Old 01-11-2016, 08:34 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
First time out - few issues

Picked up my FC 28 two days ago and spent the day finding storage for all the junk that came out of my Winnebago motor home that we traded in for the AS. My wonderful wife did most of the work, and miraculously, most everything got put away.

In setting up for the first time, the trailer hitch wouldn't let loose of the ball and only after a neighbor came over and worked the latch several times and stood on the truck part of the hitch did it finally come loose. I had greased the ball so I'm not sure what the problem was. Maybe just because it was brand new.

Than that evening we tried to watch Netflix using the HDMI and I discovered it needed a wired network connection. I have no idea how to do that but I guess it doesn't have WiFi capability. I finally ended up pulling the HDMI cable and inserting my Chromecast dongle and lo and behold, it worked like a charm. Nevertheless, I'd like to hear how to set up internet since when I turn on HDMI with the cable plugged in, I see Netflix plus many other streaming sites that I'd love to be able to watch without having to connect from my iPad.

I also can't seem to find the auxiliary generator input not that I need it now. Just curious where it might be since I understand that all of the longer AS models have one in front. I looked in the battery box but no luck.

So far everything else seems to work. I was worried our F150 with ecoboost wouldn't be enough truck but so far it seems to have towed just fine. Of course we're down here in the Tampa area, so it's pretty flat. I've also kept the speed at 60 or below. The Equalizer hitch is not too noisy. We'll see when we head back home through the hills of West Virginia.

I was wondering if we go somewhere for just one night and just want to stay hooked up to the truck if that would be OK since to level the trailer, we'd need to raise the front lifting the back of the truck. We do that briefly to connect and remove the equalizer bars, but will it hurt just to leave it raised with the truck attached?

Thanks for everyone's encouragement earlier, and I'm looking forward to being an active part of this community.

Richard

Old 01-11-2016, 08:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Welcome Richard, you have a very nice trailer.

I can't help you with your tech questions but others will soon.

When the hitch doesn't come off the ball you might want to look at three things. First, it could just need lubrication. If you lube the ball over time this should take care of that. Secondly, if there is pressure on the ball when you try to unhitch it becomes difficult. If your trailer is leaning into the TV as when on uneven ground and lastly, the hitch itself has an adjustment that tightens the clamp to the ball when engaged. Have the dealer look at this.

Unhooking is perfectly fine but it is a good idea to release the bars and to unhook the umbilical from the TV. Raising the back of the TV a bit won't cause any big problems.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Another thing that can bind the hitch is when backing into a spot, there is usually some "twisting" of the tandem axle tires. This puts a steady side load on the hitch connection, and it can be more difficult to separate the ball from the coupler.

We always back into a spot, then pull ahead about a foot or so (as straight as possible) to release the twist on the tires. This twist may also put unwanted side tension on the tongue jack while parked on a site.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:47 AM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
usually good to pull slightly ahead.. which can be done by putting TV in neutral and allow the 'pressure' to minimize.

With the trailer off the ball, actuate the latch many times with spray of something like WD40..but a rust cutter will work better, inside and out. Put a bucket or rags underneath to catch the drips.

After cleaning up with WD40 and wiping out, (could be rusty in there..) let the lube soak a bit..

Now, are you pulling AS with a 'receiver' hitch on the TV? If you are, the next step is easy. Take the receiver end off TV and see if you can easily insert into the socket of the AS hitch.. Goes in smoothly? Good! Now, try latching and releasing... goes smoothly? Good!

If you have difficulty inserting.. are you sure you have the correct ball size? Has the AS hitch ever been replaced or 'bent'?? Could be an issue...

Remember, there is a lot of tongue weight which can make hitching up seem ok.. but difficult to release..

NEVER put your fingers underneath inside the ball/socket area when there is a 'load' either up or down on the AS tongue!! Unless you can lose some digits and have a Paramedic nearby.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:53 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
usually good to pull slightly ahead.. which can be done by putting TV in neutral and allow the 'pressure' to minimize.

With the trailer off the ball, actuate the latch many times with spray of something like WD40..but a rust cutter will work better, inside and out. Put a bucket or rags underneath to catch the drips.

After cleaning up with WD40 and wiping out, (could be rusty in there..) let the lube soak a bit..

Now, are you pulling AS with a 'receiver' hitch on the TV? If you are, the next step is easy. Take the receiver end off TV and see if you can easily insert into the socket of the AS hitch.. Goes in smoothly? Good! Now, try latching and releasing... goes smoothly? Good!

If you have difficulty inserting.. are you sure you have the correct ball size? Has the AS hitch ever been replaced or 'bent'?? Could be an issue...

Remember, there is a lot of tongue weight which can make hitching up seem ok.. but difficult to release..

NEVER put your fingers underneath inside the ball/socket area when there is a 'load' either up or down on the AS tongue!! Unless you can lose some digits and have a Paramedic nearby.
The hitch and ball are brand new installed by the dealer. I greased the ball before hitching up. I am in a pull through site though I did back onto leveling blocks. I should probably pull forward onto levelers in future.

Anyway, I'm hoping it's just that it's a new hitch.

Richard
Old 01-11-2016, 10:28 AM   #6
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
50 amp service to rigs with dual a/c's don't have the forward shore power access.
Unless something has changed for the '16's 30 amp service.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
I suggest you adjust the tongue jack until you see a slight movement between the coupler on the trailer and the support for your hitch ball. That's the sweet spot where the coupler will open easily.

If the tongue jack is too high, some of the weight of the TV is being supported by the coupler mechanism, and that makes it very difficult to open.

Once the coupler is open, finish raising the tongue so that you can drive the TV forward.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:47 AM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Make sure you SECURE the AS!!! Up on blocks especially and if tires not squarely on the blocks Or/and there is any discenable slope.

Find some "Xshaped" lock that goes between the tires.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We're fans of the X-chocks or other similar designs that go between the tandem axle tires. Chocks can move and don't work as well when the trailer is on leveling blocks. We use both chocks and X-chocks, only takes a minute to put them in.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:56 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
You'll figure the hitch thing out after 3 or 4 overnight stops. Mine works fine 8 out of 10 times and the other two times it sticks and it can cause some adrenaline sometimes, to the point made above make sure the trailer is blocked and secure anytime you unhitch, the trailer will immediately roll in the direction of the grade it is on. Staying hooked up saves time the next day and we've done it multiple time but do unplug the TV from the trailer. Most of all enjoy that new Airstream! I installed an Apple TV in mine and I have a portable internet hub so I can be mostly certain (depends on a good cell provider signal) of a stable and fast connection. The Chrome dongle is the same concept and it sounds like it works great. My experience is that the internet service provided by the RV Parks tends to get "throttled down" as you use more and more bandwidth.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Congratulations on your new trailer!
Hitch:
Pull forward, reverse, ever so slightly depending un uphill/downhill to release pressure- coupler will come right off the ball!
Internet:
You must either have a Wi-fi router or use your cell phone as a Wi-fi hotspot to use any internet features on the television- or use your Chromecast-
Generator input:
There is no generator input unless you have one custom installed. You can use the regular shore cord.
Equl-i-zer:
Grease it! Push grease into every joint, nook, cranny- everywhere you can get grease on the hitch head and get the Sway Jacket Brackets to cut down noise at the L-brackets.
Hope this helps.
Enjoy your trailer!
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post

...And, while the TV is in neutral, chock the front AND rear of at least one TV wheel.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:26 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Welcome!

One more suggestion on releasing the hitch in addition to all the good ones here. The Airstream release is a little tricker than some others in that it has a safety locking mechanism so that you must slide the latching lever forward/backward a small amount before you can fully raise it to release. Try this while not attached to the tow vehicle, and you'll quickly learn how much forward or backwards you need to slide the latch assembly to get it to open/close easily. Once you have this down, it may by itself be enough to let you unhitch, even if there is a bit of load on the ball for all the reasons stated. Nice to try the easiest solution first!

Definitely chock your trailer--we favor a chock that cranks between two of the tires, too. We almost never disconnect the hitch or Equalizr for an overnight, and since our rig is balanced almost perfectly level, we've not had to use the jack to level. In those rare situations where the whole space faces radically downhill, we would chock the wheels, and then use the power jack to raise the tongue. In that situation (very rare), our personal preference is to disconnect the tongue from the ball, but you can certainly do it the other way.

ALWAYS disconnect the umbilical when parking overnight! If you get a cold night (or day and night) and run the furnace for many hours, combined with other amp draws on your batteries, you may drain them, at which point the coach will pull storage from your TV's starter battery. During our initial shakedown cruise, before we added additional batteries and beefed up the very weak factory solar, we were out in boonies and woke up with zero power to trailer and truck--not a happy situation! So even though we've beefed up electrically, we always disconnect the umbilical as part of the set up camp routine, and re-attach as part of the leaving camp deal.

Have fun!
Old 01-11-2016, 02:58 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Eddie Bauer
Wausau , Wisconsin
The new trailer hitch needs to have the latch lever slid twards the tow vehicle before you can release it and pull up on the latch the above post is right on. Try it with the trailer off of the vehicle. I had the same issue and called the place we picked it up and they id not know.Think I read it in the Newbie book later LOL