Old 08-31-2016, 01:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Longview , Texas
FB or no ?

Well we thought we were receiving our 26U this week. Found out it was damaged in transit ... Now we have the decision to re-order or switch gears.
We've been wondering if maybe the FB layout would be better suited. Most of the campsites (that are back-in) have the most privacy/scenery to the rear obviously.

Please chime in with your experiences please...

D

Old 08-31-2016, 02:12 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Texas
Darrell.
I agree that the sites that I have been in the last few years the best views are out the back of back in sites, but some pull through sites have a view out one side or the other. One of the reasons I bought the 23D was to have views out both ends, I like to have coffee in bed sometimes and look out the window! The 26U has a nice layout, if that is your first choice you may be able to find one in stock with the options you want at another dealer, go pick it up and make an adventure out of the trip back with it, don't settle for your second choice!!
My 2 cents worth.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
What bad luck. Sorry to hear about the hassle.

This is a tough one since everyone has their own wants and needs. If you focus in on a single issue, like the FB layout, you might miss out on some other items that will be important to you.

We have an FB and I like it. Of course, we bought ours used and since it was a good deal, we jumped in. Now that I have seen and sat in many others I can see the desire for a 26 and even the 30 with the better seating options. BUT, I agree with your observation. All most all of the places where we camp, the view out the back is much better than out the front. We do NOT spend any time lying around in bed looking out the windows. We do sit at the table with a cup of coffee and enjoy the early morning views of the lakes, forests and rivers though.

Whatever you do, get something that you like. Realize that when you pick choice "A", you will lose out on some of the things choice "B" had to offer. I like to think positive. It is all good. Best wishes in your hunt.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:41 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Eddie Bauer
TX , Texas
FB has been ideal for us.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . we traded an FC 28 w/rear BR for the Pendleton, which is effectively an FB 27. As much as I like the Pendleton, I think I preferred the previous floorplan, with sofa across the front & side dinette. In the Pend, only way to watch the TV is at the dinette ? ? ? Also no pano in BR seemed like a better idea.. . . and doesn't 'seem' like we have quite as much storage. . . Just my 2 cents worth. . . .regards, Craig
Old 08-31-2016, 02:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
To me the placement of the bedroom is not an issue. The view varies at different sites, I can't say it's consistently better front or rear. The other things that are different in the layout are what's important, and that varies person to person.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 08-31-2016, 03:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
I have a RB & love the ability to see what's going on in front of me at the campsite. Just once in about 100 nights out in the last 14 months of ownership did I think a FB would be nice as I backed into a site overlooking a beautiful running creek.
Also the RB model has a slightly larger bath room ( about a foot), and a window that the FB does not have. Personally I like looking out while shaving or just washing my hands. Now for dislikes, no lounge chair in either model, a situation I plan to rectify in mine.
TAC FL-47
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:01 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Had a FB. Loved it. Now have RB. Love it too. Sites and RV parks differ greatly and imho no way to consistently predict whether good view is F or B. Pick the layout you like best and go for it. If they damaged in transit ask for consideration ($ or add ons).
Old 08-31-2016, 05:14 PM   #9
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
FB vs. RB is a well-chewed discussion with lots of threads here on the topic.

We love our FB, mostly for the reasons the OP cited. That said, each must pick what's best for them. No matter what floor plan it is, it's an Airstream, and we hope you'll love it.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:49 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
We've had our 26U since March. Very pleased with it so far. We have the twin beds which I'd never give up. Separate spaces and a place to put your feet down when getting up or dressed . Easy to make beds. Not too many bumped heads on the overheads. Extra storage spaces on the outside. We don't mind the RB as we rather enjoy watching the world go by as we have coffee. You can always pull the curtains for privacy. Have been out about 9 weeks now, and most sites we've been in had a nicer view out the front of the AS. Most times we could move our truck out of the way for a nicer view. And that big, all in one bathroom is to die for! If you don't go for the 26U, take the 28' with twins in front or rear.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
The only downsize for me to the FB is you can,t use shorter campsites as that would place the entrance door off the pad.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:06 PM   #12
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
The only downsize for me to the FB is you can,t use shorter campsites as that would place the entrance door off the pad.

Kelvin
We've heard this concern before, but have yet to experience this issue.

OTOH, an issue we have experienced: in a rainstorm, you will need to tilt your awning so that the water pours off the front because tilting it toward the rear will interfere with the door. As a result, you and your visitors may get a substantial welcome shower on the way to the entry door if they aren't careful to walk around where the awning is draining.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:25 PM   #13
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Stay with the 26U. The combined toilet shower room has got to be a better deal than the split you get otherwise. MOOOC. Pat
Old 08-31-2016, 07:27 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Saint Robert , Missouri
We love our FB, we like to have coffee and meals looking out the rear window, for us, I thought that sleeping up front would be fine due to the fact that my TV is parked 4 feet away. I don't really look out the front window for that reason. We do enjoy the views all the way around but with my TV in the way we like the unblocked view of the rear dinette.