Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2016, 01:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Longview , Texas
FB or no ?

Well we thought we were receiving our 26U this week. Found out it was damaged in transit ... Now we have the decision to re-order or switch gears.
We've been wondering if maybe the FB layout would be better suited. Most of the campsites (that are back-in) have the most privacy/scenery to the rear obviously.

Please chime in with your experiences please...

D
DarrellT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:12 PM   #2
CAB & DAB

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Brenham , Texas
Darrell.
I agree that the sites that I have been in the last few years the best views are out the back of back in sites, but some pull through sites have a view out one side or the other. One of the reasons I bought the 23D was to have views out both ends, I like to have coffee in bed sometimes and look out the window! The 26U has a nice layout, if that is your first choice you may be able to find one in stock with the options you want at another dealer, go pick it up and make an adventure out of the trip back with it, don't settle for your second choice!!
My 2 cents worth.

Good luck with whatever you do.
dbdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
What bad luck. Sorry to hear about the hassle.

This is a tough one since everyone has their own wants and needs. If you focus in on a single issue, like the FB layout, you might miss out on some other items that will be important to you.

We have an FB and I like it. Of course, we bought ours used and since it was a good deal, we jumped in. Now that I have seen and sat in many others I can see the desire for a 26 and even the 30 with the better seating options. BUT, I agree with your observation. All most all of the places where we camp, the view out the back is much better than out the front. We do NOT spend any time lying around in bed looking out the windows. We do sit at the table with a cup of coffee and enjoy the early morning views of the lakes, forests and rivers though.

Whatever you do, get something that you like. Realize that when you pick choice "A", you will lose out on some of the things choice "B" had to offer. I like to think positive. It is all good. Best wishes in your hunt.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:41 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Eddie Bauer
TX , Texas
FB has been ideal for us.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . we traded an FC 28 w/rear BR for the Pendleton, which is effectively an FB 27. As much as I like the Pendleton, I think I preferred the previous floorplan, with sofa across the front & side dinette. In the Pend, only way to watch the TV is at the dinette ? ? ? Also no pano in BR seemed like a better idea.. . . and doesn't 'seem' like we have quite as much storage. . . Just my 2 cents worth. . . .regards, Craig
Old 08-31-2016, 02:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
To me the placement of the bedroom is not an issue. The view varies at different sites, I can't say it's consistently better front or rear. The other things that are different in the layout are what's important, and that varies person to person.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 08-31-2016, 03:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
I have a RB & love the ability to see what's going on in front of me at the campsite. Just once in about 100 nights out in the last 14 months of ownership did I think a FB would be nice as I backed into a site overlooking a beautiful running creek.
Also the RB model has a slightly larger bath room ( about a foot), and a window that the FB does not have. Personally I like looking out while shaving or just washing my hands. Now for dislikes, no lounge chair in either model, a situation I plan to rectify in mine.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Had a FB. Loved it. Now have RB. Love it too. Sites and RV parks differ greatly and imho no way to consistently predict whether good view is F or B. Pick the layout you like best and go for it. If they damaged in transit ask for consideration ($ or add ons).
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:14 PM   #9
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
FB vs. RB is a well-chewed discussion with lots of threads here on the topic.

We love our FB, mostly for the reasons the OP cited. That said, each must pick what's best for them. No matter what floor plan it is, it's an Airstream, and we hope you'll love it.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:49 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
We've had our 26U since March. Very pleased with it so far. We have the twin beds which I'd never give up. Separate spaces and a place to put your feet down when getting up or dressed . Easy to make beds. Not too many bumped heads on the overheads. Extra storage spaces on the outside. We don't mind the RB as we rather enjoy watching the world go by as we have coffee. You can always pull the curtains for privacy. Have been out about 9 weeks now, and most sites we've been in had a nicer view out the front of the AS. Most times we could move our truck out of the way for a nicer view. And that big, all in one bathroom is to die for! If you don't go for the 26U, take the 28' with twins in front or rear.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
The only downsize for me to the FB is you can,t use shorter campsites as that would place the entrance door off the pad.

Kelvin
Old 08-31-2016, 07:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
The only downsize for me to the FB is you can,t use shorter campsites as that would place the entrance door off the pad.

Kelvin
We've heard this concern before, but have yet to experience this issue.

OTOH, an issue we have experienced: in a rainstorm, you will need to tilt your awning so that the water pours off the front because tilting it toward the rear will interfere with the door. As a result, you and your visitors may get a substantial welcome shower on the way to the entry door if they aren't careful to walk around where the awning is draining.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:25 PM   #13
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Stay with the 26U. The combined toilet shower room has got to be a better deal than the split you get otherwise. MOOOC. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:27 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Saint Robert , Missouri
We love our FB, we like to have coffee and meals looking out the rear window, for us, I thought that sleeping up front would be fine due to the fact that my TV is parked 4 feet away. I don't really look out the front window for that reason. We do enjoy the views all the way around but with my TV in the way we like the unblocked view of the rear dinette.
W4NT3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:50 PM   #15

Here are a few of the pictures we get from the dinette with our FB. Not always like this of course, but sometimes...

Anyway, we report, you decide.

http://www.casarocinante.com/Travel/...14/i-XgLkmPr/A
http://www.casarocinante.com/Travel/...OA/i-7RJT2cC/A
http://www.casarocinante.com/Travel/...rk/i-2pHVpTR/A
http://www.casarocinante.com/Travel/...rk/i-Gnnprf2/A

Old 08-31-2016, 08:07 PM   #16
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
The 23 has the rear door position. We are quite often off the pad. Easy solution = mat and if it gets real bad, we drop some plywood load spread pads at the bottom of the step.

The one thing that is a problem are those wheel stops that some parks place at the back of the site. Steps hang too low to clear a lot of them.

Good luck with your investigation. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:26 PM   #17
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The view out the window is hardly the only consideration. That said, a view of the back of the tow vehicle is something I can do at home if I want, no need to take that with me. More often I am looking at other trailers from the dinette.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:30 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Views are what they are, some good and some not, doesn't matter. After 1,000 nights sleeping in our Airstream we like the bedroom in the back where it's private and quiet, living room in front behind the sun shades.

Buy your Airstream on practical considerations, which one works better of you. The long-term seating comfort of the front or rear dinette bench seats stink. I've heard the 26U is better; if you think so that's the way to go.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:41 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
To me the placement of the bedroom is not an issue. The view varies at different sites, I can't say it's consistently better front or rear. The other things that are different in the layout are what's important, and that varies person to person.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsgolf View Post
Had a FB. Loved it. Now have RB. Love it too. Sites and RV parks differ greatly and imho no way to consistently predict whether good view is F or B. Pick the layout you like best and go for it. If they damaged in transit ask for consideration ($ or add ons).
I like the messages here in that they both agree that what really is important will vary from person to person. I can't agree more.

We have camped for more than 30 years, the last 7 years in our Airstream and have pulled it (the Airstream) more than 30,000 miles. We have spent all of this time in the west. Draw a line from South Dakota to Texas and we have been to the west of that exclusively. Years ago I read comments about the views from the front and the rear of your trailer are petty equal. I frankly could not believe this until I pulled into a very crowded campground in Idaho and got to experience the view out the back that looked into the back of another trailer not very far away. I finally realized what those people were talking about.

I have noticed that this is a position few folks from the west share. On this single issue, I will continue to say that almost always (at least in the places I have been) that the view from the rear is far better than looking at the back of your tow vehicle. YMMV of course.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:43 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Depends upon where you mostly camp. We mostly camp in (western) State parks and forest service campgrounds. All are back in and in all case's the best view is out the back. The front view is of the truck, everytime. I've never camped in a RV park where the view is of the guy behind us. But we hardly ever camp in those plases unless desperate.

Again, where do you plan to mostly camp?
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote