Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2019, 06:36 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Fanwood , New Jersey
FC28 Window and Door

Hi,

I've been fantasizing FC28, and I've watched walk-thru videos. I noticed something. The rear bed model has a door and the two big windows on the curb side, and when the door opens, it seems to block one of the windows.

That itself may not be a problem, but if the window is open, wouldn't the door potentially damage the window, say if it swings open on a windy day?

How do people with FC28 deal with this issue?

Thanks,

Atsushi
Atsushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:55 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Clayton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atsushi View Post
Hi,

I've been fantasizing FC28, and I've watched walk-thru videos. I noticed something. The rear bed model has a door and the two big windows on the curb side, and when the door opens, it seems to block one of the windows.

That itself may not be a problem, but if the window is open, wouldn't the door potentially damage the window, say if it swings open on a windy day?

Thanks,

Atsushi
We love all the windows for the light they let in and the view out. We often open the window to the rear of the one that would be hit by the door, but have never opened the one that has the potential conflict.

Probably poor design on Airstream's part, but we haven't found it to be too big a deal.
TV: 2017 Ford F250 Lariat w/ Blue Ox Sway Pro
AIRForums #126944 WBCCI #1297
Baby Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:35 AM   #3
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atsushi View Post
Hi,

Atsushi
I believe that AS thoughtfully designs the trailers to maximize the view.

If the door is open for ventilation you have a great view out the door but the window is blocked from opening. Not really that bad. And, if the door is closed you get another huge window to view the outside on a cool or rainy day.

Would you prefer two non opening oval windows next to the door like on our 25' RB? The door can't swing the other way because the awning arms would prevent the door from opening past 90 °.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:42 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Fanwood , New Jersey
Thanks guys for your response. I think the relative position of the door and the window is less than ideal, but I don't think it's a huge problem. But I do think that AS should have made the one in the front (next door) not to open. If I get 28, I would probably not open it. If I open that one, I think it's just a matter of time that someone (wife) swings open the door and hits the window.
Atsushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:03 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
2021 30RB Classic
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Texas
I would like to think the door opening direction is to ensure it would stay closed if it happened to unlatch while traveling.
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:29 AM   #6
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by twbucksr View Post
I would like to think the door opening direction is to ensure it would stay closed if it happened to unlatch while traveling.
Sorry, not so. Front door units (rear bedrooms) open towards the rear for the same reason - to avoid conflict with the awning arm.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:46 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

One of the first things I did when we got ours was to remove the prop arms so that window can’t be left open, so it can’t be hit by the door.

We don’t miss its not opening at all.
WHERRWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:25 PM   #8
kpayne

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Shreveport , Louisiana
Yea, I noticed the same issue after I bought my 28. Honestly, it has not been very much of a problem...I just never open that window and use it strictly for the light and view. Just open the one next to it.
kpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:51 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grapevine , Texas
Fc 25 fb

Look at the 25-ft Flyng Cloud, Front-bedroom. No conflict with the door/window, and you get to see scenery instead of the rear-end of your tow vehicle while sitting at the dinette!
tommyglen is offline   Reply With Quote