking, acquires the target using LIDAR and sound tracking, and takes the drone out using a pneumatic launch system to drop a large net over the drone. Range is about 100 yards. Airstream is still working on the problem of muffling the sound of the firing of thelaunch mechanism, and determining how to provide sufficient air pressure through standard PEX tubing and fittings.

We can only hope...
Well, there you have it. Mystery solved.
sncnidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:16 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Saint Thomas , Ontario
We have a 2018 FC 25 FB. I have spent considerable time on the roof planning and installing solar panels over the last two weeks. FWIW we have no such appendage that you describe on our roof. The solar combiner box is prominent, with three black SAE connectors.
CoorsLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:29 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
That looks like a piece of metal that has been cut out with a hole saw, a scrap that should have gone in the trash.
My guess; it came from the perimeter of the roof opening that the AC is mounted on. A hole is needed in the perimeter of the opening where the condensate drain and/or the power wire comes through. Someone tossed it onto the roof instead of dropping it on the floor during construction.
More likely from the hole needed for the tank vent next to it.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:28 PM   #27
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
That friend, is most assuredly a 2017, quality control token. Both the factory and your dealer missed and left behind!
It is construction waste left behind. Peel it off and throw it away...
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:50 PM   #28
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
We did our first factory tour a few weeks back and we were kind of disappointed with the amount of trash on the floor. Rivets, tape backing, scraps of all sorts, screws, and trash, and more trash, and more trash yet. IMHO, the “culture of trash” permeates into the attentiveness of the build and the quality of the workmanship and the attitudes that enable the delivery of a defect-free product. I don’t mean to imply that sweeping the floor will, in and of itself, result in defect-free deliveries, but, it would be one such element in starting a needed turn-around. Then again, every time a riveter has to stop and pick-up the rivets he dropped on the floor, that would be lost productivity and I don’t think Airstream ... errr ... ahem ... Thor ... would be happy with lost productivity. So, hire 2 or 3 additional broom pushers? No ... that would still not be culture changing in the guys growing rivets on the floor from continuing to do so ... or throwing trash into the underbelly, or between your ribs, or in the AC ducts, or round discs onto the roof. It must be an unsolvable problem... (sarcasm).

If you want to see something cool, open youtube and search for fastcap ... then watch a couple of those videos and tell me that Airstream can’t learn a thing or two about how to improve their processes...

No disrespect intended to the hard workers of our beloved Airstream factory ...
Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:05 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I'm pretty sure it's not covering anything. It looks like the knockout piece from a hole being drilled by a hole saw, and it just happened to have some adhesive on it, causing it to become stuck to the roof.
What he said.
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:50 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 19' Flying Cloud
ADA County , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I'm pretty sure it's not covering anything. It looks like the knockout piece from a hole being drilled by a hole saw, and it just happened to have some adhesive on it, causing it to become stuck to the roof.

Overlander was right. Just "debris" from manufactruring. Apparently, the service techs see it quite often. When cutting holes in the roof for air conditioners, antennas, vents, etc. the factory guys leave these pieces laying around. They must use caulk between the aluminum skin and whatever is underneath. Glad it wasn't covering an "Ooops."
sncnidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:37 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Maxim offers an upgraded skylight that has a rim. Not sure I understand how having it stuck on only with tape is an improvement over tape and screws and frame.
"In theory" the tape is VHB (Very High Bond) and holds securely.
It was preferred to drilling more holes.

As to the extra metal found on the roof, Thor experts discovered they could reduce their cost for disposing of trash by gluing one piece to the roof of every new Airstream leaving the factory. Less expensive Thor models get two pieces. Didn't you see the "Green" sticker?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:50 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
I have just installed a new Dometic AC Penguin 11 unit on our 25 footer. Did loads of research and discovered a few things. Dometic instructions are explicit in telling the installer that if using drip cups on the condensate, the extra gasket with the cups must be added on top of the factory installed gasket that comes with the unit.
When looking at how close those drip cups are on the roof, it looks like Airstream did not install the extra gasket. That cream cup should be a good one to two inches higher off the roof. Some people have said the cups are broken from torquing down the unit during installation. If the extra gasket is placed, this does not happen. Also the two condensate lines are badly crimped, this will cause the cups to leak out onto the roof instead of down the inner wall pipe.
Sorry to mention this but, go to the AC forum on here and you will see where a customer has had these problems, I have been putting in my bit to help.
jmpgino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:09 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
I had that also on my 2017 28' FC and it prevented them from installing the roof vent cover which we had on all our previous AS's. Maintenance manager told me it could not be installed due to the solar connection; I was upset, but I talked with a maintenance guy on the lot, and he said, yes he could install and remove the solar connector and patch it up...the manager looked a little upset with him and me, but I got it done in 15 min! I use portable solar so did not need/want the permanent roof top mount anyway.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:53 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1993 25' Excella
Flagler Beach , Florida
Wifi hole...........maybe
AFTER TAXES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:20 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Tigard , Oregon
Plate in 2018 Airstream Roof

Back in 2012, we purchased our new Flying Cloud from NW Airstream Adventures outside of Portland. As we were taking delivery of it, the representative struggled with the deadbolt, as it wasn't working properly. He kept fiddling with it until he badly scratched the trailer with the other keys on his key ring. Never said a word about the damage. We took it in to have a new deadbolt installed and to see if the damage could be buffed out (also discovered a water leak) and they put numerous holes in the flooring during the repairs. Again, they never took responsibility.

The takeaway is that many Airstream dealers are just dealers. They want the revenue but don't want any liability. Our dealer has no conscience. We have our coach serviced by a competent independent repair shop now. My guess is that your dealer will deny any knowledge of the damage. Reach out to the factory and see what they say.

I am so sorry that you have had this experience with you new Airstream. However, it seems to be common.
OR_Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:40 AM   #36
1 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bremertion , Washington
Those sky lights are "taped" on because plastic and metal expand and contract differently, if not allowed to "move" the plastic will crack at the corners and leakage will ensue
grunt98311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:46 PM   #37

Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsfranchek View Post
Our skylight blew off on I 40 in Oklahoma. We have a 2016 Flying Cloud 26U. It appears to only be held in place by double sided tape. Check yours. I can't believe that the skylight is held on the roof by strips of tape!
Our skylight blew off of our 2017 International two days ago while we were traveling to join the Canadian Rockies Caravan. I can confirm that the skylights are held on only by double sided tape. Made a temporary plexiglass patch, secured with butyl tape and screws with siliconcone sealant and duct tape over that. Hope it holds. I also secure the second skylight with screws and silicone sealant. Definitely need to replace these inferior skylights!
Wrongway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:32 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
tucson , Arizona
Mine did too!! Replaced it with a Maxim, it will last longer than I will.
dvgofaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:11 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
2008 25' Safari SS SE
Austin , Texas
Highly calibrated antenna for tin foil hats.

I would just scrape it off with an old credit/gift card, and clean up residue with goo gone.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:33 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
Been communicating with another member and sharing images that I have taken of my installation. Just went up to take an image of the unit and got a big shock.
Here is what I wrote to him....

Went to take an image but the sun is too bright at the moment.
When I looked the AC unit it had sunk down even more than the last time I was up there, a good month ago. Went inside and felt the five tightening bolts, they had all gone slack again. So it looks like the heat and weight have dropped her over time. The drain cups are not on the roof but not far off now.
So I could be wrong about the second gasket not being there. The second gasket on mine is now a quarter of its original thickness and the factory one looks un squashed, that one being the drain line one.
I am scratching my head now. Will have to retighten the bolts again and the roof is already bowing. I have purposely left the white cover off on the inside so that I can recheck the bolts, glad I did but this amount of loosening is a shock for me. It is bloody hot here, today 102 F the heat down here has to be contributing to this issue.
One thing for sure, up on a ladder with a flash light you can see if you have two gaskets or not.
Cheers,
James.
jmpgino is offline   Reply With Quote