Old 06-28-2019, 12:12 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Moss Point , Mississippi
Front AC condensation besides from drip tube

The front (15k) AC unit on my 2017 26RBT was replaced by JC about 6 weeks ago. I don't know if it was happening before the replacement, but I just noticed that not only does the condensation drip from the tube in the wheel well, but there is almost same amount dripping from the main dump valve face. Haven't really used since the replacement, have just hooked up here at house as we are loading for our next adventure. Both drips are only when front AC is on.

Anyone seen something similar? Is this possibly result of the AC replacement? Seems like this might dampen the sub floor leading to damage. Not easy to get to area to examine. Seems like condensation may be making its way down the outside of the condensate drain tube and running down generally to near the same exit point.

Any relatively easy way to try and check what is happening behind the skin?
Thanks in advance,
Dave

Dave-n-Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Your front AC is the one nearest the entry door, right?

I would recommend running the following test: Turn on both ACs, close all doors, windows, and vents, put a pan under the AC and then walk away until it is good and cool inside the trailer. Now, without leaving the door open too long, empty the drip pan, and repeat. The question you are trying to answer is does the AC dripping problem have anything to do with the humidity of the air inside the trailer. If the dripping stops, then it is just that you keep opening and closing the door, letting humid air come in contact with a cold AC. IF it keeps dripping read further:

So, assuming that your drain tube is not plugged or restricted, and that the pan or cups, or however the condensate is collected from the unit is intact, the next theory I would have is that you have an AC unit that is getting cold, and various surfaces of the AC are getting cooled bcause you are pulling in cool air as the trailer gets cool. If you open up the door now, you will let a bunch of humid air into the trailer, and when the air gets drawn into the AC, the humidity will condense on any cool surface, and probably drip onto the floor. This can also happen if humid air is being introduced into your AC from some other source, such as a gap in the foam sealing layer, or from any other point where wiring or coolant tubing penetrates the plastic housing of the AC. I had this same issue when the butyl sealant sagged and allowed a continuous stream of humid air into my AC.

You can check the foam seal by removing the "ceiling unit" and looking up into the hole where your AC is mounted. In order to inspect for any other leaks and gaps, you will have to get on the roof and remove the shroud that covers the AC.

good luck!

Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:34 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Moss Point , Mississippi
Thanks for response. I'm on a 20amp circuit at the house so can't run both ACs. Yes, the 15k is the one at the front (entry door end). The AC is brand new, my previous unit had quit cooling/heating so JC replaced about 6 weeks ago under warranty. I have a de-humidifier, but not sure I want to run it along with the 15k AC to dry out the inside air. But your suggestion is a good one, maybe I can isolate if the unwanted drip is coming off of inside surfaces of the AC unit separate from what drips into the cups and down the regular drip tube. I'll be camping tomorrow nite w/50amp hookup so will try your suggestion.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
You could try removing the inlet vents for the AC in the ceiling, and then check if you can see where the tube connects on the AC end. Make sure it's a tight non-leaking connection on that end.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:53 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Moss Point , Mississippi
Problem solved

Thanks for suggestions. Took off one of the ceiling intakes which gave me access to the plastic tubing and 'tee' for condensation. The tube leading down was full of water and was backed up towards the pan or cups. I was able to take the down tube off the 'tee' and blow through it to clear the partial blockage.
Old 07-07-2019, 12:19 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Frederick , Maryland
I love a happy ending! :-)

DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote