Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2017, 09:59 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
High Point , North Carolina
Furnace

Couldn't find an answer to this so I appeal to the experts here. We have a new Flying Cloud which we'll be taking through cold temps next month. Could be 20-30F..the manual says there is ducting & insulation to protect tanks & plumbing from freezing while in transit but isn't clear on ....can the furnace be run while towing to keep it warm? I only anticipate 4 hrs of potential freezing temps before getting plugged to power.
Thanks all!
Rfriebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:06 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Rocklin , California
I would run up the temperature just prior to towing then shut the furnace down and drive with everything off.
Gamehawkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
In my opinion you could run the furnace while traveling. You could also run the fridge, but I'm sure others would not. As long as it is 4 hours at 20-30 above and not below I don't see a problem with having the furnace off. If you stop along the way you could also turn the furnace on .
Old 10-20-2017, 01:07 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Thanks...hopefully the weather won't be serious cold and running it before leaving & maybe at a stop half way there sounds good too. I guess what I really want to know is the furnace is 12volt so it run like the fridge while towing, yes?
Old 10-20-2017, 01:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Yes, the furnace fan is 12V with heat coming from your propane.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:50 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Thanks again folks...the manual says as much and goes on about it's protection but stops short of saying it can run in transit. Same with the fridge, I suppose to avoid the propane being on while driving controversy...I tow with my fridge on all the time. To me, anyway, it's no different than smoking in a car with a full tank of gas.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:58 PM   #7
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
I have set my furnace at 55 and towed with it on for 4-5 hours in below 0 F temps. Kept the coach right at 55, and of course supplied heat to the underbelly/tanks/water pump. I did however turn it off before pulling up to fuel pumps.

Also, what I will do to mitigate risk is a 'mini' winterization: make sure the water pump is off, and then open your low point drains (not the fresh water drain) and open all your faucets, and flush the toilet, allowing a lot of the water in the plumbing to drain out, which will continue with the varying trailer angles while towing (leave them open for travel.) Fresh water and holding tanks should be fine (especially if you leave the furnace on) and most of the plumbing will drain out the low points. Then close the drains and faucets before turning the water pump back on or hooking up to water.

One potential 'gotcha' is if you have an exterior shower. That is out in the cold basically. I will unscrew the hose at the faucet connection, and open the shower handle controls too (with the low points open) to drain the lines leading to it. Then I'll put the hose/showerhead in the trailer for travel. Remember of course to close those faucet valves again before turning on the water pump or hooking up to city water at the next location.

If it's really cold and for a long trip, I will also bypass the hot water heater and empty it as well, but a few hours in the 20s won't require that. Especially if you have the water heater on to heat the water before travel commences, the tank is well insulated and will not lose enough heat to freeze in your time frame.

I was in Tellluride 2 weeks ago and it got down into the twenties at night for a few hours...dog's water dish with 2 inches of water in it (outside) froze solid. I'm very careful about any freezing temps, especially in places like the outside shower.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:31 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
I have set my furnace at 55 and towed with it on for 4-5 hours in below 0 F temps. Kept the coach right at 55, and of course supplied heat to the underbelly/tanks/water pump. I did however turn it off before pulling up to fuel pumps.

Also, what I will do to mitigate risk is a 'mini' winterization: make sure the water pump is off, and then open your low point drains (not the fresh water drain) and open all your faucets, and flush the toilet, allowing a lot of the water in the plumbing to drain out, which will continue with the varying trailer angles while towing (leave them open for travel.) Fresh water and holding tanks should be fine (especially if you leave the furnace on) and most of the plumbing will drain out the low points. Then close the drains and faucets before turning the water pump back on or hooking up to water.

One potential 'gotcha' is if you have an exterior shower. That is out in the cold basically. I will unscrew the hose at the faucet connection, and open the shower handle controls too (with the low points open) to drain the lines leading to it. Then I'll put the hose/showerhead in the trailer for travel. Remember of course to close those faucet valves again before turning on the water pump or hooking up to city water at the next location.

If it's really cold and for a long trip, I will also bypass the hot water heater and empty it as well, but a few hours in the 20s won't require that. Especially if you have the water heater on to heat the water before travel commences, the tank is well insulated and will not lose enough heat to freeze in your time frame.

I was in Tellluride 2 weeks ago and it got down into the twenties at night for a few hours...dog's water dish with 2 inches of water in it (outside) froze solid. I'm very careful about any freezing temps, especially in places like the outside shower.
Thanks...reading what you've done is pretty much the plan I had in mind but reminding me of that outside shower is golden! This will be our first real cold weather excursion so I want to avoid learning 'the hard way' if I can..